Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 488
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,726
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Kuharsky with cap space data:

    Colts general manager Ryan Grigson will enter a whole new world with that $46 million of cap room a year after his team swallowed about $37 million in dead money plus a $19 million cap hit for Dwight Freeney in the final year of his contract.

    But the initial list of free agents to-be doesn’t have me thinking he can necessarily hit a jackpot.

    From this link you can get position-by-position lists from Pro Football Focus. Most or all of the restricted free agents will get tenders and not be able to move. And of the guys heading to restricted free agency, some will re-sign and some will get franchise tagged.

    I expect Grigson will bring in some quality people to address trouble areas starting with the offensive line. But he’s not going to shoot to spend every available penny if he doesn’t find guys who are worth it or who will accept contracts he thinks they’re worth.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...cap-situations
    I don't think they are looking at our needs comparing it to the FA list...there aren't any MVP candidates but at T and G there are a few pro bowlers even if both Clady and Long are not on the market....plus at SS and possibly WR we are looking at getting our pick of pro bowlers. This isn't a sexy FA period...but it is a great one for our needs. Look at the teams with extended periods of success...you draft your stars, and fill your needs in FA. If you sign stars you end up with no cap space to improve and players under performing their contracts like the "Dream Team" Philly and for a long time Wash.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-10-2013 at 09:24 AM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    All Up In There!
    Posts
    3,886
    vCash
    1500
    Seeing what Grig's did with the peanut butter and jelly budget he had last season I have to believe he will do just fine with the extra cash and still spend wisely. One thing to remember is that he is going to be a player in Free Agency as iirc, there is a 90% cap floor that was added in the last CBA?
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    All Up In There!
    Posts
    3,886
    vCash
    1500
    Grigsy is already trying to uncover his next gem

    http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/0...een-signs.html
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,726
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Grigsy is already trying to uncover his next gem

    http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/0...een-signs.html
    HAHA the "Fever" threw me there for a minute...thought he was digging in the WNBA

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,130
    vCash
    1500
    I love his 'leave no stone unturned' attitude towards building a team.


    "In my eyes, life is likened to christian ideology... its molded into three parts best described by the divine comedy; inferno, purgatorio and paradiso. You can live it in self loathing and pity, obscurity and ambiguity, or with beauty and elegance. Does that make the ideology truth? no, it makes it an irrelevent metaphor." ;p

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    All Up In There!
    Posts
    3,886
    vCash
    1500
    I am guessing they are going to try him at OLB? 6'3" 265lbs and I read somewhere he had 4.6 40 speed....
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,052
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    Grigsy is already trying to uncover his next gem

    http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/0...een-signs.html
    dead link for me

    edit: Now it's working?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    75,070
    vCash
    1500
    Teams look at what Freeman did for us so now everyone is going to start looking at different leagues to find a cheap solution.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

    #3in5



    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,163
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Teams look at what Freeman did for us so now everyone is going to start looking at different leagues to find a cheap solution.
    I don't think much will change, actually. Cameron Wake also had a huge impact out of the CFL, but that didn't change much in terms of the way teams do things. Teams like the Dolphins and Colts will continue to look outside the box and benefit greatly from it, and others will continue to ignore the CFL and other, similar leagues because they're prejudiced towards them. Works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    one guy doesn't take you from yearly playoff conteder to the worst team in football

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    75,070
    vCash
    1500
    Why do you feel teams are so reluctant to go after CFL guys?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

    #3in5



    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,726
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Why do you feel teams are so reluctant to go after CFL guys?
    Not really my opinion after seeing Freeman and guys like Kenton Keith and John Chick have some success just off the top of my head but I think a lot of them just don't see CFL players any better than much younger rookie UFAs....which is what most if not all CFL players were.

    Things like AFL QB's make sense to take a look at because with the smaller field you have to be more accurate, and AFL WRs because you have to be able to get open with less field to work with...but I just don't think many NFL GMs respect the CFL for anything but end of the bench guys and if you are looking for those why not take a shot on an undrafted rookie who is 4+ years younger.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    75,070
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    Not really my opinion after seeing Freeman and guys like Kenton Keith and John Chick have some success just off the top of my head but I think a lot of them just don't see CFL players any better than much younger rookie UFAs....which is what most if not all CFL players were.

    Things like AFL QB's make sense to take a look at because with the smaller field you have to be more accurate, and AFL WRs because you have to be able to get open with less field to work with...but I just don't think many NFL GMs respect the CFL for anything but end of the bench guys and if you are looking for those why not take a shot on an undrafted rookie who is 4+ years younger.
    But if the CFL guys are putting up monster numbers, maybe they severely improved themselves and 'figured something out.' I mean, talent is talent. Also, good call on Chick, i miss that guy.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

    #3in5



    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,726
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    But if the CFL guys are putting up monster numbers, maybe they severely improved themselves and 'figured something out.' I mean, talent is talent. Also, good call on Chick, i miss that guy.
    Yea but in the NFL it is a bad position for CFL players since the teams that could use them day one would rather take a chance on younger guys to rebuild (and why teams that think that way will always be bad), and the teams that would be smart enough to go after them wouldn't play them unless there was an injury since they probably have a better player on their roster...

    I'm not sure of CFL salaries but I would guess for stars it would be around that of a NFL minimum or a little more so really they can start for the CFL and be on top of the league or sit the bench in the NFL for what I'm guessing could be close to the same price. If they could sign CFL players mid season I think we would see many more once starters started getting banged up.

    I'm all for other teams overlooking them for whatever reason though since it looks like we are going to get our pick of the CFL stars...

    I realize this just might just be American thinking, but I've always wondered why they haven't adopted some sort of partnership with the NFL and CFL...seems like it would work out for both. Use the CFL for a minor league with maybe setting a certain week to bring your players up or they stay the year and the CFL gets some money from the NFL who has never really been able to get a minor league program with NFL Europe failing.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-12-2013 at 08:32 PM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    75,070
    vCash
    1500
    Sucks that Peyton lost today but at least all the morons that said cutting him was the wrong decision will now be quiet.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

    #3in5



    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,163
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Why do you feel teams are so reluctant to go after CFL guys?
    Because it's the CFL, and many people seem to think if you're up there, you're not good enough to be in the NFL. Sounds pretty stupid, and it is, but that's pretty much the way it is and it won't change any time soon. Between Ricky Williams being average at best during his year there, and Freeman and Wake going from the CFL to being NFL starters(in Wake's case, a Pro Bowler, and Freeman could be there soon enough), that hasn't changed one thing. Same kind of thing going on with Marc Trestman, if anyone hires him, they'll be getting a great head coach, but teams seem reluctant to do so because he's in the CFL right now. Never mind his credentials as a QB guru and the fact that he did quite well in his first NFL stint, he's a CFL coach so he's not worthy.

    Overall, I'm guessing a lot of teams just see it as a waste of time, and like matthollabak said, would rather go for undrafted free agents. What they overlook is that a lot of those guys flame out entirely(and also do so if they head north), while CFL starters develop well and turn into very good football players. Oh well, it's their loss.

    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    Yea but in the NFL it is a bad position for CFL players since the teams that could use them day one would rather take a chance on younger guys to rebuild (and why teams that think that way will always be bad), and the teams that would be smart enough to go after them wouldn't play them unless there was an injury since they probably have a better player on their roster...

    I'm not sure of CFL salaries but I would guess for stars it would be around that of a NFL minimum or a little more so really they can start for the CFL and be on top of the league or sit the bench in the NFL for what I'm guessing could be close to the same price. If they could sign CFL players mid season I think we would see many more once starters started getting banged up.

    I'm all for other teams overlooking them for whatever reason though since it looks like we are going to get our pick of the CFL stars...

    I realize this just might just be American thinking, but I've always wondered why they haven't adopted some sort of partnership with the NFL and CFL...seems like it would work out for both. Use the CFL for a minor league with maybe setting a certain week to bring your players up or they stay the year and the CFL gets some money from the NFL who has never really been able to get a minor league program with NFL Europe failing.
    CFL would never go for it. Overall the league does fine enough financially, primarily because it's such a fan-driven league. They'd lose tons of fan support and in the long run they'd probably come out behind money-wise, as their merchandise sales would probably take a huge hit, on top of attendance dwindling(and don't be fooled, in some markets merch. sales are huge, probably way bigger than you would guess). On top of all that, they'd have to change to American football, which would never fly.
    Last edited by VladTheImpaler; 01-13-2013 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    one guy doesn't take you from yearly playoff conteder to the worst team in football

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •