Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Brayden Schenn looks primed to start the season on the top line with Hartnell and Giroux now. Voracek down to the third line with Couturier. 2nd line seems to be a mystery currently.

Voracek also, apparently a little out of shape. Nothing awful, just a few pounds.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    ^Could that be due to the injury he (Voracek) had? Or was that long enough ago that maybe he just got lazy when he came back to the states?

vCash
    i'd like the flyers to try to trade for Luca Sbisa back ... put him with Grossmann or Schenn

vCash
    Should be an interesting week of camp. Can't wait to see the opening night line up. Plus I don't think the line up will remain the same through all 48 games.

vCash
    That pic of Pronger teaching Luke Schenn is awesome. I hope once his career is "officially" over, he stays around the organization.

Cant wait for this weekend.
    Don't let this face fool you...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Brayden Schenn looks primed to start the season on the top line with Hartnell and Giroux now. Voracek down to the third line with Couturier. 2nd line seems to be a mystery currently.

Voracek also, apparently a little out of shape. Nothing awful, just a few pounds.
    damn, shame about Voracek, he's a hell of a passer. But I like moving Schenn to there, lets see what hes got for an offensive game. If you dont get points lined up next to Giroux AND with Hartnell taking care of the dirty work, than theres something wrong

I guess the 2nd line is Simmonds - Read - ???no idea???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    damn, shame about Voracek, he's a hell of a passer. But I like moving Schenn to there, lets see what hes got for an offensive game. If you dont get points lined up next to Giroux AND with Hartnell taking care of the dirty work, than theres something wrong

I guess the 2nd line is Simmonds - Read - ???no idea???
    I agree on the Schenn logic. I have been a little disappointed with what I've seen of him. Regardless of the lack of points, he just never looked special with the puck on his stick last year. That said, if they're depending on him to do big things, no better way to see if he's capable than putting him on the first line. I also think that Voracek plays a very similar game to Giroux, and so I'm not sure how well they'd really compliment each other.

On that second line, they're either (1) banking on Briere being able to play, (2) working with these lines now so that they can insert Briere when he's ready, but in the meantime will switch them again before the weekend, or (3) plan on playing Rusty there (?)

In any case, is that still really the second line at that point, or does the Couts line become number 2 by default?

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dol50 View Post
    I agree on the Schenn logic. I have been a little disappointed with what I've seen of him. Regardless of the lack of points, he just never looked special with the puck on his stick last year. That said, if they're depending on him to do big things, no better way to see if he's capable than putting him on the first line. I also think that Voracek plays a very similar game to Giroux, and so I'm not sure how well they'd really compliment each other.

On that second line, they're either (1) banking on Briere being able to play, (2) working with these lines now so that they can insert Briere when he's ready, but in the meantime will switch them again before the weekend, or (3) plan on playing Rusty there (?)

In any case, is that still really the second line at that point, or does the Couts line become number 2 by default?

schenn showed a lot of flash last year but wasn't consistent ... in his 3 or so very good games, he was dominant ... hopefully the confidence will be there after last years penguins series, and he is apparently in really good shape ... hopefully has a huge year ... i also like that schenn is a big boy with some grit to help hartnell protect G... least we forget... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1kBJ6pEJTM

secondly ... couts on the 2nd line intrigues me ... voracek-couturier-simmonds is a damn good line too ... great defensively and everyone is 6'2'' + ... that line can play against anyone and still be a threat to score ...

briere coming back is going to cause some fun problems with where he fits ... at this point, maybe he is in on all powerplays but sees like 3rd line minutes ... have to keep him around for the playoffs though, you can't teach clutch

vCash

A definite no on Briere being able to play. Broken wrist has him confirmed out at least 2 games. But Fedotenko on the 2nd line is sadly probably correct. I rather have Wellwood on there but hey just 2 games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    schenn showed a lot of flash last year but wasn't consistent ... in his 3 or so very good games, he was dominant ... hopefully the confidence will be there after last years penguins series, and he is apparently in really good shape ... hopefully has a huge year ... i also like that schenn is a big boy with some grit to help hartnell protect G... least we forget... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1kBJ6pEJTM
    When it comes to protecting Giroux, Schenn is the perfect athlete for the city of brotherly love. I believe he shoved around Chara when he didnt like a hit Chara put on one of his teammates, and then another time dropped gloves with Kovy to defend his teammate. Schenn doesn't care if he will get killed in a fight, he just stands up for his guys. Brayden, you came to the right town

vCash
    Lines in today's practice:

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
    Talbot-Couturier-Voracek
    Simmonds-Laughton-Read
    Fedotenko-Wellwood-Rinaldo

Timmonen-Schenn
    Coburn-Grossmann
    Meszaros-Foster
    Gervais-Lilja

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...nto-focus.html

I guess the question is what happens when Briere comes back. I see either Briere centering the second line, Couts dropping to the 3rd (or Briere replacing Laughton on the third line), and Laughton going back to juniors,
    or
    If Laughton really impresses, Briere could join the second line on the wing, and Talbot centers either the third line (with Laughton dropping to four) or fourth line. In that case, Wellwood or Rinaldo is scratched.

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Lines in today's practice:

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
    Talbot-Couturier-Voracek
    Simmonds-Laughton-Read
    Fedotenko-Wellwood-Rinaldo

Timmonen-Schenn
    Coburn-Grossmann
    Meszaros-Foster
    Gervais-Lilja

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...nto-focus.html

I guess the question is what happens when Briere comes back. I see either Briere centering the second line, Couts dropping to the 3rd (or Briere replacing Laughton on the third line), and Laughton going back to juniors,
    or
    If Laughton really impresses, Briere could join the second line on the wing, and Talbot centers either the third line (with Laughton dropping to four) or fourth line. In that case, Wellwood or Rinaldo is scratched.

wow are those some weird lines. right away i'd say talbot and simmonds are switched, BUT those might be [and probably are] purpose built lines for Pittsburgh (in which case, i'd say Lavy just about nailed it. The only defensive liability is Hartnell, and he'll be on the ice with two incredible defensive centers)

The way every line is designed, they are shut-down lines. Each line can go out there against a line of Malkin - Crosby- Oveckin and play them well. Its the first game of the season, best time to experiment

after the first 2 games, Id imagine we'd see
    Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
    Simmonds-Briere-Voracek
    Talbot-Couturier-Read
    Fedotenko-Laughton-Rinaldo

and with line 3 or 4, whoever seems to not be playing well (besides Couts) will get replaced by Wellwood, even if just temporarily
    Last edited by Randall Stevens; 01-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.

vCash
    side note, its incredible that there will be 20,000 people at a damn practice. How many teams in the NHL could have pulled that off? Even better is if they were instead $10 tickets (all going to Hurricane Sandy charity or something) I know it would still be sold out.
    I would have gone if I could get to Philly in time after work. Anybody on here going?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345