Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    There was a MetsBlog story that the Mets FO wasn't going to wait to see IF Johan has a good first half.. The Mets FO is hoping to sell Johan as likely having a good first half (like last season) and making him available in trade for prospects The story goes a step further and says the Mets would be willing to pay a significant portion of his salary..so you know the story is bogus...
    Actually i think the Mets would gladly pay a pretty good portion of Johan's contract just to deal him.

Obviously it's contingent on him pitching well the first half so there are teams with interest but anything we can get for Johan at this point is a plus.

vCash
    Why wouldn't the Mets be willing to eat his full salary to get prospects? It would have the same result as not trading him at all, except this way we would get prospects.

I can't wait until Sandy pulls off his mid-season coup: a clinging-to-health Santana to Toronto to win a championship with Dickey and Reyes... and we get Anthony Gose.

LOL! One can dream.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Why wouldn't the Mets be willing to eat his full salary to get prospects? It would have the same result as not trading him at all, except this way we would get prospects.

I can't wait until Sandy pulls off his mid-season coup: a clinging-to-health Santana to Toronto to win a championship with Dickey and Reyes... and we get Anthony Gose.

LOL! One can dream.
    Santana's contract is what will make it hard to get anything significant for him in return. Even if they deal him midseason whoever looks to acquire him will still owe him 15+ million dollars with his buyout.

He's gonna have to prove he can pitch well long enough that teams show interest. If he does and the Mets are able to eat let's say 10 million of that 15+ million dollars maybe they can find a desperate team willing to give up something of value for him.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one but it's really all up to how Santana pitches this season and if he can stay healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Santana's contract is what will make it hard to get anything significant for him in return. Even if they deal him midseason whoever looks to acquire him will still owe him 15+ million dollars with his buyout.

He's gonna have to prove he can pitch well long enough that teams show interest. If he does and the Mets are able to eat let's say 10 million of that 15+ million dollars maybe they can find a desperate team willing to give up something of value for him.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one but it's really all up to how Santana pitches this season and if he can stay healthy.
    Oh, so it wouldn't be possible for us to pay his entire salary when we deal him? In other words, if we owe him $15m for 2013, we can't pay that full amount and give him to another team for free?

vCash
    Oh, so it wouldn't be possible for us to pay his entire salary when we deal him? In other words, if we owe him $15m for 2013, we can't pay that full amount and give him to another team for free?
    We could but i don't see them doing it.

I would think they would want a team to pick a portion of his salary with the Mets paying most of it.

But it would certainly increase his trade value if he was pitching well and the Mets picked up the whole thing.

It's just not standard operating procedure in MLB is all.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-07-2013 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    We could but i don't see them doing it.

I would think they would want a team to pick a portion of his salary with the Mets paying most of it.

But it would certainly increase his trade value if he was pitching well if the Mets picked up the whole thing.

It's just not standard operating procedure in MLB is all.

no1 thought beltran for wheeler would happen either but it did. AS has proven that he knows how to work a trade.
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    no1 thought beltran for wheeler would happen either but it did. AS has proven that he knows how to work a trade.
    I mean, yeah, if it's somehow possible (it's not) to turn Santana for Gose and all you have to do is eat the contract, how the heck could he not do that?

On the one hand, you can say he wouldn't do it to save $$$. But on the other hand, in a way he WILL be saving money by getting a hold of a guy like Gose instead of buying a guy like that in free agency.

vCash
    I mean, yeah, if it's somehow possible (it's not) to turn Santana for Gose and all you have to do is eat the contract, how the heck could he not do that?

On the one hand, you can say he wouldn't do it to save $$$. But on the other hand, in a way he WILL be saving money by getting a hold of a guy like Gose instead of buying a guy like that in free agency.

like i said SA knows how to work a trade. i think SA trades santana for a top 100 spec.

vCash
    Yes but Santana would have to have a Beltran like season in 2013 before they could that much back for him.

There is also the fact Santana is due almost 11 million dollars more than Beltran was in 2011 with his buyout.

Hey look if the Mets are willing to pickup a significant portion of his deal, he stays healthy and pitches like he did till the no hitter last year the Mets will certainly get value for him but i just wouldn't bet on it.

Santana is just too injury riddled at this point that i really doubt he even makes it half the season healthy and productive.

vCash
    ^^^ agree to disagree?

vCash
    ^^^ agree to disagree?
    Pretty much lol...

But you are right stranger things have happened..

vCash
    Johan would have an ERA around 2.70 after June like he did last year and the Mets pick up at least 80% of whats left of his contract for Sandy to get a top 100 prospect.

Is not like Sandy is somehow been able to trade mediocre talent for top 100 prospects, the 2 trades in which he did well the players he traded had all star type years and one was the CY winner. People may have doubted that he could of landed top 100 prospects for those 2 guys, but again when you trade all star players who are having all star type years netting a top 100 prospect or two is a must.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Johan would have an ERA around 2.70 after June like he did last year and the Mets pick up at least 80% of whats left of his contract for Sandy to get a top 100 prospect.

Is not like Sandy is somehow been able to trade mediocre talent for top 100 prospects, the 2 trades in which he did well the players he traded had all star type years and one was the CY winner. People may have doubted that he could of landed top 100 prospects for those 2 guys, but again when you trade all star players who are having all star type years netting a top 100 prospect or two is a must.
    Pretty much this..

Santana would really have to overwhelm for us to get a good spec in return.

I just don't see it happening.

vCash
    As far as positives go am one of the few guys who enjoys just watching young talent play.

I even will have fun watching duhdoh play, just not in the outfield. I think he will bounce back this year and do better and be a trade chip mid season.

Obviously the 2 big guys who will see time in the majors will be TdA and Wheeler and that should be fun, but I want to see Mejia, Familia and other young pen arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    A positive post from McFly???

As for the gambling part, you could always just go back in time before the bet was made so I guess you win either way right?
    It's a post about how he bets against the Mets because they're bad and how he will enjoy laughing at our outfield this season. That's not positive.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast