Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Itchy brings in all sorts of revenue besides jerseys, such as advertising from Japan, selling TV feeds to Japan and ticket sales from Japanese Americans, which I would bet is in the multi millions per year.

He pays for himself by Opening Day.
    Was JUST going to say this!

vCash
    This is definitely the most boring offseason I can remember. So tough to be excited about this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivory View Post
    This is definitely the most boring offseason I can remember. So tough to be excited about this team.
    More importantly, is that ur new gf?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    since when is a backup OF supposed to be a sexy signing? I think there are 2 extremes here, those who want to bash cashman for anything like signing a 4th OF and those who want to praise for signing hairston as hes the missing link.

I doubt he chooses us but if he did hes a solid pickup for us, its not like there are superstar OF's on FA and we have financial flexibility to go sign them. For the need this would be a solid pickup . Im not going to throw a party about it but im not gonna whine about the offseason either

We already knew its gonna be a transition year so why do we have to whine on every move , in every thread

vCash
    Overall he's definitely a mediocre player. Obviously everyone can tell this signing was not about the overall player though. It was about his performance against left handed pitching. In those games, he gives the Yankees an edge, and he is an above average player. When right handed pitchers pitch, he doesn't play, so he doesn't hurt the team.

I am excited about this move if it happens because he is, IMO, the best player available and I am extremely shaky on sending Matt Diaz or Canzler (is that his name?) out there on any given day. I don't know if it's excitement or relief, but it's a positive emotion, that's all I can really say. He gives the team a better chance to win against lefties, and provides some power to offset the loss of Nick Swisher and tightens the gap between 2012 Yankees right field production and 2013 Yankees right field production. For me, that's something I can get excited about, especially when considering playoff performances.

And this isn't about Cashman. If he doesn't get this done, I will actually be annoyed with him depending on why. What I'm trying to say is, you can't praise Cashman for something he hasn't done yet. For example, the Yankees were rumored to have contacted the Marlins regarding Giancarlo Stanton. I am not ready to praise Cashman for making that trade just yet. I am not impressed with him being able to contact the Miami Marlins. Nor am I impressed with his ability to put an offer out to Hairston. If we get him, I think it will be a good move. If we don't, then it will be a failure on Cashman's side IMO (unless the Mets gave him 2 years AND more money).
    Last edited by Phoba Rama; 01-08-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    since when is a backup OF supposed to be a sexy signing? I think there are 2 extremes here, those who want to bash cashman for anything like signing a 4th OF and those who want to praise for signing hairston as hes the missing link.

I doubt he chooses us but if he did hes a solid pickup for us, its not like there are superstar OF's on FA and we have financial flexibility to go sign them. For the need this would be a solid pickup . Im not going to throw a party about it but im not gonna whine about the offseason either

We already knew its gonna be a transition year so why do we have to whine on every move , in every thread
    This, I agree with.

vCash

What is this "transition year" you speak of?

vCash
    sounds like an easy choice for me
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    When people are this excited about Scott Hairston something has gone horribly awry.
    Championship!
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Marchand: Hairston not going to Yanks.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    I'm going to start a Shelley Duncan thread.

vCash
    Actually, every free agent should their own thread.

Anyone for Alex Cora?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash

The problem here is, I view Ichiro as a 4th OFer. So a platoon of 2 4th OFers seems weak. I was hoping for a better option to push Ichiro to the part time player I believe he is at this point.

vCash
    Source: Yanks pessimistic about Hairston

The Yankees are pessimistic about signing free agent Scott Hairston, a source with knowledge of the club's thinking said. Despite Hairston's agent, Casey Close, saying that the Mets and Yankees are two of the finalists for Hairston, the Yankees don't expect he will end up in the Bronx.

The source said Hairston will be able to get more at-bats elsewhere so it is unlikely he will sign with the Yankees.
    -- Adam Rubin, Mets Blog
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Itchy brings in all sorts of revenue besides jerseys, such as advertising from Japan, selling TV feeds to Japan and ticket sales from Japanese Americans, which I would bet is in the multi millions per year.

He pays for himself by Opening Day
    How much is "multi-millions"?

$2 million?
    $3 million?
    $4 million?
    $6.5 million?

As I understand it, MLB negotiates broadcasting rights with Japanese networks directly, and the contract has been in place for some time. I'm not sure anything would change since -- I believe -- a large percentage of games broadcast in Japan were already Yankee games.

However, it is my understanding that many teams have sold advertising rights in the stadium to Japanese companies because they had Japanese players on the roster, and the Yankees would benefit from these directly if they did the same thing. So, $6.5 million might very well be possible.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast