Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Need Some Suggestions

Okay, so I'm starting over because I haven't been getting the results I want on my old workout routine. So this is the one I set up and I started it today. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and my goal is to add as much muscle as I can in the next couple months.

I know nothing about getting where I want and I've tried reading up on what is the best to do to get where I want as far as reps and types of workouts and all that, but there are so many different opinions that I don't know which to trust. A friend of mine helped me come up with the current workout I'm planning on going with, but I don't know how much I can trust him as far as how much he knows, so I'm looking for input from as many people as I can get it from.

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 160-170

Fitness level: I've been lifting 3 times a week with light cardio a fourth day for the past two months.

Have you ever followed a fitness program before: Yes, my routine is listed.

What are your goals: In the Wolverine / Thor range / adding muscle.

How much time do you have available to dedicate to your goals: I have a very open schedule.

Do you have access to a gym: I have access to a standard bench bar, a chin-up / pull-up bar, sturdy chairs that work perfectly for dips and dumbbells.

If you are seeking diet advice: For about two months I just ate as much as I could from pizza to copious amounts of steak (recently went off a vegan diet that I was on for 7 years). Now, I'm trying to eat a meal once every three hours consisting of vegetables (broccoli, spinach, cauliflower etc.), protein (red meat, chicken, fish) and grains (brown rice / quinoa).

Are you taking supplements: Not at this time, but willing if there are good suggestions.

Any injuries: Fractured knees when I was under a year old, cause slight arthritis, but it isn't much of a factor.

Week 1:

Day 1:
    Bench (4 sets, 4-6 reps).
    Bent over row (4 sets, 4-6 reps)
    Pull-up (4 sets, 4-6 reps)
    Dips (4 sets, 4-6 reps)

Day 3:
    Squats: (4 sets, 4-6 reps)
    Deadlift: (4 sets, 4-6 reps)
    Hamstring Curl: (4 sets, 4-6 reps)

Day 5:
    Chin-ups: (4 sets, 4-6 reps)
    Close-Grip Bench: (4 sets, 4-6 reps)

The second week, I plan to up the reps to 6-8, the third week I plan to up them to 8-12 and then the fourth week I plan to go back to 4-6.

Then I'm going to repeat these steps for weeks 5-8.

After those eight weeks, I'm told that it's going to be changed up again and that this is the exact workout routine Chris Hemsworth used to get in shape for Thor, but I don't know how reliable that is.

I'm wondering why I would go back down to 4-6 reps in the fourth week, and at what points (if any) I should add weight. Before this, I was doing some different lifting at 3 sets of 3 reps, so I'm going to bring the weight down a bit, but when should I add weight.

Also, is there anything in there that looks like it's missing? Not necessary? Keeping in mind that I only have a standard bench press with one incline position and no decline, two bar bells, a chin-up/pull-up bar and a way to do dips. Any comments, critiques or further advice in any aspect would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Tongue-Splitter; 01-08-2013 at 02:59 AM.

vCash
    Well to start 6 reps and under is for strength, 8-12 is for putting on size, over 12 is toning.

So I would pick a goal and stick with it.

Next I don't really get your workout

Day 1:
    Bench (4 sets, 4-6 reps). Chest/tri's
    Bent over row (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Back/Bi's
    Pull-up (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Back/Bi's
    Dips (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Chest/Tris

Day 3:
    Squats: (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Legs
    Deadlift: (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Legs/Back
    Hamstring Curl: (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Legs

Day 5:
    Chin-ups: (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Back/Bi's
    Close-Grip Bench: (4 sets, 4-6 reps) Chest/Tris

I would go with a 4 day split

Day 1
    Chest Tris'

Day 2
    Back Bi's

Day 3
    Shoulders/Traps
    Use your bar to do shoulder presses and shrugs.

Day 4
    Legs

Possibly invest in some dumbells. It will add options to your workouts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    Possibly invest in some dumbells. It will add options to your workouts.
    Forgot to mention that I do have dumbbells.

vCash
    I would say one simple thing. Focus......You have a desire, yes. You have a goal., don't stop until you reach that goal. It sometimes takes a single focus, don't allow distractions (IE- social, parties, drinking, hanging pals).

The key to sucess is mans free will. Good luck and remember...focus

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    You said you didn't see results in the previous 2 months, so what was your weight when you started? If you aren't seeing results it is most likely diet related. If you want to add muscle you need to eat so that you are gaining say .75lb a week. Yea, you will gain a little bit of fat too but it is necessary to gain some muscle. You can lose the fat pretty easily once you gain some muscle.

For your workout, there are some successful plans the rotate the rep ranges weekly so that shouldn't be an issue. I would eliminate the third day of your workout and just keep the two workouts. The first day is essentially your upper body day and the second is your lower body day. Still workout 3 times a week but keep rotating the days

Week 1
    U, L, U

Week 2
    L, U, L

Week 3
    U, L, U

Throw in a little core work every once and a while and you should be good to go.

vCash
    focus and intensity

what i would do is date a girl, break up and have that post-relationship motivation

vCash
    I'd join a gym so you have access to different forms of equipment. Watch how quickly you break that plateau!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Wasn’t sure where to put this question so figured I would just dump it in here….

I’ve been doing lower body workouts pretty consistently now for about 2-3months, 1-2x per week. Workouts typically consist of squat, deadlifts, leg press, leg curls, and some variation of calf raises.

Anyways, I’ve been seeing pretty solid gains but it seems like after a couple days I’m always sore as all hell. I’m assuming this is a good sign though, no? Supposed to do my 2nd leg work out of the week today but still pretty sore, do I need to do anything differently than I did from the first lift in terms of weight, reps, etc..?
    Last edited by levignjw; 01-10-2013 at 07:45 AM.

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    Soreness is a good thing! That means you put your muscles to the test!
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    That's what I figured. How should that effect me on today's lift though? I remember last time I was sore and tried to power through my leg workout, during my first set of squats I felt a sharp, almost burning pain in my right quad and had to hang it up.

Maybe I'll just go through a lengthier stretch prior to my lift this time

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by levignjw View Post
    That's what I figured. How should that effect me on today's lift though? I remember last time I was sore and tried to power through my leg workout, during my first set of squats I felt a sharp, almost burning pain in my right quad and had to hang it up.

Maybe I'll just go through a lengthier stretch prior to my lift this time
    Make sure you warm up pretty good before you get into heavy weights. Do a bunch of high rep low weight sets ramping up to your work set.

vCash
    Will do, thx. You still on McDonald's upper-lower split?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I'd join a gym so you have access to different forms of equipment. Watch how quickly you break that plateau!
    I agree with this. You cannot grow in your home. You need to build a base with food. Remember food is the KEY TO EVERYTHING when working out. You are past the age of eating anything to grow. You need to eat qualities protein and qualitie carbs to grow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    I would go with a 4 day split

Day 1
    Chest Tris'

Day 2
    Back Bi's

Day 3
    Shoulders/Traps
    Use your bar to do shoulder presses and shrugs.

Day 4
    Legs
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    If possible, this is what u should do. No doubt u'll blow up way faster doing this. Only thing I'd change is not pairing chest/tris together and back/bis. Maybe chest/bis and back/tris would be a better combo.

Like someone said earlier, your diet may be holding u back too. Cuz two months of working out should have definitely lead to some gains
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Okay, I'm going to go with the suggestion of going with a 4 day split instead of a 3 day.

Would anybody be so kind as to organize a workout based on the bench bar, chin-up bar, dip and dumbbell equipment at my disposal into a 4 day workout?

Day 1: Chest / bi's
    Day 2: Back / tri's
    Day 3: Shoulders / Traps
    Day 4: Legs

Three to four workouts for each group based on the equipment I have at my disposal? Or a bunch of recommendations so I can decide which I prefer? I'm moving to a different state in a couple months, so I don't even want to consider a gym membership until then.

Also, if 6 reps and under is for strength and 8-12 is for putting on size, would it be too counterproductive to do 4-6 reps one week then 8-12 the next week and go back and forth? Maybe do a little toning once ever four weeks?

Thanks for the help so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast