Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    What I dont understand is where you saw anything that has lead you to believe he is a #1? His best season was last year and he didnt play a full load and his stats were still pretty average (unless you count the year he played 19 games). Your right I quoted you wrong, but he has never shown he could be a true number 1.....or healthy. There.

If average means a legitimate number 1 to you then ok, good luck. It doesnt to me. Goaltending has been key to the last...how many cup wins or great playoff runs? Harding has NEVER put up these kind of stats a full seasons length. If he gets the chance and does it this year then we have a different story next year. But he never has. So Backstrom stays as insurance.

Im not saying im confident in Backstrom, because im not. But im much more confident in Backstrom and his stats and record than I am Hackett or Kuemper. Im not arguing for Backstrom here, im arguing against Harding being a true #1 right now and it being a smart idea to bring up a kid from the AHL who needs longer there. So the stats comparison thing is a moot point. Its true Harding was suppose to be the #1 here eventually, but he has had many setbacks with injuries and he is still only what 28? Thats pretty young to be a starting NHL goalie. So give him this year with Backstrom as insurance, or vice versa, and see what happens. But you dont trade away your true starter just because you can get a prospect.

Yes a waste, you trade half your goalie duo for a prospect or pick that might not even pan out. The waste being you would have to have Harding play 20 more games and risk having a kid who should be in the AHL be a backup. Its a complete waste of what Backstrom could bring to the team. Yes we get nothing if we let him walk, except his play this year which will probably be as good as/better then Harding and for sure better then Hackett or Kuemper would be at this level.

Again I agree with Roloson but its another different issue and I dont know why we are arguing about this it has nothing to do with Backstrom/Harding. And we get under the cap at the expense of Jake Dowell, who should not even be on an NHL team. Or from Kassian. As a matter of fact according to capgeek we are under the cap so it doesnt matter (our payroll is above but not our cap).

Its not what you said but I also didnt say you said that I asked you if you really thought he could come over and be a #1. Your words sort of implied that I forgot about him and not to count him out coming over from Europe because thats what Backstrom did and he surprised everyone and became a #1. Implying Gustafsson could do the same.

This all changes if one of two things happen. The Wild arent in playoff contention come deadline or Harding is playing well has taken the number one spot and someone blows us out of the water with a high end prospect or high pick (1st rounder) and a new backup for Harding.

vCash
    I see the aeros signed Mara to a contract. Seems like a legitimate shot a being with wild at some point this season. Be nice to have another experienced d-man on the team.

vCash
    He has been mostly a - player for his career, but if we have any injuries on the blue line we got a legit NHL vet to step in. That's a pretty good insurance policy.

vCash
    He would be fine. He has played on mostly bad teams which might explain his -. I dont know im actually a fan of his. For a big guy he has ok skating and has shown he can put up pretty decent numbers for being a shut down defender.

vCash
    With the injuries on defense, why didn't wild bring Mara to camp? Is there some reason that they couldn't, like a cap issue or just feel he's not ready to contribute yet?

vCash
    Looks like we're right up against the cap, about 417,800 in room. Doesn't leave us much to work with if it becomes necessary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco1 View Post
    With the injuries on defense, why didn't wild bring Mara to camp? Is there some reason that they couldn't, like a cap issue or just feel he's not ready to contribute yet?
    Didn't he play in the scrimmage??

vCash
    Yes mara was at camp, not sure if he is on the roster or not but he aifnes an AHL contract so he is either in houston or here

vCash
    After watching the first three games, and I realize its only three games, I've seen Backstom out of position more often then not. He looks slow to react and out of place. Our defensemen look weak in the corners and extremely slow footed. There has got to some value in trading Backstrom and Gilbert and bringing up younger dmen as soon as they get healthy.

vCash
    Scandella and Brodin will be brought in when healthy, but that doesnt mean there isnt a spot for Gilbert on the team. Someone like Clayton Stoner would be the one whos role would decrease. This team is not in a rebuild. After bringing Suter and Parise in, there main focus will always be the playoffs...Harding however, may be able to take the full time starting spot, which makes Backstrom expendable...just not sure how much interest there is throughout the league in him.

vCash
    Was thinking of trying to upgrade a weak d-core not rebuild it. Guess I've never been a Gilbert fan either. What do you think about Bouchard with Cullen and Setoguchi? Then move Granlund down with the bangers and grinders, he wouldn't have to spend as much time in the corners, wouldn't have the responsibilities of a center, it should give him a little more open ice to try to create.

vCash
    Speaking of Brodin, is he ready to step in to physicality of the NHL or do we let him mature and get acclimated in Houston then bring him in next year with the benefit of a full training camp and the year of seasoning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco1 View Post
    Speaking of Brodin, is he ready to step in to physicality of the NHL or do we let him mature and get acclimated in Houston then bring him in next year with the benefit of a full training camp and the year of seasoning.
    We need help on D, I am sure he gets a chance at playing in Minnesota.

vCash
    Do you think he's got the size to handle the bangin in the NHL? I thought when I looked at his bio he was tall but weight was like 173 or something. I'd hate to see them move him up to fast and get him hurt, he's got a chance to be something special for years to come.

vCash
    You think Dumba gets a game before they send him back? I'd like to see what the kid has got. Give him a chance to see what he has to work on for next year. Which is by the way when I think this team has a real shot at the cup.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast