Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the 49ers Plan to Play Justin this week?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...All In

16 80.00%
  • No...Risk to re-tear, I'll take my chances with the NFC and use him if we make the SB

2 10.00%
  • No...Sit him this week, base next decisions on who we play (explain)

2 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Justin Smith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    We have to play him. I'd rather play him and he get hurt and we win than not play him, he doesn't get hurt and we lose
    Ok, so We play him...
    He tears his muscle...
    We win this week...

But now we're up against teams our D is a weaker matchup against...absolutely without him.

If there is 1 team left in the NFC or the big 2 in the AFC I feel like we're still in good shape without him, it's Green Bay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBruins17 View Post
    Ok, so We play him...
    He tears his muscle...
    We win this week...

But now we're up against teams our D is a weaker matchup against...absolutely without him.

If there is 1 team left in the NFC or the big 2 in the AFC I feel like we're still in good shape without him, it's Green Bay

Ya but you can't think of it like that. This is the playoffs and it's any given sunday, if we lose, season over. Period. If we don't play him and we lose and it comes down to one big stop then think about all the "what ifs" if JS was in the game.

I'm not expert but sounds to me a tear is a tear, he's going to risk tearing it even more whether he plays this week or next. Does a week really make a difference with an injury like that?

vCash
    I get the mentality, and I can definitely concede to feeling alright about the whole: limit his snaps, play it by ear, take him out if we take a two score lead... Kind of thing.

I just know that its an enormous task to beat some of those other teams if you don't get to the QB compared to GB who takes plenty of sacks to teams who don't have Justin Smith in the first place.

vCash
    If it was a heavyweight type of OL I would worry, but GBs OL has still been very iffy this year, so in limited time, I'm ok with him gritting it out.

vCash
    i could be wrong,but if it is a partial tear,all he needs is rest...the only reason he is getting surgery is to remove a bone spur that is pretty much floating in his arm,not to repair the tear
    ....pleasing the casual fan,while telling the hardcore fan to go to hell since 2006

vCash
    no way can we win without him. We aren't playing the Cards. It's very clear that he's a huge asset on the defense. If he can go, then play him. Even if it's limited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    Either way he needs surgery.
    X2. Play him. He's not going to get any better without the surgery. If he can't play at a level that helps the team, then you use RJF and Ian Williams.

vCash
    Ok, so We play him...
    He tears his muscle...
    We win this week...

I agree... I think GB's OL is weaker than the others we'll face (not has bad as the Cards, and of course Rogers is a MUCH better QB than anyone on the Cards). So I really would like to see him limited in play time. But, it's lose and go home so.... if he's needed he's needed.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    no way can we win without him. We aren't playing the Cards. It's very clear that he's a huge asset on the defense. If he can go, then play him. Even if it's limited.
    I disagree. As impactful of a player that he is, we didn't win or lose because of him. Sure it would make a huge difference, and could, decide the game, but most likely a game we win with Smith, we win without him anyway.

There are always exceptions, like the Giants game last season.

That being said, RJF can certainly aid in losing a game for us. let's hope we see the best of him in the playoffs as well.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Justin Smith is not just an animal, he's incredibly smart and very realistic. All he cares about is winning. I'm sure Harbaugh and co realize a healthy RJF is better than a Justin Smith @ 75%.

If he can play near his normal self, I say play him. I doubt he reinjures it with the armor Ray Lewis was wearing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giantspwn View Post
    Justin Smith is not just an animal, he's incredibly smart and very realistic. All he cares about is winning. I'm sure Harbaugh and co realize a healthy RJF is better than a Justin Smith @ 75%.

If he can play near his normal self, I say play him. I doubt he reinjures it with the armor Ray Lewis was wearing.
    Ray Lewis was wearing armor on top of an 11 week recovery.

That's pretty close to the 12 weeks the doc referenced as necessary, again, on top of the brace.

This is 27 days from injury...

vCash
    If the 12 week recovery estimation is correct then it doesn't matter if it is this week or next week, the chance to re-tear it are pretty much the same. There is no, "we'll get 'em next week" at this time of the year. Its all or nothing, win or go home. You have to put all your chips on the table b/c there may not be another tomorrow and you are not guaranteed to have this opportunity again. Put him out there, let him give it all he has and just wish for the best. GO NINERS!!!!!!

vCash
    Ray Lewis was wearing armor on top of an 11 week recovery.

That's pretty close to the 12 weeks the doc referenced as necessary, again, on top of the brace.

This is 27 days from injury...
    I totally get what your saying and agree that if it's as severe as Lewis, he prolly shouldn't be playing. No one really knows the severity of the tear.

Although, a defensive tackle won't need full mobility of his arm as a Middle linebacker would.

It's a tough decision. I just hope they make the right one. ray:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giantspwn View Post
    I totally get what your saying and agree that if it's as severe as Lewis, he prolly shouldn't be playing. No one really knows the severity of the tear.

Although, a defensive tackle won't need full mobility of his arm as a Middle linebacker would. It's a tough decision. I just hope they make the right one. ray:
    I would disagree with that. Making tackles is much less of a tricep strain than pushing off on an OLman every play. And if you don't use your hands and arms as a DLman...you're pretty ineffective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stag6004 View Post
    If the 12 week recovery estimation is correct then it doesn't matter if it is this week or next week, the chance to re-tear it are pretty much the same. There is no, "we'll get 'em next week" at this time of the year. Its all or nothing, win or go home. You have to put all your chips on the table b/c there may not be another tomorrow and you are not guaranteed to have this opportunity again. Put him out there, let him give it all he has and just wish for the best. GO NINERS!!!!!!
    The difference between this week, and IF we advance to New Orleans is the difference between 4 and 7 weeks. So that's 25% of that healing timetable. And even if the risk is the same between those two times, why would you risk the re-tear NOW unless you don't think you can beat the Packers and hypothetically the Falcons without him?

Seattle, I'd roll the dice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast