Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

With new cab need to make changes now

With the new salary cap starting next year we need to make moves now to secure the future. Start by trading Backstrom, Bouchard, Heatley, Cullen. Maybe even a few mid level prospects. Try to get Stepan andMcdonagh from rangers, Jackman andStewart from St. Louis, and whatever picks if any we could get.

vCash
    Maybe even move Setoguchi, Powe, Chad Rau, and #3 and#6 to ducks for Bobby Ryan and prospect.

vCash
    Maybe even Granlund and Suter for Crosby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    Maybe even Granlund and Suter for Crosby.
    Granlund will be the GOAT

vCash
    Parise for Gretsky

vCash
    It is unfortunate that after we make a huge splash in free agency, the NHL decides to lower the cap. I think a lower cap is all the more reason to hold on to our prospects.

vCash
    Backstrom, Bouchard and Cullen hold almost no value at the moment. Their contracts are up in a matter of months and the salary cap is not lowered for this year. I am guessing Cullen and Bouchard if they were to come back next year have to take HUGE discounts. Cullen because of his age and diminishing role and Bouchard because of the injuries and by next year especially Coyle/Zucker will be ready.

Backstrom and Harding is our combo for this year (I wont lie I know little about his MS but it sounds like he should be able to play just fine with it). Hackett could be brought up next year if Harding is fine and we let Backstrom go. Or we could sign a different backup.

Heatley could be a target for one of our buyouts, but with the new cap no other team will want to take his contract making his value-less as well. I also think he will be one of the best players on our team now that he will have true 1st line talent with him again like when he was in Ottawa

As well the Rangers would never trade Stepan or Mcdonagh considering they are the rangers future and present. I wouldnt want Jackman from St Louis. Stewart I would want but not for the price of any prospect.

vCash
    I just want to see us dump some salary on overpriced older players. We have the talent in the minors, don't think most of its ready yet, would like to see us use that money to tie up young talent for years to come.

vCash
    I understand but all of those older player contracts you want to trade, expire before the young kids need new contracts. I mean Zucker we have 2 more years and Larsson, Coyle, Granlund all have 3 more years. Backstrom, Heatley, Cullen, Bouchard, Setoguchi, Gilbert and mainly our entire bottom 6 expire before the rookies need new contracts. There is a reason and that was planned by management. So there is no reason for us to trade any of them and none of them will bring back anything worth of value.

vCash
    I haven't seen anything about a trade deadline, anyone else see or hear anything?

vCash
    NHL said they will hope to have timeline and schedule out friday

vCash
    We have a really good core of players here for the long haul with Parise/Sutter/Koivu. I would like to see us dump some of our bigger salaries who are not core players for prospects as well. I would like to keep Harding because he is cheap, but we definitely are going to need to move Backstrom. We have some good depth at goaltending in the minors, so it would not break my heart.

vCash

?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco1 View Post
    With the new salary cap starting next year we need to make moves now to secure the future. Start by trading Backstrom, Bouchard, Heatley, Cullen. Maybe even a few mid level prospects. Try to get Stepan andMcdonagh from rangers, Jackman andStewart from St. Louis, and whatever picks if any we could get.
    With the exception of PMB why on earth would you trade these guys right away??? They are all known comodities... Solid players and Veterans on a DEEEEEP Team with a lot of potential youth...

If you want to trade them simply because of the Cap.. Your nuts.. three of the 4 have contracts that end after this season anyways... And those contracts will provide the wild with 13+ million in cap drop for next year.. IF the Cap goes from 70.2 or what ever it is at now, down to 64.3 next year.. with these three players contracts ending alone we are WELL Below that Cap number.. Maybe we then use one of our "exemptions" on Heater the next year but by all accounts he is GREAT in the locker room.. a constant worker and has the ability to put the puck in the net.. Granted 7Mill is not worth a 20 goal scorer.. but with only one more year it also puts us in a promising position the following year from a CAP standpoint too.. And no one will trade much for a 7mill per year 20-25 goal scorer unless its a deadline move for a midlevel pick at best.

If you want to trade them for some other reason (to get prospects maybe?) Good luck.. PMB will get you a half full bag of pucks in return with his health history.. Backs may get you something at the deadline, but why on earth would you trade him if you are in the hunt for the playoffs? Heater and Cullen MIGHT get you some return, but not on the level of prospects you are refering too.. And Again, if you are in the hunt why would you do it?

Not to mention when these guys are gone (Maybe they re-sign heater and Backs at a more friendly contract) that opens up spots for some prospects too.. And while we have a good depth of prospects right now.. there probably aren't more than 2-4 TOPS that are REALLY ready to make an impact in the NHL>> they would likely be better suited for another year or two of seasoning.. and that works well with the length of the contracts listed above..

Just my Humble Opinion

vCash

True But

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    It is unfortunate that after we make a huge splash in free agency, the NHL decides to lower the cap. I think a lower cap is all the more reason to hold on to our prospects.
    If you look at where we sit with the CAP. we have 15 million + coming OFF the books at the end of this year.. Thats not counting several players we may re-sign and or extend (including Scandella, Clutter, Spurgeon, Falk *All Restricted Free agents).. So the cap drop allone puts us down around 55million with just about 10million cap space going into next year. Lets say we extend these guys and they get raises we SHOULD still have some room to sign a rolle player or 3 OR 1 top 6 forward or top 4 Dman.

The next year we have another 20 million coming off the books (Gilbert, Heater, Stoner, Seto, Powe, Knopka, Kassian, Dowell, Prosser and the last year of Parish's buy out)

Lots of contracts to bring up young guys with another year of seasoning and plenty of room to go after a top guy or two and or SEVERAL roll players or resign a guy or two..

This team couldnt be in a better position..

Even if they are just outside of the playoffs, they have lots of Veteran players worthy of a trade to a contender.. And if they are in contention we have a lot of assets worthy of grabbing an extra guy or to for the cup push!

I do agree 100% on trying to hold our prospects with the exception of a potential playoff push.. but even then, I dont' think we should move much..
    Last edited by Tg1; 01-09-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom Listens View Post
    We have a really good core of players here for the long haul with Parise/Sutter/Koivu. I would like to see us dump some of our bigger salaries who are not core players for prospects as well. I would like to keep Harding because he is cheap, but we definitely are going to need to move Backstrom. We have some good depth at goaltending in the minors, so it would not break my heart.
    Backstrom isnt a core player? I have no idea who is then...Harding was just diagnosed with MS, and while it hasnt affected his career to this point there is no way I trade our starter and #1 goalie for prospects when we already have the best prospect pool in the league. We have no idea what is going to happen with Harding. Hackett is next in line and he is NOT NHL ready. He has shown some inconsistency at Houston and needs a year or two more there. And Kuemper is behind Hackett so I shouldnt have to say more about how he is not NHL ready. Also there is no reason to dump his contract when it is up in 6 months.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast