Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Post Hammond in talks about getting a extension

John Hammond is in talks with Milwaukee Bucks' owner Herb Kohl on a contract extension.

Hammond became general manager of the Bucks in 2008.

Hammond was named NBA Executive of the Year for the 09-10 NBA season.

https://twitter.com/cf_gardner

vCash
    1250 WSSP ‏@1250WSSP
    John Hammond RT @jpcadorin: "The senator and I are in the process of working out an extension for me"
    =Twitter

vCash
    Bucks general manager John Hammond confirmed this morning that he is in discussions with team owner Herb Kohl over a contract extension.

Hammond spoke to reporters at the BMO Harris Bradley Center to discuss the exit of coach Scott Skiles. Hammond described it as a mutual decision after a meeting Monday and said he did not expect it to happen when he went to work Monday.

Jim Boylan will take over as coach for the final 50 games of the season and Hammond said there would be no coaching search at this time.

"Our goals haven't changed," Hammond said. "We still expect to have a good season. We still expect to be a playoff team. We still expect to win. With all that being said, that kind of prompted to look at it and say maybe now is the time to do that."

The Bucks were 16-12 after a victory over Miami on Dec. 29 but have lost their last four games.

There is uncertainty surrounding the franchise with Hammond in the last year of his contract and Brandon Jennings becoming a restricted free agent and Monta Ellis having a player option on his deal at the end of the current season.

"I will say the Senator and I are in discussions involving an extension for me at this point," Hammond said. "I am willing to discuss that."

Hammond said the uncertainty was something that can be handled.

"It's a part of what we all deal with," Hammond said. "We have an owner that is committed to winning; we have an owner that is committed to having the Milwaukee Bucks here long-term. Nothing has changed in that regard. Nothing is going to change in that regard.

"People can talk; people can write about that. The rest of it is, change occurs. We're excited about the opportunity for Jim Boylan. He's not interim coach. He's going to coach this team for the remainder of the season and we expect him to do very well."

Will Boylan be considered after the season?

"Sure," Hammond said. "We'll see how things play themselves out. If he's our coach today, he's going to be our coach tomorrow and have an opportunity to move forward as our coach."
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/186043581.html

vCash
    Yes!!!!!!
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    I'm really not sure about Hammond, but I'm really not sure if there is better out there right now. For a small market team like us he's probably the best we can get.

vCash
    He's quietly gotten a ton a nice players here. We literally need that ONE guy now.

Lamb
    Harris
    Udoh
    Henson
    Jennings
    Mbah Moute

All guys he's brought in here.

Also has done a decent job of at the very least trying to get new faces in here to try and give this team a short term face lift.

He simply needs to get lucky with a draft or trade and get THAT GUY.

vCash
    People give Hammond the Alexander bust. But remember the entire scouting staff was fired before Hammond took the job. So he was under pressure.

vCash
    Nah I give him a pass on that one. Really, I thought at the very least Alexander could be a hustle player.

Apparently he couldn't even find that.

vCash
    He's done pretty much as good of job as anyone could have expected. He's handed out a few unfavorable contracts, but what else could he do? He inherited a mediocre team with the expectation of keeping them competitive and that's what he's done. I think we have a bunch of nice, albeit maybe not matching pieces, but the best thing to do is assemble talent and hopefully swing it for peices that fit weaknesses.

As much as everyone seems to dislike Ellis, we basically traded a constantly injured center and a team cancer for Ellis and Udoh, which is a pretty good deal when you look back on it.

vCash
    Hammond has been pretty good. As far as the draft, his only bad picks were Alexander, Gallon, and Hobson. Alexander and Hobson were both popular picks at the time (still can't believe Alexander completely busted.) Gallon was a late 2nd rounder, not much was expected there anyways.

He has been pretty bad when it comes to giving out contracts. Dunleavy was a good contract, but Gooden, Salmons, Illyasova, were all bad deals and everyone pretty much knew it. Mbah Moute is meh. Maggette was technically a trade, but it was basically just taking on a contract, and it was another bad move. I mean Gooden, Salmons, and Illyasova could be 3 of the 10 worst in the NBA.

Trades he has been good. The Bogut trade was brilliant, because not only was Jackson bad money, but Bogut really was too because of how much he has been hurt (and was hurt at the time of the trade.) Getting Ellis and Udoh for bad money was a steal. The trade that got ride of Salmons and Maggette was absolutely incredible. The initial Salmons trade was also a very good one. The Dalembert trade was a fine one. He hasn't played much but nobody really saw Sanders emerging like he has this year coming.

So, he has been very good at trading and drafting. He has been bad when giving new contracts and signing free agents.

I would like to keep him around, and hope that he has learned a few things about contracts.

vCash
    http://journaltimes.com/sports/baske...9bb2963f4.html

Woelfel and Sparky talk about 2-0 Boylan and Skiles out. Then they say the team was mentally fragile with Skiles. Afraid to miss a shot then get a quick hook from Skiles. Now there relax and the younger guys out horsing around having a good time. Then they discuss Hammonds possible extension.

Sparky suggests if Kohl sells new owner should say well here's a 3 year deal but draft and develop like the Packers only resign our own guys that deserve it. No going out signing Ersan's or Gooden's. Only keeping worthy players RFA like Sanders and Jennings. Them two were funny as usual arguing.

vCash
    i would love to keep hammond here another 4-5 years if possible! IMHO he's done a very respectable job considering what he's been given....his 3 "bad" draft picks were gallon who was a late 2nd who no one knew what he'd be but had to big of an ego for his own sake. His other one was Hobson who could have been a good player but i think the injure and the surgeries really took him out of what could have been at least a good maybe even possibly great career. The other pick was Joe Alexander who many bucks fans on this site including myself were screaming for because he seemed like hell of a player in college with a crazy amount of hops who could bring alot of above the rim excitement and at least be a hustle player....I personally think he just wasnt mentally prepared for the work it would take to be a good player at the next level and that he'd get away with relying on his athleticism and that wasnt the case.

Only other knock on Hammond so far is the contracts he's dished out but the Salmons deal seemed like the right thing to do after we got him mid season and he really showed to be the missing piece n help us get to the playoff but then he got paid n became lazy and came back down to earth which in hindsight was a bad move for us but if he kept up what he did the first half of season we had him we would have been a playoff team every year since... Drew Gooden had said he wanted to be a buck before the offseason we signed him and he also had a decent career as a PF before coming here and if he would have kept that up next to a healthy Bogut we would have been in a good spot still, but once again in hindsight it wasnt the best thing for us with the amount he's been paid for his production. I also think Bogut not being healthy and us not having a banging Center downlow goes against what drew could do but we could still always amnesty him this offseason. The 3rd bad signing is Ersan Ilyasova but the thing is he really had a break out year last year and is still only like 24-25 years old with a lot of potential and with Henson here Ilyasova could be one of the best 6th man in the league in a year or two. Also depending on the direction of the team Ersan has seemed to draw alot of interest from alot of teams and could possibly be used to help land us that "A LIST" player the bucks lack.

So looking back on the few bad moves he's made every move seemed to be the best/right move at the time not to mention how many good players he's helped bring in and drafted or resigned i mean just the past few years Jennings, Dunleavy, Lamb, Moute, Harris, Henson, Sanders, Ellis n Udoh for an injury prone C n a team cancer, not to mention we will see how the Ilyasova signing turns out also.

so overall with what he has been giving i think he's done hell of a job. I also think if bogut never suffered that nasty fall we would have been in the playoffs every year after we drafted jennings!

Overall im really happy with what he has done and the direction that he has this team going!
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    I feel like his moves in free agency and trades has hurt our team. I understand he wasn't given much when he got here but it seems like there has been a lot of dumb trades along the way.

T4C, I understand were one player away but it seems like we've been that way for awhile. First it was suppose to be Jennings and then Ellis, I mean I understand it takes time to build chemistry and I like where the team is going but it's just like when? We haven't seen a good Bucks team in awhile and I think were due.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wissportsfan View Post
    I feel like his moves in free agency and trades has hurt our team. I understand he wasn't given much when he got here but it seems like there has been a lot of dumb trades along the way.

T4C, I understand were one player away but it seems like we've been that way for awhile. First it was suppose to be Jennings and then Ellis, I mean I understand it takes time to build chemistry and I like where the team is going but it's just like when? We haven't seen a good Bucks team in awhile and I think were due.
    I need to be forthcoming about this. I personally NEVER thought Monta was going to be "the guy." I watched him play in G.S. and just didn't like what I saw. Sure the dude could score but he did exactly what he does here just with more freedom with the ball.

I thought from the beginning of this trade that it would slow Jennings' development, and it did.

I will say this you get a 2 in here who can handle being posted up by his man, and can hit outside shots this team could be completely different looking. Problem is when Monta and Jennings are in together Jennings becomes stagnant which really hurts our offense.

Anyone who thinks Brandon can't create for teamates simply is looking only at stats and not watching the games. Like I have stated before I have not missed one minute of one game this year, and my god I can only imagine how many passes (easy passes) have been bobbled and dropped or turned over when Jennings throws them the ball.

For instance against the Bulls this happened 3 times last night again twice. For some reason our guys cannot catch passes.

Here is a list of guys that I think we could draft and make immediate upgrade at the 2 position:

Ben McLemore (highly unlikely)
    Shabazz Muhammad (I could only dream)
    Glenn Robinson III
    Kentavious Caldwell
    Jamaal Franklin(who I really want)

vCash
    Can Glenn Robinson III play sg? NBAdraft.net labels him a sf at 6'6".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast