Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

D Casey's meeting with the MLSE board

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6978427/

Sportsnetís John Shannon revealed Friday that at a meeting of the board of directors of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Raptors head coach Dwane Casey was told by, among others, George Cope, chief executive officer of BCE-Bell Canada and a former hoops player at Western University, to simply play whom he wanted to play. Figuring out the internal politics of MLSE is a foolís game, but if itís a sign that general manager Bryan Colangelo, and not Casey, will take the fall for another playoff miss, it is a positive development.

I saw this post on a different forum but disagreed with all of the posters there. They used this article as evidence that BC was on his way out. I simply don't see it that way.

If BC was telling DC how to play his players don't you think management would call them both in, or more probable would be a meeting with BC to resolve the problem.

I'm sure BC has his opinions, but it seems like DC and BC have a good working relationship. I find this story tells a tale of the board's interference of the daily operations of the raptors more than anything else.

I believe it was the board who pushed BC to sign Fields in their attempt to attain Nash by blocking NY for the sole purpose of the mighty dollar. Nash was a payday for MLSE. Now with the rotations, I think the board has been telling Casey to start or give heavy minutes to trade assets such as Bargs or Jose.

My theory is the board now sees that saving the pick is close and the playoffs are attainable. $ It's sad to have a board who thinks they know basketball better than the people doing basketball for them. Instead they should be using their resources to grow the team. Support the people they have hired. I can see the factor of Casey unwilling to lay down for them last year at end of season as being a contributing factor in why MLSE is telling him in who he must play. I personally like the fact Casey and team fought till the very end of the season and did not tank for Barnes.

Maybe now that hockey is back MLSE will stop meddling with the raps and be stuck trying to fix the horrid leafs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6978427/

Sportsnetís John Shannon revealed Friday that at a meeting of the board of directors of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Raptors head coach Dwane Casey was told by, among others, George Cope, chief executive officer of BCE-Bell Canada and a former hoops player at Western University, to simply play whom he wanted to play. Figuring out the internal politics of MLSE is a foolís game, but if itís a sign that general manager Bryan Colangelo, and not Casey, will take the fall for another playoff miss, it is a positive development.

I saw this post on a different forum but disagreed with all of the posters there. They used this article as evidence that BC was on his way out. I simply don't see it that way.

If BC was telling DC how to play his players don't you think management would call them both in, or more probable would be a meeting with BC to resolve the problem.

I'm sure BC has his opinions, but it seems like DC and BC have a good working relationship. I find this story tells a tale of the board's interference of the daily operations of the raptors more than anything else.

I believe it was the board who pushed BC to sign Fields in their attempt to attain Nash by blocking NY for the sole purpose of the mighty dollar. Nash was a payday for MLSE. Now with the rotations, I think the board has been telling Casey to start or give heavy minutes to trade assets such as Bargs or Jose.

My theory is the board now sees that saving the pick is close and the playoffs are attainable. $ It's sad to have a board who thinks they know basketball better than the people doing basketball for them. Instead they should be using their resources to grow the team. Support the people they have hired. I can see the factor of Casey unwilling to lay down for them last year at end of season as being a contributing factor in why MLSE is telling him in who he must play. I personally like the fact Casey and team fought till the very end of the season and did not tank for Barnes.

Maybe now that hockey is back MLSE will stop meddling with the raps and be stuck trying to fix the horrid leafs.
    IMO, the fact BC is selecting players in the draft with a large influence from Casey shows to me their trust & working arrangement.

It may be true but I have a hard time believing Casey is a yes man for BC.

Also I may be alone in this but Nash would have been more than a cash cow for this team. Watching the team flourish under Calderon's ability to create for others & Lowry struggle in this aspect, Nash may not have been a long term solution but I think his game currently fits better, without the cost of a future pick.

vCash

This franchise is completely inept if they had to have a meeting to tell their COACH that he can play whomever he wants to play.

vCash
    Maybe mlse is impressed by the way this team is competing with out Barg's and all this is, is confirmation that Casey is not under the gun to insert Barg's back in the starting line up once he is healthy and returns.

vCash
    Fire BC, hire Paul Beeston and Alex Anthopoulos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post

This franchise is completely inept if they had to have a meeting to tell their COACH that he can play whomever he wants to play.
    When a case was made for J.Jack to play with Hedo. The argument is/was against, you can't bring a 10 mil contract off the bench.

Despite Hedo & the team playing better with a scoring guard (Jack), contract seems to determine who starts, not chemistry.

Results shouldn't come from injuries. Which is what it took to find success the year BC signed Hedo to play point forward. Calderon held onto the ball too long, which is where Hedo's reference to ball came from. The team didn't utilize him properly as a point forward until Jose went down to injury. Most forget with all their hate on the signing that team was sitting 5th in division before Bosh's injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    When a case was made for J.Jack to play with Hedo. The argument is/was against, you can't bring a 10 mil contract off the bench.

Despite Hedo & the team playing better with a scoring guard (Jack), contract seems to determine who starts, not chemistry.

Results shouldn't come from injuries. Which is what it took to find success the year BC signed Hedo to play point forward. Calderon held onto the ball too long, which is where Hedo's reference to ball came from. The team didn't utilize him properly as a point forward until Jose went down to injury. Most forget with all their hate on the signing that team was sitting 5th in division before Bosh's injury.
    Losing patience with this franchise year by year. What a cluster****. They could have expanded their base during the NHL lockout.

vCash
    Interesting read. Don't really think either BC or DC are in the hot seat just yet. I really think if we place anything lower than 9th this season, BC is gone though.

Sidenote: George Cope is a g. Funny dude, and great guy.

vCash
    B.C has set us up with nice draft pics, Ross Val Ed Demar, its time to let someone else come in a re shape the team a bit. This off season seeing guys like Kidd, JR Smith sign for peanuts and make huge impacts while we sign Fields to a 6 mil a yr deal for 3 ppg per game is annoying. What I would like to see is the Raptors take a flyer on a guy like Royce White or make a big offer for Cousins. We may need to go for one of these "headcase" type dudes if we want some talent to take us to the next step.

vCash
    It seems to me that they're just clarifying job descriptions. Trying to fix the mess that was created by the previous owners. GM gets the players, coach decides how to use them. It was my understanding that they had their meeting with BC recently when Embry came to town, this is likely a continuation of those meetings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spreadeagle View Post
    B.C has set us up with nice draft pics, Ross Val Ed Demar, its time to let someone else come in a re shape the team a bit. This off season seeing guys like Kidd, JR Smith sign for peanuts and make huge impacts while we sign Fields to a 6 mil a yr deal for 3 ppg per game is annoying. What I would like to see is the Raptors take a flyer on a guy like Royce White or make a big offer for Cousins. We may need to go for one of these "headcase" type dudes if we want some talent to take us to the next step.
    Hell No. I would stay FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR away from that.

vCash
    eww no

vCash
    What we need is to suck hard in a year with a "can't miss prospect" headlining the draft and be lucky enough to land the #1 pick.

Andrew Wiggins, I'm looking at you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
    What we need is to suck hard in a year with a "can't miss prospect" headlining the draft and be lucky enough to land the #1 pick.

Andrew Wiggins, I'm looking at you.
    David Stern doesn't like us enough for that to happen.

vCash
    all this tells me is that MLSE would not be upset if Casey benches Bargnani

BC has made it clear that Bargnani is on the trading block. Actually he was on the trading block BEFORE he got injured when he was a STARTER

so who is on the hotseat? Nobody but Bargnani. MLSE is just giving their blessing. My superiors always call me in to discuss things that they want me to do even though there are people above me who may think otherwise. The fact is that this is nothing too big and doesn't need to be overanalyzed for what it is. Just a blessing

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast