Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the 49ers Plan to Play Justin this week?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...All In

16 80.00%
  • No...Risk to re-tear, I'll take my chances with the NFC and use him if we make the SB

2 10.00%
  • No...Sit him this week, base next decisions on who we play (explain)

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justin Smith

vCash

Justin Smith

Am I the only one who thinks the 49ers are playing with fire in their plans to play Justin Smith this week.

I understand that you need to put your chips on the table this time of year, but is the risk of him tearing it in the divisional round worth it? In other words, will a 50% Justin Smith, as great as he is, be an ultimate X-factor in winning or losing against Green Bay?

This is an injury that kept Ray out 11 weeks...it will be a little less than 4 come game day and the doc implied a significant risk to tear...If we advanced to New Orleans without him, that would be 7 weeks and no reason not to put it all on the line, especially with the probability of playing a hard-to-get-to Brady or Manning.

vCash
    No - I would say have him suit up, and maybe be in for some key plays if needed, but do not make him a starter playing every/almost every down. And if he's not needed - i.e. we take a lead and keep it the whole game - keep him sitting on the bench healing.

Might require physical restraints though!
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    He has no way of injuring it any further
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheeze View Post
    Might require physical restraints though!
    WOULDN'T WANT THAT JOB!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Source?!

I remember the team doc saying "12 weeks" and being realllly apprehensive about them finding a way to get on the field because it was a serious risk.

I'm not a doctor...but how could their be no way a partial tear could turn into a tear....or furthering it at least...with repetitive, extreme exertion?!

vCash
    "Two orthopedic surgeons said nearly every question about Smith's injury depends on how much of the tendon is torn, something the 49ers haven't divulged. If it's a high-grade tear – more than 50 percent torn – Smith wouldn't be close to full strength. There's a chance that even a small tear could rip completely, which would make his arm useless.

"It's something you definitely can't quantify," said UC Davis orthopedic surgeon Cassandra Lee. "But there's certainly a risk for a full tear."

Lee said St. Louis Rams receiver Danny Amendola was in a similar situation last year. He suffered a dislocated elbow early in the season, rested and rehabilitated for a couple of weeks but then aggravated the injury in practice and had to have season-ending surgery.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/04/509...#storylink=cpy

vCash
    Play him, but rotate him out ALOT more.

vCash
    Either way he needs surgery.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    All the stuff I've seen says he has a partial tear with the risk of a complete tear if he plays.

On that note...it's not my arm, but if he wants to play I say play him. This may be the last game of the year. If he feels he can be effective, let him play. He probably feels like he'd rather play and completely tear his tendon causing him to miss a SB run rather than sit out and the season ends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    Either way he needs surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    All the stuff I've seen says he has a partial tear with the risk of a complete tear if he plays.

On that note...it's not my arm, but if he wants to play I say play him. This may be the last game of the year. If he feels he can be effective, let him play. He probably feels like he'd rather play and completely tear his tendon causing him to miss a SB run rather than sit out and the season ends.
    See what Derek said...No matter what, he needs surgery. It's easier to repair a complete tear then a partial tear. Because even in a partial tear, sometimes they can't fix it properly and have to completely tear it anyways
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Play him, but rotate him out ALOT more.
    This.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    I've never experienced anything like it but I say play him...though that's easy for me to say. He's to important to the team not to.

vCash
    See what Derek said...No matter what, he needs surgery. It's easier to repair a complete tear then a partial tear. Because even in a partial tear, sometimes they can't fix it properly and have to completely tear it anyways
    Right

So do we lack confidence at home against a marginal run game and a QB who gets sacked a lot, anyway... Where we feel the need to put that risk on the line now, rather than another week of rehab and use him if the stakes are larger and he's a lower tear risk.

I feel like if we lose this game, it's going to come down to more than a limited Justin. But I think we can win without him....IF the offensive playbook is strong and runs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBruins17 View Post
    Right

So do we lack confidence at home against a marginal run game and a QB who gets sacked a lot, anyway... Where we feel the need to put that risk on the line now, rather than another week of rehab and use him if the stakes are larger and he's a lower tear risk.

I feel like if we lose this game, it's going to come down to more than a limited Justin. But I think we can win without him....IF the offensive playbook is strong and runs.
    We have to play him. I'd rather play him and he get hurt and we win than not play him, he doesn't get hurt and we lose

vCash
    I think we'd have a harder time beating the Seahawks, Falcons, Patriots or Broncos without him...

You have to GET that far, yes...which is why I'm saying: I think we can.
    Last edited by GoBruins17; 01-07-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast