Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Hairston Deciding Between Mets and Yankees, Ben Francisco also an option

Scott Hairston's agent, Casey Close, told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that he continues to talk with both the Mets and Yankees and that his client should make a decision on where he'll sign within "a matter of days."

Via Rotoworld

vCash
    He'll choose pinstripes.

vCash
    This really should be a no-brainer for him.

vCash
    I really liked Hairston, if I we're him, I want to win and get money I'd choose the Yankees. If he chooses the Mets I would gain so much more respect for him. I hate the Yanks, I'd cheer for him.
    My team, my city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Ewing33 View Post
    I really liked Hairston, if I we're him, I want to win and get money I'd choose the Yankees. If he chooses the Mets I would gain so much more respect for him. I hate the Yanks, I'd cheer for him.
    I think he comes back to the Mets because he wants to be a full time player, I think they are probably offering about the same money so he needs to decide does he want to play full time, or be a part time player for a "possible" contender

vCash
    He can hit 30 HR with the Yankees easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    I doubt that. He had a career year last year. I doubt he ever hits 20 homers again. We are talking about a 32 year old, 9 year MLB veteran who has been a 4th OFer for pretty much is whole career. You think those types of guys have 30 HR potential? Even in Yankee Stadium, no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    I doubt that. He had a career year last year. I doubt he ever hits 20 homers again. We are talking about a 32 year old, 9 year MLB veteran who has been a 4th OFer for pretty much is whole career. You think those types of guys have 30 HR potential? Even in Yankee Stadium, no.
    I don't know, I think its possible. He'd get his fair share of playing time with the Yankees and look at Andruw Jones. He hit 14 HRs in less than 100 games last year. And at this point in their careers, Hairston is a few big steps ahead of Jones.

vCash
    I hope he comes back to the Mets. I've made it no secret that I like the guy, and we are so desperate for outfielders that he would actually be better than any single outfielder on our roster (and hilariusly, he would probably be the worst or 2nd worst outfielder on the Yankees).

vCash
    Isn't he looking for $5 million????

Seems like a lot for a guy that doesn't fit into the future plans and who will not make much of difference this year one way or the other.

We might be better off saving the $$$$ and giving some of the young guys a better look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Isn't he looking for $5 million????
    I thought I heard 2 years for 9? I don't know. Who knows what he ends up getting, might be 5 per, might not.

Seems like a lot for a guy that doesn't fit into the future plans and who will not make much of difference this year one way or the other.

We might be better off saving the $$$$ and giving some of the young guys a better look.
    I'm all for that, but at a certain point, aren't you giving the young guys too much of a look, if you know what I mean?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    If he was a lefty, then maybe.

vCash
    Mark Hale ‏@HaleMark

Ben Francisco's agent, John Boggs, says #Yankees and #Mets have expressed interest in OFer. Three other teams interested too.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...one-adding-ofs
    Sandy Alderson joked in November about his outfield, "What outfield?"

Now, though, there is a reasonable chance the Mets may arrive at spring training with the most notable outfield additions since that comment being righty hitters Collin Cowgill and Andrew Brown.

If that is the case, the Mets likely would have Lucas Duda in left field, Kirk Nieuwenhuis and Mike Baxter as other lefty-hitting outfielders, and some combination of Cowgill, Brown, Brian Bixler and even infielder Justin Turner as righty-hitting outfield options.

"It's conceivable we'll go with what we have, but we're still looking," Alderson told ESPNNewYork.com on Monday. "I wouldn't say that we're satisfied with what we have. But if we don't find what we think is a meaningful upgrade, then it's possible we'll go with what we have. Yeah."

Alderson nonetheless added that free agents remain within the Mets' spending parameters that would qualify as "meaningful." He willingly acknowledged Scott Hairston falls into that category and still remains a potential re-signing.

The GM painted a less-likely scenario of a trade materializing to address the outfield.

"I still think there are some players out there, including Scott Hairston, who might be available as free agents," Alderson said. "A trade is always a possibility, but I wouldn't predict that. Other than that, I can't speculate what will happen. We're not unhappy with the position we're in right now, which is to say: still looking, with viable possibilities remaining."

Of course, Justin Upton has been widely speculated as a potential trade candidate from the Arizona Diamondbacks. Speaking generally and not specifically about Upton, Alderson appeared to agree with the sentiment that the Mets are not yet in a position where it makes sense to trade multiple prospects on the cusp of major league careers for a veteran in the prime of his career with a notable financial commitment. The objective, instead, remains to collect young pieces.

"As a general proposition I would agree with you," Alderson said. "But one of the reasons for acquiring as many prospects as possible is at some point being able to convert them into major league players, either as they develop or as part of a trade. At this particular juncture we're not eager to trade our prospects, and certainly there's some that we wouldn't trade. At some point that will become a reasonable option for us."

vCash
    I think I would prefer Francisco over Hairston. I remember Francisco from his Philly days a couple years ago and he played pretty well for them in his role.

I just want so see some new faces. We wont be winning anything besides 75 games in 2013 regardless, so I'd rather take the chance with Francisco and maybe we get a diamond in the rough. There is NO WAY Hairston produces better then what he did last year for us in 2013. We have seen his best stuff. I have a feeling the guy gets really exposed playing everyday for us and ends up really struggling...similar to what happened to the 4th OFer extraordinaire back in the day for us (Endy Chavez)...as soon as he started playing close to everyday he started playing like a bum.

Francisco would also be cheaper than Hairston. I wonder if Francisco would even accept a minor league deal. In any case, maybe the extra money saved would allow us to sign Marcum instead of Pavano for a 5th starter. Or strengthen the pen.
    Last edited by BradHolt4CYoung; 01-07-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast