Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Felton to test free agency?

Jerome Felton - RB - Vikings
    Jan 7 - 3:25 PM

Free agent FB Jerome Felton says he'd like to remain in Minnesota, but acknowledged that testing the free-agent waters is appealing to him.

Plugged-in beat writer Tom Pelissero believes Felton could command about $3 million a year on the open market. Any lead blocker would be crazy to not try to max out when they have the chance because the position absorbs so many collisions. "This is my first real opportunity to hit the free agency like I wanted to," Felton said. "But I want to be here, so hopefully, it works out."

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ll-player-news
    Vikings want to keep Jerome Felton
    January 7th, 2013 2:18pm
    by Tom Pelissero
    1500ESPN.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- In the locker room after Saturday's playoff loss at Green Bay, Rick Spielman embraced fullback Jerome Felton, who thanked him for the opportunity.

On Monday, the Vikings' general manager made clear Felton should have more opportunities in Minnesota, and Felton said he's interested -- if the price is right.

"They said they'll be aggressive in trying to get something done, and I hope that's what comes to be," Felton said. "I guess you never know how it's going to play out. This is my first real opportunity to hit the free agency like I wanted to. But I want to be here, so hopefully, it works out."

Felton is one of 14 players who finished the season on the Vikings' 53-man roster but are unsigned for 2013. He played this season on a one-year, $750,000 contract and ended up making his first Pro Bowl blocking for the NFL's leading rusher, Adrian Peterson.

"I don't think I have to put a good word in," Peterson said. "He's a Pro Bowler. Obviously, he helped us pick up the running game and he did an outstanding job, so I think he put his own stamp on it."

As teammates cleaned out their lockers, Felton repeatedly said he wants to stay with the Vikings, who took a chance on him after he bounced between three teams during a trying 2011 and stuck by him after an offseason arrest on suspicion of DUI.

It shouldn't break the bank. The NFL's highest-paid fullback is Houston's Vonta Leach, who signed a three-year, $11 million deal ($3.7 million average) in August 2011.

The rest of the top five includes Jacksonville's Greg Jones ($3.4 million), San Diego's Le'Ron McClain ($2.75 million), Green Bay's John Kuhn ($2.5 million) and Carolina's Mike Tolbert ($2.5 million).

"I know they want me here," Felton said. "It's just about coming together and seeing if we can get something done."

The Vikings had not opened contract talks with Felton's agent, Sean Howard of Octagon, as of a few weeks ago. The team is going through its usual postseason evaluation process over the next two weeks -- including meetings between Spielman and each of the team's pending free agents.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/V...t_season010713
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 01-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.

vCash
    We can't let him go he's one of the reasons AP had a monster year

vCash
    He'll be back, we're going to stick to the formula that got us into the playoffs this year while adding pieces like a field stretching wide-out or two and another guard.... The big ticket should also be back next year i read on rotoworld he won't hit free agency because he has an option for 2013-2014 and he wants to play for another 2-3 years....it says we might ask him to restructure though

that's great news for us because he showed this year that he's healthy and can still play at a high level, ranking out as i believe a top 10 D-Tackle this year
    Last edited by nasthemasta; 01-07-2013 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    I'm sure he will stay a Viking, seeing what Peterson did this season.

vCash
    I'm fine paying him 2-3 million a season, the guy deserves it. Very nice find by our front office.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Love Felton this year. Good catching, great blocking. True thumper. Get it done Rick!

vCash
    He's just trying to gain leverage on us. No doubt he'll be back. FBs are a dying position in the NFL, we are one of the few who uses them right.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    8 Tackles, 2 INTs, 18.5 Passer Rating

vCash
    He needs AP more than AP needs him....AP is on record for the last 4 years saying he likes to not have a FB than have one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I'm fine paying him 2-3 million a season, the guy deserves it. Very nice find by our front office.
    I'm not so sure yet. Yes he deserved to be payed more this year, he played very well but I guess to me how do they know once they pay him that he continues to play that good. Does he go back to being nobody? To me it's sorta risky, more risky then letting him go even. $2-3 million a year for a fullback is pricey, we could use that space at receiver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSmith22 View Post
    I'm not so sure yet. Yes he deserved to be payed more this year, he played very well but I guess to me how do they know once they pay him that he continues to play that good. Does he go back to being nobody? To me it's sorta risky, more risky then letting him go even. $2-3 million a year for a fullback is pricey, we could use that space at receiver.
    We ways end up under cap anyways. I highly doubt Spielman is gonna go break the bank on some big name WR anyways.

You always take a risk when resigning people. But Felton has without a doubt helped Adrian get to where he was this season

props to VCU for the sig!

vCash
    I would love to keep Felton I just don't feel comfortable making him one of the highest payed players at his position after just one good season. He was a nobody before this year, he played very very good but to me he hasn't proven he is worth that kind of a contract yet and we're talking about a fullback anyways... do we need to invest that kind of money and cap space in a fullback? Maybe I'm wrong and we do but I think he would be overpayed.

vCash
    It's hard to say he was a nobody because he spent his first 3 years in Detroit where they tried him as a RB, not a FB and then last season he was waived by Carolina who doesn't use a lead blocker all that much and was later claimed by Indy, who stinks. This was his first real chance to be a true fullback from day one. So yea he was a nobody in a sense but he was a nobody who was never in the right situation until he landed here.

Honestly I believe the Vikings know what they have with Felton because they put waiver claims on him twice in the past but were beat out by Carolina and Indy. Signing him this offseason was their 3rd crack at getting him and it paid off. To be that persistent trying to sign a fullback, you gotta believe the Vikings knew all along what this guy could do.

I really doubt he becomes the highest fullback in the league or comes close to it based off of one season but he will surely double his previous salary of 700,000. He's likely to ink somewhere between 1.75 and 2.25 million. I said 2-3 earlier but that's a little to high.
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 01-08-2013 at 01:52 PM.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Felton knows that staying on this roster is his chance to not only get 1 good contract but maybe 2....what is he really gunna do, go to another team with a worse o-line and a worse RB and get released again in 2 years...no he wants to stay with us so he can remain a pro-bowler

our offensive unit allows Felton to fit in and do his job...Felton doesn't feel like he has to do more than what is expected of him over here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    Felton knows that staying on this roster is his chance to not only get 1 good contract but maybe 2....what is he really gunna do, go to another team with a worse o-line and a worse RB and get released again in 2 years...no he wants to stay with us so he can remain a pro-bowler

our offensive unit allows Felton to fit in and do his job...Felton doesn't feel like he has to do more than what is expected of him over here
    If he's a forward thinking man he would want to stay here. Like you said he could play very well in front of Peterson for another three years and get another solid contract all the while making pro bowls and making his name known as one of the best fullbacks in the league, HOWEVER... If he's like anybody else and just wants to get paid, future proofing himself financially with all the injury risks fullback risk then he'll go where he gets payed the most. like Rotoworld said, "Any lead blocker would be crazy to not try to max out when they have the chance because the position absorbs so many collisions." If he just wants that one big contract now I think he's gone.

I really doubt he becomes the highest fullback in the league or comes close to it based off of one season but he will surely double his previous salary of 700,000. He's likely to ink somewhere between 1.75 and 2.25 million. I said 2-3 earlier but that's a little to high.
    The NFL's highest-paid fullback is Houston's Vonta Leach, who signed a three-year, $11 million deal ($3.7 million average) in August 2011. The top five includes Jacksonville's Greg Jones ($3.4 million), San Diego's Le'Ron McClain ($2.75 million), Green Bay's John Kuhn ($2.5 million) and Carolina's Mike Tolbert ($2.5 million).

My guess is he'll be asking for a three-year, $8.5 million deal ($2.8 million average) which will make him near the top payed fullback.

vCash
    If he's a forward thinking man he would want to stay here. Like you said he could play very well in front of Peterson for another three years and get another solid contract all the while making pro bowls and making his name known as one of the best fullbacks in the league, HOWEVER... If he's like anybody else and just wants to get paid, future proofing himself financially with all the injury risks fullback risk then he'll go where he gets payed the most. like Rotoworld said, "Any lead blocker would be crazy to not try to max out when they have the chance because the position absorbs so many collisions." If he just wants that one big contract now I think he's gone.
    The NFL's highest-paid fullback is Houston's Vonta Leach, who signed a three-year, $11 million deal ($3.7 million average) in August 2011. The top five includes Jacksonville's Greg Jones ($3.4 million), San Diego's Le'Ron McClain ($2.75 million), Green Bay's John Kuhn ($2.5 million) and Carolina's Mike Tolbert ($2.5 million).

My guess is he'll be asking for a three-year, $8.5 million deal ($2.8 million average) which will make him near the top payed fullback.
    At first I thought that way too but seeing as how he has only put together one good season so far in his career I can't see him getting top of the position type money. I think it'll be around 2 million, maybe a little lower. He will definitely be doubling this salary though.

- Mike Zimmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast