Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

"Best I've played in a while" - Why Blaming Kobe doesnt add up

This is probably the best I've played in a while.
    I've had years the last few years where I've felt pretty good but we kept my minutes down so the numbers didn't look the same, but this year I feel pretty good.

Click for Skip's reaction to Kobe's quote

For those who want to be spared of Skip's ramblings he makes 2 major points.

1) That Kobe being on a .500 team should disqualify him from playing at a higher level.
    2) That Kobe should know better as a leader, than to isolate his play aside from his struggling teammates.

The reason I bring this up is because Im pretty sure most of us know that no individual should be held fully responsible for his teams ultimate level of play, and with Kobe playing his best ball in years in seems counter-intuitive to think hes the one holding the team back, yet there are many who claim otherwise. So something isn't adding up.

From what I've seen, the anti-Kobe establishment argues that Kobe's own individual brilliance somehow detracts from his teammates chances to shine. But that would be arguing that a 5x Champ has somehow lost his zen, knowing what it takes to win and utilizing the talent alongside him.

Which if you've listened to Kobe over the years, he makes it abundantly clear that he is all about sacrifices. To his development, his numbers, accolades etc... He wants us to know this, why would he all of sudden prioritize his own play above the teams, when it gos against his entire philosophy?

The more analytical take is that Kobe's selfishness takes away from certain key players (Dwight, Pau, Nash) but hes been without Nash most of the year, Pau has clearly been hindered with his role and health, and Dwight was scheduled to make his season debut around this time of the season. Who exactly should he have deferred to?

Lets consider some facts revolving around Kobe's 2nd in Command for most of the year, Dwight:

Dwight has had 285 Post Up attempts, thats 46.8% of his offense. He has turned the ball over on roughly 20% of those opportunities. So yes hes scoring on 49% of the shot attempts he gets, which is pretty good. But overall hes only scoring on 43.9% of those. You really want him taking more possessions from Kobe?
    Synergy logs him at .79Pts Per Possession. So giving Dwight the ball hasn't really worked out for the Lakers. Another point people miss, Kobe does his chucking when Dwight is on the bench.

Kobes Stats Per-36 Minutes
    With Dwight: 19.1FGA - 7.2FTA
    W/Out Dwight: 24.7FGA - 10.2FTA

An interesting trend is that the Kobe centric offense without Dwight(+9.4) has actually fared better than lineups that include Dwight+Kobe(+3). The Dwight centered offenses without Kobe on the floor however have been downright dreadful (-11PTS)

Isn't it possible that these players have needed Kobe to play his current style?

I only agree that Nash should become a bigger part of the offense, and I think we are already beginning to see that. And people should keep in mind that D'Antoni is purposely playing Kobe+Nash almost extensively right now. Not sure if thats to force start chemistry the way the Rockets did with Lin+Harden or if they truly dont see the value in having Kobe and Nash split minutes without each other.
    Last edited by Chronz; 01-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

vCash
    I'll pass on Skip. He has played his best in quite sometime but the team doesn't have and won't have any chemistry. Nothing else to it.
    @paulpierce34 I told Wade I will **** his mom like how my man D. West did his mans. Thats why I got ejected
    Ignore List:
    AIMelo=KillaDUO; Reason: Makes up stories to protect the one he beats his meat to everynight(Melo)
    Chucky Woods; Reason: Packer Homer that just talks outta his Azz
    HaruSoul; Reason: Sanchez homer can't see that he is a POS qb
    Hustlenomics; Reason: Good luck debating with this Ronda homer
    nickdymez; Reason: Kobe/Laker homer but didn't even know how the Lakers got Kobe

vCash
    PS This isnt one of those posts where we say Dwight has never had a post game, its one where we recognize hes not the efficient go-to option he once was. Lets hope he recovers because we have so few dominant bigmen.

"It’s absolutely ludicrous” (to judge players based on whether they’ve won a title.)

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Dwight's post play has improved over the year, but the turnovers are still there and they are as big a part of the reason why this team struggles as his free throw shooting.

That said, while Kobe is playing better ball than he has for at least a couple of seasons, it is clear that when he does not have the proper coaching in place, his game, though good statistically, does not mean the team will do well.

My criticism of Kobe has always been that he is a selfish player who wants the ball, coupled with the fact that he has never been the facilitator that Magic, Bird and Duncan were.

As for the post-up on Diwghts' part, he has always been better on the pick-and-roll to teh basket plays... running plays for him to post up don't always make sense, especially when you have a post player as good as Gasol to go to, who has been forced to rely on jumpers more this season.

'Antoni, in my opinion, is teh key issue here. He does not know how to get others invovled. We saw as soon as Phil Jackson left Kobe's shot attemps went up last year, and are up this year, from when Phil was running the team.

And I hate Skip... can't stand him, but it is important to note that individual play doesn't mean $#!T at the end of the year if you don't even make the playoffs. Mitch Richmond was one of the greatest shooting guards the game has ever seen, but he's not in the HOF because he played on a perenial loser. People knock Kevin Love because he's put up big numbers on a losing team. So Kobe is having a good statistical year? Yes. Why would he be excited about that when his team isn't even in theplayoff picture right now?

The Lakers aren't losing because of Kobe, but they aren't winning because of him either.... does it really matter if he leads the league in scoring if his team fails to make the playoffs?
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 01-07-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

vCash
    Kobe is a ball hog

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    I would say Skip is right about one thing, Kobe needs to work on what he says in the press, saying you're playing at your best, just puts unnecessary pressure on everyone else, and your coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Which if you've listened to Kobe over the years, he makes it abundantly clear that he is all about sacrifices. To his development, his numbers, accolades etc... He wants us to know this.
    And you actually believe that...?

Kobe has never sacrificed anything from an individual perspective and the only reason he has ever wanted to win Championships is because it enhances his own personal legacy.

He is all about himself, his numbers, his legacy.
    His inability to put aside his ego and sacrifice in 03 and 04 were a big part of why those Laker teams failed in terms of chemistry and performance when it mattered.

Him coming out and saying things like "I have sacrificed" makes him look better so of course he'll say that.
    It doesn't mean its true.

Kobe wants you to think like his biggest stans...
    Last edited by Andrew32; 01-07-2013 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    Kobe needs to give Dwight and Nash the ball more. Imagen how many better looks he will get when Dwight is on his game
    3 time sim league Champion

vCash
    Great stuff Chronz

vCash
    lol. Its all Kobe's fault!

Good post Chronz for real. While Kobe is putting up better numbers, his team is in fact losing. But Kobe is doing what Kobe does best, Score the ball.. Thats what he's asked to do..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    From what I've seen, the anti-Kobe establishment argues that Kobe's own individual brilliance somehow detracts from his teammates chances to shine. But that would be arguing that a 5x Champ has somehow lost his zen, knowing what it takes to win and utilizing the talent alongside him.
    That is absolutely true. He lost his zen, Phil Jackson, who was able to balance him out. Phil could demand sacrifice from Kobe because he has the credentials and resume to demand it.

Do you think a guy as arrogant/confident as Kobe is going to listen to any of the people currently on the Lakers, all of whom have 0 rings?

I doubt it.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    Kobe plays great, team loses - Kobe's fault.

Kobe plays great, team wins - Pau or Shaq is the reason.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    I don't even think it is all Kobe's fault.
    I am not sure if Kobe even deserves a significant part of the blame.

However consider this.
    When Kobe starts "feeling it" he tends to try to keep scoring again and again and again.
    When he does this he takes everyone else out of the offense.

Prime Kobe could get his 25-30ppg while consistently giving touches to other players and picking his spots.
    He didn't dominate the ball for long stretches the way he is now.

Kobe is older so maybe its harder for him to turn it on and off like that so when he is on he trys to keep shooting until he feels off.

vCash
    How much of the Kobe criticism is just people not liking him as a person? I mean he's been the most efficient SG in the NBA, heck he has a top 5 PER. We criticized him in the past because he was inefficient, now we're criticizing him because he's too efficient?

I have no problem with people admitting they don't like him, but the criticism is going overboard some times.

Not once has anybody mentioned how poor the Lakers defense is, or how the Lakers bench is one of the worst in the NBA, or even how Pau is having the worst season of his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew32 View Post
    I don't even think it is all Kobe's fault.
    I am not sure if Kobe even deserves a significant part of the blame.

However consider this.
    When Kobe starts "feeling it" he tends to try to keep scoring again and again and again.
    When he does this he takes everyone else out of the offense.

Prime Kobe could get his 25-30ppg while consistently giving touches to other players and picking his spots.
    He didn't dominate the ball for long stretches the way he is now.

Kobe is older so maybe its harder for him to turn it on and off like that so when he is on he trys to keep shooting until he feels off.
    exactly. its hard for his teammates to get in grooves when he takes 40 shots some games. gasol and dwight need more touches.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast