Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Youth is Served

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    1500

    Youth is Served

    At the end of 2012 the Mets average age as a team was 27.0 and since then the team has shed over 30 somethings Dickey, Shoppach, CYoung [for now], Hairston [for now], Acosta, Rauch, Lewis, Bay [good riddens], Torres [same], RRamirez while adding John Buck [32] and young prospects/rookies. That leaves Santana [33], Francisco [33], Wright [30], Hampson [32...who? AAAA reliever who had a few nice appearances] and Buck as the only five players on the 40 man roster over age 30 with nobody older than 34 [compared to the Yankees where 2/3 of the team is getting ready for Medicare]. By this time next year, if the Mets stay with young players instead of re-signing Hairston and Young or equal there is a chance that Wright may be the only player on the entire roster over 30! [Recker is 29 and Baxter, Parnell and Turner are 28]. I wonder in the history of baseball if that has ever been done?

    They could sign right now Jair Jurrjens [27], Delmon Young [28], and Jesus Flores [28]--three moves I would like---to round out their roster and keep that record intact.

    In 2014 we could have an all-youth team of quite talented starters Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Syndergaard, Jurrjens and Gee and a pen comprised of Parnell, Edgin, Carson, Mejia, Familia, Gorski [or another kid] and a pretty decent lineup of Puello/Nieuwenhuis, Murphy/Havens, Wright, Davis, DYoung, Duda, D'Arnaud, Tejada and Valdespin, Cowgill, JFlores, WFlores and Turner rounding out the bench. Will this happen? Unlikely...very unlikely we don't add some seasoning but it's fun in January to look at unusual scenarios and ponder the what ifs.
    Last edited by rdg515; 01-08-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    293
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    At the end of 2012 the Mets average age as a team was 27.0 and since then the team has shed over 30 somethings Dickey, Shoppach, CYoung [for now], Hairston [for now], Acosta, Rauch, Lewis, Bay [good riddens], Torres [same], RRamirez while adding John Buck [32] and young prospects/rookies. That leaves Santana [33], Francisco [33], Wright [30], Hampson [32...who? AAAA reliever who had a few nice appearances] and Buck as the only five players on the 40 man roster over age 30 with nobody older than 34 [compared to the Yankees where 2/3 of the team is getting ready for Medicare]. By this time next year, if the Mets stay with young players instead of re-signing Hairston and Young or equal there is a chance that Wright may be the only player on the entire roster over 30! [Recker is 29 and Baxter, Parnell and Turner are 28]. I wonder in the history of baseball if that has ever been done?

    They could sign right now Jair Jurrjens [27], Delmon Young [28], and Jesus Flores [28]--three moves I would like---to round out their roster and keep that record intact.

    In 2014 we could have an all-youth team of quite talented starters Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Syndergaard, Jurrjens and Gee and a pen comprised of Parnell, Edgin, Carson, Mejia, Familia, Gorski [or another kid] and a pretty decent lineup of Puello/Nieuwenhuis, Murphy/Havens, Wright, Davis, D'Arnaud, Duda, WFlores, Tejada and Valdespin, Cowgill, JFlores, and Turner rounding out the bench. Will this happen? Unlikely...very unlikely we don't add some seasoning but it's fun in January to look at unusual scenarios and ponder the what ifs.
    I know your just doing this for fun and I am cool with that. I just have a few things I would point out. I doubt Syndergaard makes it to the majors by 2014( pretty sure he is only 19). And I am sure we add players in 2014, which you did say. Jurrjens won't sign here since he is looking to latch on with a contender. Other than that looks good to me!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    293
    vCash
    1500
    Oh and Reese Havens won't ever be a starter in the MLB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,983
    vCash
    1500
    All I have to say is.... AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    We will never have an all farm-grown team nor should we hope for one cuz that would be one terrible *** team.

    You posted this two yrs ago, and again last yr, talkin about how we could have an all home-grown team in a couple yrs, but you keep making the same thread each yr with the ETA of this team being pushed back each yr, and adding new players into the mix cuz most the ones you mentioned the previous yr end up sucking.... This will NEVER happen but I guess we'll expect another one of these threads next offseason with a new group of young players listed, with the ETA of said terrible team being a year later.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    824
    vCash
    1500
    Oh to be young, not of major league caliber and yet to be playing at Citi field.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    All I have to say is.... AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    We will never have an all farm-grown team nor should we hope for one cuz that would be one terrible *** team.

    You posted this two yrs ago, and again last yr, talkin about how we could have an all home-grown team in a couple yrs, but you keep making the same thread each yr with the ETA of this team being pushed back each yr, and adding new players into the mix cuz most the ones you mentioned the previous yr end up sucking.... This will NEVER happen but I guess we'll expect another one of these threads next offseason with a new group of young players listed, with the ETA of said terrible team being a year later.
    Geez...lighten up bklyn...this is just for fun....I never said we would have an all home grown team but its nice if we solid talent at each position. Aren't you tired of the Mets cornering the market on fringe relievers and fourth outfielders and guys better suited as DHs? I look forward to having a well rounded team.
    Last edited by rdg515; 01-08-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,983
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    Geez...lighten up bklyn...this is just for fun....I never said we would have an all home grown team but its nice if we solid talent at each position. Aren't you tired of the Mets cornering the market on fringe relievers and fourth outfielders and guys better suited as DHs? I look forward to having a well rounded team.
    i know man... this organization is just frustrating and i just wanna have a good team already! i like the direction we're heading but just hope that when Harvey, Wheeler, d'Arnaud, ect are playing well with the Mets, that we actually spend money of some good free agents to help make a complete team. Cuz if we have to rely on the farm doing that, we're gonna be in trouble. It's already been almost 30 yrs since our last championship. I don't wanna end up like the Cubs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    i know man... this organization is just frustrating and i just wanna have a good team already! i like the direction we're heading but just hope that when Harvey, Wheeler, d'Arnaud, ect are playing well with the Mets, that we actually spend money of some good free agents to help make a complete team. Cuz if we have to rely on the farm doing that, we're gonna be in trouble. It's already been almost 30 yrs since our last championship. I don't wanna end up like the Cubs.
    I wonder if the next tier of Mets prospects will pan out. While the farm produced Davis, Harvey, Niese, Tejada, Murphy, Thole, Duda and Parnell as starters/major contributors we have waited for years to see FMart ultimately fizzle, Pelfrey show flashes then either fizzle or get hurt, top prospects like WFlores and Greg Vaughn and Mejia and Cesar Puello and Havens crawl in fits and starts....it would be nice to see these guys all put it together this year and reach their potential and stay healthy. The farm had a huge wave of injured players under Minaya...was it poor conditioning or doctors not doing their jobs in detecting serious injuries looming when a player was complaining about pain? That trenfd is fading but I agree we saw a bunch of blue chippers fizzle out. You cannot win without a good farm system and it looks like we just turned the corner.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    260
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheKing30 View Post
    Oh and Reese Havens won't ever be a starter in the MLB
    How much would it help this team out if he could stay healthy this season and regain the stroke we wall drooled about having in our lineup? We could trade Murphy to an AL team and have a legit defensive 2B to go with a very good defensive 1B and a more than decent defensive SS.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bergen County by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post
    How much would it help this team out if he could stay healthy this season and regain the stroke we wall drooled about having in our lineup? We could trade Murphy to an AL team and have a legit defensive 2B to go with a very good defensive 1B and a more than decent defensive SS.
    It would help a lot if Havens could play to his potential. One of my annual themes is Square Pegs....meaning a bad GM drafts players who lack above average defensive skills or either speed or power to play the position in the majors that they were drafted at. Every shortstop drafted from the Carribean or HS they figure can automatically play 2B or 3B or CF. If they are too slow they get moved to 3B....like Flores..then get blocked by a solid major leaguer like DW and are without a position. I predicted the moment DW signed that Flores will be taking flies in LF and RF in ST. Havens becoming another Tim Teufel quality player means Murphy moves back as 5th infielder or traded to a team who can live with a 10 home run hitting third baseman. Defense up the middle wins championships so you know the Mets are serious about winning when Murphy no longer plays second....you can teach the turn on the DP but range....you either got it or you don't and Murph ain't got it.
    Last edited by rdg515; 01-08-2013 at 10:19 AM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    925
    vCash
    1500
    Does RH'd OFer Juan Lagares factor into the Mets plans at all? With their lack of OFers that have speed, ability to play CF and hit LHP, I would think that he'd eventually get a shot...

    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=501571

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,117
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    All I have to say is.... AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    We will never have an all farm-grown team nor should we hope for one cuz that would be one terrible *** team.

    You posted this two yrs ago, and again last yr, talkin about how we could have an all home-grown team in a couple yrs, but you keep making the same thread each yr with the ETA of this team being pushed back each yr, and adding new players into the mix cuz most the ones you mentioned the previous yr end up sucking.... This will NEVER happen but I guess we'll expect another one of these threads next offseason with a new group of young players listed, with the ETA of said terrible team being a year later.

    I knew you would respond to this. In the exact way you did

    It's true though.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees
    78-74



    G: 136 | AVG: .250| HR: 4| RBI: 40| OBP: .299 | SLG: .303 | wOBA: .273 | wRC: 69

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,117
    vCash
    1500
    2015: Mets will have the best rotation in the NL. Book it.
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees
    78-74



    G: 136 | AVG: .250| HR: 4| RBI: 40| OBP: .299 | SLG: .303 | wOBA: .273 | wRC: 69

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,923
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post
    2015: Mets will have the best rotation in the NL. Book it.
    What do you expect to happen to the young studs in Washington?

    Hate to be negative, but the Nats rotation may be better right now than ours would be if all our top pitching prospects pan out.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    4,157
    vCash
    1500
    Might better put Havens in the outfield, we're giving everyone else a try out.
    " You seek Yoda!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •