Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

BREAKING: Chip Kelly Will Stay at Oregon

Oregon coach Chip Kelly has decided to turn down a chance to go to the NFL and instead will return to the Ducks, according to league sources.

Kelly was intrigued with the Philadelphia Eagles' head coaching job but decided he wasn't comfortable leaving the college game.

The Cleveland Browns are the only other NFL team known to have interviewed Kelly. The two sides met last week but the Browns decided to reboot their coach search after leaving Arizona late Sunday morning without landing Kelly, sources said.

There's no guarantee that Chip Kelly would be a success in the NFL, but missing out on hiring him is a major setback for the Browns, who played all of their chips on the Oregon coach and lost, Jamison Hensley writes. Blog

The Eagles are the only other NFL team known to have interviewed Kelly.

Philadelphia took its coaching search committee to Denver to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy on Sunday after a lengthy meeting with Kelly on Saturday night in Arizona.

Kelly has built the Ducks into a national power. Oregon has gone 46-7 in the last four years and made four consecutive BCS bowl games. Kelly runs a high-octane, fast-breaking offense, and elements of his schemes are already being used by New England and Washington.

Kelly may face NCAA sanctions in his return to Oregon as the school is being investigated for recruiting violations.
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ks-sources-say

vCash
    It didn't make much sense for him to leave Oregon. I don't even know why he interviewed with the Cleveland Browns? Everybody knew he wasn't gonna leave Oregon to go takeover a franchise that has struggled so much since coming back into the league. I do think there was some interest in the job at Philadelphia.

I mean seriously though he has never coached in the NFL. He was gonna leave a top 10 college program where he will always be respected and loved to move all the way to the other side of the country without any of his coaching staff.... It didn't make any sense.

People are saying this likely means he sticks around for awhile because this is 2 years in a row he had talks with NFL teams and went back to Oregon. The next time it happens teams aren't gonna waste their time.

vCash
    This is huge for Oregon obviously. Coaching changes are such an unknown. Sometimes it can take 10 years to find another good coach, or longer. I sort of thought Chip Kelly was pulling a Pete Carroll and dodging the sanctions which would have been a double whammy for the Ducks.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    This is huge for Oregon obviously. Coaching changes are such an unknown. Sometimes it can take 10 years to find another good coach, or longer. I sort of thought Chip Kelly was pulling a Pete Carroll and dodging the sanctions which would have been a double whammy for the Ducks.
    Many are still saying that they are gonna get sanctions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLuver View Post
    haha i feel this way too

vCash
    Don't think Chip will never move onto the NFL.

vCash
    kind of surprising if you ask me. i though philly would have been a good fit for his system, especially since they have shown they will give their coach some lee way and time.good for him staying in college though.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Many are still saying that they are gonna get sanctions.
    Yeah I know. I mean I thought he was leaving college because of them. It sounded like coming back to Oregon wasn't even something he was considering, but that's the media for you.

vCash
    I still think hes got wind that the sanctions wont be too heavy, so he came back.

To me that's the only logical answer for him not heading to the NFL.

People may disagree, but I think the main reason he was condiering leaving was because of big sanctions and the only reason to come back is because those sanctions won't be nearly as dramatic.

vCash
    Read this earlier today. Not really surprised if it's true.

Edit:

http://nesn.com/2013/01/chip-kelly-w...gonian-writer/
    Last edited by B'sCeltsPatsSox; 01-07-2013 at 05:18 PM.

vCash
    Chip didn't exactly turn down Philly by the way. He put the ball in Philly's court to give him power over personnel decisions, and they didn't budge. Philly was the only job that truly interested him, but he just didn't get everything he wanted. I hope he wants to stay a long time, but I'm not sold on that just yet. Regardless, one more year of Chip is better than no more years of Chip!
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    I still think hes got wind that the sanctions wont be too heavy, so he came back.

To me that's the only logical answer for him not heading to the NFL.

People may disagree, but I think the main reason he was condiering leaving was because of big sanctions and the only reason to come back is because those sanctions won't be nearly as dramatic.
    Maybe he will get a bigger contract out of this situation?

vCash

Good for Chip. Can't wait til he takes over for Billy B!
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    This is interesting...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    From @mortreport and me: Eagles met with Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly, who is now out of country. Sides expect to revisit talks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast