Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I agree..... Cant we just put Pronger on the regular roster and then Amnesty him or does he have to be on the regular roster for a certain period of time? Personally I see a very good reason in using Amnesty on Pronger as he most likely never plays again so we get nothing out of his remaining contract. Bryzgalov might not have a very team friendly contract but at least he can play and even though he was shaky last year he had several good stretches that offer a little bit of hope that given a bit more time he could pan out. I also don't see the point of using Amnesty on Briere either until we need his cap space to resign the young core (Giroux, Couts, Schenn, etc) or something better comes along that we need the cap space for like a franchise d-man.
    Players have to pass a physical after being on LTIR before returning to the active roster, even if it is the next season. Pronger would never pass that physical aka baseline test, and you cant Amnesty an injured player. Which makes sense because it protects the player. For example if Pronger stays on LTIR he gets his full salary. If the Flyers buy him out, he only gets 2/3's. Really sucks for Pronger because he cant go out and get another playing job.

Bryz will have a chance to prove he is the goalie we paid him to be. He will have this coming season, and unless we absolutely need his cap space, or there is a better goalie on the market, then he might even get an additional year to prove himself. The ball, or Puck, is in Bryz's Court, or zone.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    In this case I guess Briere is probably the best option but as mentioned above only at the point where we need his cap space to either resign the core of the team or if a player of a larger need becomes available and we need that space to make it work. I believe the first scenario doesn't occur until the second buyout eligible season in which case the Flyers would have to eat very little of his contract.

As for Bryzgalov, I would only be comfortable with using amnesty on him if an equal or better option was available at a lower cost. Although he might be a head case and doesn't do much to help his own cause I feel a lot of the blame that was placed on Bryz last year had more to do with a weak defensive unit hanging him out to dry which resulted in everyone getting on his case and finally him shutting down mentally. I also feel that although there might have been a lot of lows when it came to Bryz last year there was just as many highs (he did go on an incredible streak late in the year). Personally I think I still need to give him another year before I am on board with giving him amnesty. I think even in that case for me it would need to come to either having an equal or better option at a lower cost or needing his cap hit to keep the core intacked.
    The Flyers are going to have to improve their defense in the next offseason. Timonen's contract will be up, but in essence with the cap shrinking, that basically eats the cap you would be saving from Timonen. IMO they will need a #1 guy and a 2nd pair guy. If you resign Timonen he could be your second pair guy, but I expect him to retire. That being said, the Flyers might have to Buyout Bryz and find a short-term cheaper option like Tim Thomas if he is bought out to use the cap space to fill those defensive needs.

If I'm the Flyers I wait to see what happens with Loungo. If he moves to Florida, the Flyers may be able to trade for Markstrom. If not, then maybe you can put a big deal together for Bernier and one of LA's defenseman (they have a crap load). I would think Voynov & Bernier for Read, Laughton, Gostisbiere, A first and Second Might be able to get something like that done...
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    The Flyers are going to have to improve their defense in the next offseason. Timonen's contract will be up, but in essence with the cap shrinking, that basically eats the cap you would be saving from Timonen. IMO they will need a #1 guy and a 2nd pair guy. If you resign Timonen he could be your second pair guy, but I expect him to retire. That being said, the Flyers might have to Buyout Bryz and find a short-term cheaper option like Tim Thomas if he is bought out to use the cap space to fill those defensive needs.

If I'm the Flyers I wait to see what happens with Loungo. If he moves to Florida, the Flyers may be able to trade for Markstrom. If not, then maybe you can put a big deal together for Bernier and one of LA's defenseman (they have a crap load). I would think Voynov & Bernier for Read, Laughton, Gostisbiere, A first and Second Might be able to get something like that done...
    dont want bernier....

lol bryz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude28Giroux View Post
    dont want bernier....
    Are you banking on that Rick DiPietro being available after a buyout?

vCash
    Are you banking on that Rick DiPietro being available after a buyout?
    I'd rather keep paying Bryz for seven years.

For that matter, I would rather thereafter resign Bryz to another 8 years. (I'd go another 9, but the new CBA doesn't allow that.)

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dol50 View Post
    I'd rather keep paying Bryz for seven years.

For that matter, I would rather thereafter resign Bryz to another 8 years. (I'd go another 9, but the new CBA doesn't allow that.)
    I was being sarcastic. lol. Rick DiPietro. lol

vCash
    after i read the story about brzy ... the 'i understand philly' article ... i was downright impressed and i want him to win a cup for us ... i'm rooting hard for him this season.

anyone that has the internal strength to admit they were wrong and out-of-bounds and say all he wants to do is put his head down and play goalie (and be in really good shape apparently) is alright in my book ... attitude is everything and now that 24/7 is gone ... i think he will be sharp.

goalies are up and down every year ... i got a feeling this is an up year for him

vCash
    I think Bryzgalov is a clear choice here. I don't even think it matters how good he is, his contract takes him until he's around 40. If you can get out from under that contract after 2 years, I think you've got to do it. I also, don't have much confidence in him any more. I think if there's a moral here: Dave Tippet and the 'Yotes make goalies look gooooooooood. I really don't think Bryz was ever that good to begin with, it was more of a system.

Briere's going to be in demand in a trade. He's making 1/2 or less than half of his actual cap hit. Teams like Phoenix, the Islanders, or Florida would have interest in him to stay around the cap floor, without paying the money for his $6.5m cap hit.

I'd say Pronger's a real option to be amnestied at that point. It makes it easier than playing the LiTR game every season.

There's a lot of real possibility the Flyers will have a bunch of cap space upcoming.

On a side note, I kind of hope Richards gets amnestied in LA and makes a return in Philly. It's a possibility, and part of me just wants to see Richie come home.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think Bryzgalov is a clear choice here. I don't even think it matters how good he is, his contract takes him until he's around 40. If you can get out from under that contract after 2 years, I think you've got to do it. I also, don't have much confidence in him any more. I think if there's a moral here: Dave Tippet and the 'Yotes make goalies look gooooooooood. I really don't think Bryz was ever that good to begin with, it was more of a system.

Briere's going to be in demand in a trade. He's making 1/2 or less than half of his actual cap hit. Teams like Phoenix, the Islanders, or Florida would have interest in him to stay around the cap floor, without paying the money for his $6.5m cap hit.

I'd say Pronger's a real option to be amnestied at that point. It makes it easier than playing the LiTR game every season.

There's a lot of real possibility the Flyers will have a bunch of cap space upcoming.

On a side note, I kind of hope Richards gets amnestied in LA and makes a return in Philly. It's a possibility, and part of me just wants to see Richie come home.

here here to richie returning ...

had homer known about the amnesty, i dont think richards would have been traded in the first place

he is still my #3 favorite flyer in the last 20 years ... and had the best shift that i've still ever seen ... giroux has a close #2 but he wasn't shorthanded

vCash

Pronger cant be amnestied because you can not buy-out anyone on LTIR. And Briere has a NMC, and will refuse to waive it. You cant trade him. He would rather stay for his kids, but if he gets bought out, then he gets 2/3s of his remaining contract, plus what he can get on the open market, to any team he wants.

As for Richards, we already have a log jam at center, and it wouldn't be worth bidding for 28 other teams for him. Not sure why LA would buy him out anyway. Wouldnt they be more likely to buyout Carter?

vCash
    Pronger cant be amnestied because you can not buy-out anyone on LTIR. And Briere has a NMC, and will refuse to waive it. You cant trade him. He would rather stay for his kids, but if he gets bought out, then he gets 2/3s of his remaining contract, plus what he can get on the open market, to any team he wants.

As for Richards, we already have a log jam at center, and it wouldn't be worth bidding for 28 other teams for him. Not sure why LA would buy him out anyway. Wouldnt they be more likely to buyout Carter?

so what do we spend our 1st round pick on?...

sometimes I wonder about Homer

vCash

It's not hard. We have the cap space...all you have to do is not LiTR Pronger this season. End of story. If Pronger doesn't spend time this season on the LiTR....then you can amnesty him next year and not have to play the crap dance of not being able to put him on the LiTR for the offseason, then shuffling cap around to get him on the LiTR once the season starts.

Yeah, Richards isn't a super realistic hope, but he can play some wing. Was more of a personal wish than it was anything I'd ever expect to happen.

On the sentiment of Homer drafting Laughton....I think he was the BPA. Dude's tearing up the juniors this season. I quite like the kid.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    It's not hard. We have the cap space...all you have to do is not LiTR Pronger this season. End of story. If Pronger doesn't spend time this season on the LiTR....then you can amnesty him next year and not have to play the crap dance of not being able to put him on the LiTR for the offseason, then shuffling cap around to get him on the LiTR once the season starts.

Yeah, Richards isn't a super realistic hope, but he can play some wing. Was more of a personal wish than it was anything I'd ever expect to happen.

On the sentiment of Homer drafting Laughton....I think he was the BPA. Dude's tearing up the juniors this season. I quite like the kid.
    The argument everyones making is you have to pass a physical in order to come off LTIR,

But as we learned from RG3, passing a physical isnt too hard. I can see the headlines "Pronger feels better, attempts comeback, Pronger passes physical and practices with team" and then "Pronger has set-back, healthy scratched. not expected to return for 4-6 weeks" and then "Pronger not expected to return in time for shortened season"
    Last edited by Randall Stevens; 01-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.

vCash

I wouldn't call 32 points in 30 games tearing up juniors (he's the third leading scorer on his team, BTW), although I understand that scoring isn't the strength of his game. I also think there was a lot of head-scratching going on at the time of that pick because there were players still on the board at the time who were thought to be better. That said, the old adage in sports is that you want to be strong up the middle. Too many quality centers is a very good problem to have between trade bait and the fact that it's generally easier to move a center to wing than vice versa.

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dol50 View Post
    I wouldn't call 32 points in 30 games tearing up juniors (he's the third leading scorer on his team, BTW), although I understand that scoring isn't the strength of his game. I also think there was a lot of head-scratching going on at the time of that pick because there were players still on the board at the time who were thought to be better. That said, the old adage in sports is that you want to be strong up the middle. Too many quality centers is a very good problem to have between trade bait and the fact that it's generally easier to move a center to wing than vice versa.
    Is it only 30 points? I must have mis-read, I could have swore he was way over a PPG last I looked.

That said, I really still like Laughton. I see lot of Ryan Callahan in his game. I liked that he walked right into camp last year and pissed people off.
    #WhyNot?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast