Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Tom Z should have been cut after seeing Mathis (or maybe it was Freeman) track down Ray Rice on that 40 yard catch and run. Z was a huge disappointment.
    Yea he was...I thought he would at least be an upgrade over players we had last year but it turned out he wasn't in the running and passing game. I think he will be nice next year as a backup and special teams player which he was with Baltimore, but as a starter he proved he isn't capable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    Yea it is kinda sad that if we were looking for a FS there would be tons of options.
    Safety is safety. Bethea can play either and had played SS before. He could easily move to SS and bring Byrd in. Hes a damn good young safety and Id be ecstatic if we signed him.

Lucks on our side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Colts2180 View Post
    Safety is safety. Bethea can play either and had played SS before. He could easily move to SS and bring Byrd in. Hes a damn good young safety and Id be ecstatic if we signed him.
    Not really....they do a lot of similar things, but that is like saying that a TE is the same as a WR or a FB is the same as a HB. Sure there are guys that can play both with success, like Dallas Clark or Peyton Hillis (he was originally a pretty good FB then converted to HB), but they aren't always able to play both well.

A SS needs to be capable in coverage and a great run stopper, FS are the opposite, they need to be the last line of defense and able to ball hawk and play center field and capable of stopping the run if they get past the LBs. SSs usually take more of a beating and hence tend to be a bit bulkier since they will take more punishment in the running game and usually play closer to the line. I'm not saying Bethea couldn't or hasn't played SS or Byrd for that matter, but ideally you don't want 2 of the same type of player as safeties. We saw the same kind of problems arise in defending the running game having 2 similar rush OLBs rather than a true SAM LB and a Jack.

The way I look at it is that the FS is a Ball Hawk with great range and the SS is the hammer who tries to get himself in on every tackle...there are some exceptions and a great player with no holes in his game can go at both positions....but no reason to move Bethea when he is a really good FS, and no reason to go after Byrd when he offers a lot of the same things at a much higher price than a SS would.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-18-2013 at 03:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    Yea he was...I thought he would at least be an upgrade over players we had last year but it turned out he wasn't in the running and passing game. I think he will be nice next year as a backup and special teams player which he was with Baltimore, but as a starter he proved he isn't capable.
    Lefeged (always seem to butcher his name) outplayed him IMO.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Lefeged (always seem to butcher his name) outplayed him IMO.
    Completely agree....The sad part is that I thought Z filled a great need in the run game at least for the short term....I knew he wasn't a great coverage guy but thought his run D would make up for it. Sadly he showed this year he is average at best in run D and way below average in coverage....hey at least if we keep him we are getting a really good special teams guy that can box

vCash
    I agree about Lefeged, I felt he outplayed Z.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Do we keep Jerry Hughes? I've been hearing he costs too much to release and 4 sacks for a backup not bad imo

vCash
    Def disappointed in Tommy Z this year, but I feel we need to address CB on defense before S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinCollie17 View Post
    Do we keep Jerry Hughes? I've been hearing he costs too much to release and 4 sacks for a backup not bad imo
    So frustrating.... He's a camp beast every year. In reality, he has improved. I think we all need to lower his ceiling and harbour any and all expectations. Once we do that, nobody would mind having him around as a backup. Though, nobody would be disappointed loosing him.

vCash
    True ^^ I always thought he had such great potential but it is so risky starting him for an entire season btw everyone go watch this it freaking amazing team highlights (didn't create) http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4lzWhUwzo

vCash
    Hughes has to be kept. He still has potential (lol)!
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I think hiring Pep will definitely push Grigson to spend most of his FA money on Offensive line... not that he wasn't going to, but we can't move forward with this group.

<3

vCash
    Hughes has to be kept. He still has potential (lol)!
    Sadly I think he is still in the position that he costs more to cut than keep. Only thing keeping him taking up a roster spot at this point.

I think hiring Pep will definitely push Grigson to spend most of his FA money on Offensive line... not that he wasn't going to, but we can't move forward with this group.
    Wouldn't mind this. Sign vets for the O-line and draft D. Though with as much cap room as they have I hope they have some left over to shore up the D at least a little. Having a good/great O-line and a respectable D would make the current team if not SB contenders just a small step below it.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century – that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    So frustrating.... He's a camp beast every year. In reality, he has improved. I think we all need to lower his ceiling and harbour any and all expectations. Once we do that, nobody would mind having him around as a backup. Though, nobody would be disappointed loosing him.

I agree completely!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    Sadly I think he is still in the position that he costs more to cut than keep. Only thing keeping him taking up a roster spot at this point.

Wouldn't mind this. Sign vets for the O-line and draft D. Though with as much cap room as they have I hope they have some left over to shore up the D at least a little. Having a good/great O-line and a respectable D would make the current team if not SB contenders just a small step below it.
    I think Grigs will sign 1 G and 1 T and maybe another guard. He'll also sign AT LEAST 1 corner back. Might sign several depth players and hopes that one sticks. Maybe brings back Powers.

With Jimmy Raye.. maybe Grigs goes after Shaun Philips, Luis Vasquez, and Quentin Jammer.

<3

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast