Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Buyout Speculation

This is a pure speculation thread to start conversation again, and I also do not know the exact rules but I know the wings have 2 buyouts that do not count against the cap. Does anyone have any ideas for those? Also my question is do we have to use those by this year? Or when is the deadline does anyone know?

I hope we can use them next off season. I see Sammy being a big red target for me. If we can use them up to the next next offseason (make sense?) I could see us using one on Mule IF his production is horrible this half year and the next year. His contract is pretty damn big.

Anyone else have any ideas, or pipe in with the rules if you know what they are I just havent read enough on the new CBA to know.

vCash
    Not Bert? The thing is, I don't see the need to buy anyone out. None of the contracts are as outrageous as some of the more recent ones (Hudler, Leino hahahha, suckers). I can really only see Bert being the candidate for it just because he's the oldest one now and he's real spotty. Eaves maybe, although I'm not sure they can cut a guy on IR. We do have too many RWs. I'm hoping Mule steps waaaaaay up this year. Maybe Sammy... tough question Pidg.

vCash
    Berts contract isnt as bad as Sammy's so I thought Sammy would go first. They both produce at about the same level and Bert uses his body much better (usually) and is just more intimidating on the ice. If I had to choose between the two Bert would stay. We do have a lot of RW's on paper but their lefty's so they can transition to the left side.

I guess all in all though the only real person we would have to buyout would be Mule considering everyone else is on such short contracts. I mean even Sammy's is up by the next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Berts contract isnt as bad as Sammy's so I thought Sammy would go first. They both produce at about the same level and Bert uses his body much better (usually) and is just more intimidating on the ice. If I had to choose between the two Bert would stay. We do have a lot of RW's on paper but their lefty's so they can transition to the left side.

I guess all in all though the only real person we would have to buyout would be Mule considering everyone else is on such short contracts. I mean even Sammy's is up by the next year.
    true. i dont wanna see bert go. as much as he pisses me off sometime.

vCash
    What about big E? If he doesnt meet expectations again this season would he maybe be bought out? Think Big E makes more then Ian White right now...yikes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    What about big E? If he doesnt meet expectations again this season would he maybe be bought out? Think Big E makes more then Ian White right now...yikes.
    That would mean Kindl as #6 (I'm assuming Smith is up, his twitter feed says he's headed to DET now.)
    Don't really like either one E or kindl.
    Last edited by westhockeytown; 01-08-2013 at 09:41 PM.

vCash
    I like Kindl not Big E. If he doesnt produce well in a top 4 slot this year I think a buyout is a real option he has a large cap hit for what he brings.

vCash
    So is this new buy out anything like the NBA's amnesty clause?

Catches: 19 Yards: 171 TDs: 1

vCash
    Yes it is. We have two buyouts that can be used after this season or the next. The player still gets all money owed but does not count against the cap. I dont know how the payout works for the NBA but I know if for example a player has 2yr 4 mil remaining on their contract they will get the 4 mil paid out over 4 years (double the contract length). The team who buys out the player cannot sign the player (this im not 100% on but I believe its how it works)

vCash
    I don't see the Wings using the buyout option at all this year because they currently have $8,757,955 in cap space for this year; however, the cap for next season is going to be 64.2 million and the Wings currently have a cap hit of $61,442,045, but if the Wings take on anymore free agents, or make any trades, they might use the buyout option next year. Also, the Wings will have 6 free agents next year - Filppula, Cleary, Brunner, Miller, White, and Howard and 4 restricted free agents - Nyquist, Mursak, Kindl, and Smith.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    I don't see the Wings using the buyout option at all this year because they currently have $8,757,955 in cap space for this year; however, the cap for next season is going to be 64.2 million and the Wings currently have a cap hit of $61,442,045, but if the Wings take on anymore free agents, or make any trades, they might use the buyout option next year. Also, the Wings will have 6 free agents next year - Filppula, Cleary, Brunner, Miller, White, and Howard and 4 restricted free agents - Nyquist, Mursak, Kindl, and Smith.
    Good call. I don't see the buyout being exercised either, unless Mule is dreadful this year and we cut ties next year. Other than that, it wouldn't make much sense.