Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Luongo talk: Update - potential deal in place?

A backup goalie, a third-line centre and a depth defenceman are on general manager Mike Gillis's shopping list as the Vancouver Canucks prepare for a shortened National Hockey League season.

Gillis could conceivably plug some of those holes by trading goalie Roberto Luongo between now and the start of the season, which is expected on or about Jan. 19 after the NHL and its players reached a tentative deal early Sunday to end the 113-day lockout.

There were media reports during the lockout that Gillis and Toronto general manager Brian Burke had a deal in place to trade Luongo to the Leafs.

Both Gillis and Burke have denied that any deal is done, but Toronto or Florida seem like logical landing spots for Luongo.

Wherever Luongo lands, Gillis will be looking for some assets in return to help fill the holes on his roster.

With centre Ryan Kesler still not ready to play after off-season shoulder and wrist surgeries, the Canucks are thin at centre ice. Henrik Sedin, Maxim Lapierre and Manny Malhotra are the only experienced NHL centres currently on the Canuck roster.

Not only would the Canucks like to upgrade their third-line centre slot, they also need someone to fill in as second-line centre until Kesler is ready to go.

Any Luongo deal with the Leafs could include center Tyler Bozak, who had 18 goals and 47 points with Toronto last season.

Bozak could conceivably fill in as second-line centre and then drop down to the third line when Kesler returns.

Prospect Jordan Schroeder, Vancouver's first-round pick in 2009, will also get a chance to make the team at what will be an abbreviated training camp. The 22-year-old centre has nine goals and 19 points in 30 games this season with Vancouver's AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves.

A Luongo trade is highly likely but not absolutely guaranteed. The Canucks do have enough cap space to keep both Cory Schneider and Luongo, but that does not seem a palatable option for the team. Look for Luongo to be moved sooner rather than later.

If that happens and Vancouver does not receive a goalie in a Luongo trade, then Gillis will have to find one on the free-agent market. Veteran Dan Ellis, a 32-year-old whose NHL stops have included Anaheim, Tampa Bay and Nashville, has expressed interest in playing in Vancouver and could be a fit.

The Canucks are in decent shape on defence where youngster Chris Tanev, who has spent the lockout playing with the Chicago Wolves, will join veterans Kevin Bieksa, Dan Hamhuis, Jason Garrison, Alex Edler, Keith Ballard and Andrew Alberts. The Canucks will be looking to sign or trade for one more depth defenceman.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz2HExLJOw3
    Finally some news!
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    eww Tyler Bozak is all we get for an Olympic gold medalist?

vCash
    Just watching Sportsnet, John Shannon continues to say with confidence that Luongo will be a Leaf come the start of the season. He refuses to mention who's involved as well. I'm not a fan of Shannon but I will acknowledge that he's a legit source. When Kypreos asked if it was Bozak and Kadri, or if it would get it done, Shannon just shrugged. Said he doesn't wanna get into trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Just watching Sportsnet, John Shannon continues to say with confidence that Luongo will be a Leaf come the start of the season. He refuses to mention who's involved as well. I'm not a fan of Shannon but I will acknowledge that he's a legit source. When Kypreos asked if it was Bozak and Kadri, or if it would get it done, Shannon just shrugged. Said he doesn't wanna get into trouble.
    Small return for a very good goalie. That would be brutal and Gillis should be fired if that's what he has planned. First he gets scorched in the Hodgson deal and now this? ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Small return for a very good goalie. That would be brutal and Gillis should be fired if that's what he has planned. First he gets scorched in the Hodgson deal and now this? ****
    +1, Sounding board says: Get value or don't move him yet. There are going to be other teams that decide they're interested in him later on this season including the would be Panthers.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Am I the only one thinking of trading Schneider instead. If bozak is what we get as a return I would rather amnesty roberto and take the cap space. Ink you are right in saying Gillis should lose his job if he botches this.

vCash
    getting rid of Schneider i feel is too damn was too risky we really dont have a clue on how these guys will perform the lockout really did f*cked things up royally..

vCash
    Anyone want Arnott?
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I would love to see arnott here as long as he can still play. I don't know why but he reminds me of Dave Andrychuck at the end of his career.

vCash
    I'll cry if Bozak is our return if Luongo is moved.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    I'll cry if Bozak is our return if Luongo is moved.
    Well the rumored deal before had Bozak,a prospect(Kadri?) and a pick going back. I'd assume that pick isn't a first rounder, Burke would be crucified here even if it was protected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    Am I the only one thinking of trading Schneider instead. If bozak is what we get as a return I would rather amnesty roberto and take the cap space. Ink you are right in saying Gillis should lose his job if he botches this.
    Why would you rather amnesty Luongo then trade him for Bozak?

vCash

<3

vCash
    I've been thinking we should trade Cory instead of Luongo for a while obviously. We would get a better return and Luongo's contract is pretty damn good if you look around the league.

This is despite the fact that Luongo is arguably the second best goaltender in the NHL (based on the consistency with which he posts an elite even-strength save percentage), and carries only the 7th highest cap-hit of NHL goaltenders signed through the 2013-14 season (behind Rinne, Bryzgalov, Lundqvist, Quick, Kipprusoff, Miller and Ward). So while Luongo is an elite goaltender, and is paid less than a whole whack of his less consistent contemporaries...
    http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/2/cap-...out-candidates

vCash
    Brian Burke fired... Not sure what this means about a Luo deal.

<3

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast