Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Giroux to wear the C

We all knew it but never really because official or even in conversation until this...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld:

Claude Giroux could be named the next captain of the Philadelphia Flyers soon.
    Philadelphia GM Paul Holmgren hinted that a new captain will be named to replace Chris Pronger, who is still battling post-concussion syndrome. Giroux is expected to be at the top of the list. He was praised for his leadership after the team's first-round elimination of Pittsburgh in the 2012 playoffs by coach Peter Laviolette and the Flyers bench boss talked about Giroux's growing leadership skills again on Monday.
    of course COULD...

vCash
    inb4 Timonen.
    Last edited by Claude28Giroux; 01-08-2013 at 04:06 PM.

lol bryz

vCash
    With or without the C, G's the leader of the team.

vCash
    agreed

lol bryz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    With or without the C, G's the leader of the team.
    I'm not saying whether Giroux will make a good captain or not... I just don't know how other then his amazing shift in that Pittsburgh game that he has earned this absolute "leader" of the team. He is an exceptionally talented player, and he can be a game changer, but that doesnt make him an automatic captain. As a matter of fact, I believe he is guilty of taking games off at times. Much rather a year with Timonen as captain. That guy is a work horse, vocal, and much respected. Just my opinion.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    wouldn't be suprised if Briere or Timonen get it. I personally perfer Giroux, but we'll see

vCash
    I'd rather Timonen. He's already incredibly respected. Giroux has the talent, but he's still young compared to the older guys in the locker room.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    wouldn't be suprised if Briere or Timonen get it. I personally perfer Giroux, but we'll see
    Personally I would rather give Giroux a few more years to develop his game. I think there are some other good canidates for Captaincy. Timonen is 1. Talbot and Hartnell are good choices as well. You want someone that shows up every night and plays hard. Someone that works well with coaches and the team. I would not choose Briere just for the reason he is a really streaky player, he disapears for most of the regular season. Not to mention he takes I lot of undiciplined, dumb penalities... Not the kind of example you want to set for Schenns, Couts, et all.. Again, I would hold off on Giroux just for a while to see how he continues to develop.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Let Giroux have it. You need some sort of continuity on the captaincy. We've gone from Smith, to Richards (2 years) to Pronger....going to Timmonen or Briere when Giroux is clearly not on the captain on ice, but also the captain in waiting, is just continuing this perpetuation of no continuity.

Giroux demanded the C last year in the playoffs, just give it to him.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    I'm not saying whether Giroux will make a good captain or not... I just don't know how other then his amazing shift in that Pittsburgh game that he has earned this absolute "leader" of the team. He is an exceptionally talented player, and he can be a game changer, but that doesnt make him an automatic captain. As a matter of fact, I believe he is guilty of taking games off at times. Much rather a year with Timonen as captain. That guy is a work horse, vocal, and much respected. Just my opinion.
    I completely agree here. Why is it that so many people are quick to point to that one shift in the Pittsburgh series and say he was a the leader in last years playoffs but seem to forget he was sitting in the press box when we got eliminated because he lost his composure in the New Jersey series and ended up taking a selfish one game suspension?

I love Giroux but I think its too early. He only just broke out as a star last season. Lets give him another year or two to build on last years success before we add the pressure of being captain. I personally think Timonen or Hartnell would be better choices and would love to go with a dark horse like Maxim Talbot. Giroux will have his time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    I'd rather Timonen. He's already incredibly respected. Giroux has the talent, but he's still young compared to the older guys in the locker room.
    i think this is right right and respectful thing to do ... especially if this is his last year here

vCash
    i think if they aren't gonna name G the captain, then they should leave it blank until he's ready.

honestly, G is the leader of this team. he leads by example, he leads on the bench, he leads in the locker room. anyone that watched the 24/7 series on HBO knows what i'm talking about when i say all these things. he's the guy that sets the tone for this team.

more importantly, he says himself that he is ready. this isn't like when the Flyers gave it to Richards and basically forced it upon him, thinking he was the next Bobby Clarke. G has stated publicly that he is ready for it, it would be an honor to wear the "C", but that he wouldn't politic for it.

i say if the Flyers want to give it to him, they should.

if they don't think he's ready, then leave it off someone's chest until G is ready. you don't NEED a temporary captain, which is all Briere or Timonen would be. the Flyers have done that the past like 7 captains they've had.

it's time to put the captain carousel to rest. either give it to G and let him wear it for the rest of his career or just have 3 "A"s until he's ready. either way G is the next captain of this team and should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    i think if they aren't gonna name G the captain, then they should leave it blank until he's ready.

honestly, G is the leader of this team. he leads by example, he leads on the bench, he leads in the locker room. anyone that watched the 24/7 series on HBO knows what i'm talking about when i say all these things. he's the guy that sets the tone for this team. more importantly, he says himself that he is ready. this isn't like when the Flyers gave it to Richards and basically forced it upon him, thinking he was the next Bobby Clarke. G has stated publicly that he is ready for it, it would be an honor to wear the "C", but that he wouldn't politic for it.

i say if the Flyers want to give it to him, they should.

if they don't think he's ready, then leave it off someone's chest until G is ready. you don't NEED a temporary captain, which is all Briere or Timonen would be. the Flyers have done that the past like 7 captains they've had.

it's time to put the captain carousel to rest. either give it to G and let him wear it for the rest of his career or just have 3 "A"s until he's ready. either way G is the next captain of this team and should be.
    I watched the 24/7 but I didn't come away thinking Giroux was the leader. They just showed him the most because he is the "Face" To me Jagr came off as more of a leader. The guy came to the rink like 2 hours before everyone else, he worked with the young guys, and he was more concerened about the team then his own point totals.

vCash
    What follows assumes that Giroux will at some point become captain of this team (which I think is a safe bet).

Because of what a captain does in the locker room, I think it's kind of hard for us to argue whether he should get it now or later. Although 24/7 gave you an inside look at what usually occurs behind closed doors, remember that Giroux was in the midst of recovering from a concussion. Furthermore, 24/7 took place halfway through the season--a lot could have changed between then and the end of the playoff run. The point is that we don't know if Giroux has matured into the total leader that the pre-game-6 story suggests that he has become or if he still occasionally takes shifts/games off (for which Pronger yelled at him during the 2010-2011 season). He clearly is the best player on this team, and he doesn't seem to shy away from the media like Richie did. The only thing that would keep G from being named captain is if he hasn't showed to the rest of the team behind closed doors that he's ready. And that's a factor that we can only really guess at.

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    I watched the 24/7 but I didn't come away thinking Giroux was the leader. They just showed him the most because he is the "Face" To me Jagr came off as more of a leader. The guy came to the rink like 2 hours before everyone else, he worked with the young guys, and he was more concerened about the team then his own point totals.

a) G also comes to the rink early

b) G works with the young guys as well; just isn't noticed as much because, well, he is still one of the young guys

c) if you honestly think G is concerned more about his point totals than the team, there's something wrong with you

just about every clip they showed of G was him pointing at guys, telling them where they should be, what play they were going to run, what they could improve on from their last shift, jawing at opponents and getting in their head, picking the brains of the veterans to learn more and making suggestions to them as well.

hell, the practice before he came back against Dallas, he literally said to Lavy that he didn't want to rush back because he didn't want to hurt the team, to which Lavy replied, "are you kidding me?"

so i'm not sure what you saw, but i could not disagree with you more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast