Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Melo and the Knicks are looking down on the Celtics from the top of the Atlantic Divi

Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire remain, but NY Knicks are a far different team than the one the Boston Celtics swept in the 2011 NBA Playoffs

In less than two years, so much about one of the league's most storied rivalries is different but the most dramatic change is this: The Knicks are no longer looking up at the Celtics.

By Frank Isola / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, January 6, 2013, 4:17 PM.

Melo and the Knicks are looking down on the Celtics from the top of the Atlantic Division standings.

The Knicks roster, thankfully, has been completely turned over since that night in Boston six years ago when the Celtics embarrassed them 104-59 on national television.

That was the game where Isiah Thomas' team trailed by 50 points and a disgruntled Knicks fan tossed his replica jersey onto the court in protest. Ah, the memories.

Meanwhile, Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire are the lone holdovers from a Knicks squad that Boston swept in the first round of the NBA Playoffs in 2011. In less than two years, so much about one of the league's most storied rivalries is different but the most dramatic change is this:

The Knicks are no longer looking up at the Celtics.

Mike Woodson's team enters Monday's first meeting against Doc Rivers club in first place in the Atlantic Division and seven full games ahead of the Celtics in the standings.

"We don't even think about them," Anthony said. "No disrespect or anything. We're focused on ourselves. It just so happens the Celtics is the next game on our schedule."

Despite losing Ray Allen to free agency, Boston was still regarded as a contending team in the preseason. Now, at 16-17 they sit in eighth place in the Eastern Conference. But with Rivers as head coach and a championship tested roster featuring Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo, the Knicks understand what the Celtics are capable of accomplishing and are not about to pronounce them dead.

"No, no, no," Jason Kidd said. "They're not done at all. There's a lot of basketball. They got a great coach and they understand what it takes to win."

"They do things late in the season," Tyson Chandler added. "There's not much of a sense of urgency as far as the regular season goes because they know they've been together a long time and know they can turn it on."

The veterans in the Knicks locker room are too savvy to admit that playing Boston in early January is more than what it is; one of 82 regular season games. But a victory on Monday against an arch nemesis does, at least symbolically, carry more weight than say defeating Charlotte.

"It's going to be a big game," Anthony said after scoring 40 points in Saturday's win at Orlando. "Anytime New York plays Boston it's a big game, physical game. We're more concerned about ourselves than the Boston Celtics, just moving forward and getting better."

When the Knicks met Boston in the playoffs two years ago, Anthony took an ill-advised long jumper at the end of Game 1 to seal their fate. In Game 2, he passed up a shot that resulted in Garnett blocking Jared Jeffries' lay-up to preserve a win.

Anthony now has a better understanding of knowing when to shoot and pass. That says something about Anthony's maturity as a player and person and it also says something about the talented and veteran supporting cast, anchored by Kidd, the Knicks front office assembled for their All Star forward.

On Saturday, Anthony scored 16 fourth quarter points as the Knicks overcame an eight-point deficit. He set up Chandler for a dunk and made the pass out of the double team that led to J.R. Smith assisting on Kidd's game clinching three-pointer.

"We lean on Melo a lot," Kidd said. "But we have four other guys out there that can help him. With the shooters we have that keeps him one on one. And his job is to put the ball in the basket and he's one of the best in the world at doing that."

Anthony admitted to experiencing soreness again in his left knee but is expected to play on Monday. Stoudemire will continue to come off the bench while Marcus Camby will make his third straight start.

The Knicks record is 23-10, including two wins against both Miami and San Antonio. They still have four games left against Boston which amounts to four chances to prove that the rivalry has finally changed in their favor.

"There's a lot of history," Kidd said. "In the preseason we got to see a little bit of it. This is what counts. We expect them to be ready to play. People are saying they're struggling but they're a veteran ball club and they understand what's at stake."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2HElAHNTe

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    That bit in the article about the fan tossing his jersey onto the floor in protest gets me worked up with bad memories. Man I can't wait for this game. This game means a lot to us fans. Let's hope the guys come out and finish with guns blazing. The Celtics have been a thorn in our side for too long now.

vCash
    I'll be at this game freakin' pumped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    That bit in the article about the fan tossing his jersey onto the floor in protest gets me worked up with bad memories. Man I can't wait for this game. This game means a lot to us fans. Let's hope the guys come out and finish with guns blazing. The Celtics have been a thorn in our side for too long now.
    I was at that game and went to the bar with him after the game.

vCash
    Can't wait. Hope we come out strong and not wait 'til we're down by double digits before we start to play D! I'll never forget seeing Paul Pierce taking bows at mid-court following a Boston win in our house. I want to embarass the Celtics!

Last edited by YankeeFanAlways; 01-06-2013 at 07:11 PM.

vCash
    Last time we played the Celtics Melo had 35, 12, 10, JR Smith & Novak drained 3 after 3... Last year we won both games in MSG

I hope we can pull this one out... I hate seeing Celtic fans on Twitter

vCash
    This will be on helluva game!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Not trying to discount the Celtics, but if we are going to move forward as favorites to make it to the Eastern Conference finals, we have to beat this team. No excuses.

We are down our PG and our likely starting 2, but we've gotten back our star PF, and Camby. We've had practice time, Melo is playing like an MVP and JR is gunning for 6th man of the year.

This is the type of game we have to win at all costs.

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash

NY Knicks are a far different team than the one the Boston Celtics swept in the 2011

Thought it was an interesting read... A lot has changed in a few years. To think that we were a low seed getting swept by the Celtics to now being a very formidable team is amazing.

I am new so I'm still learning my way around! But here's the link to the article...

http://www.knicksfix.com/game-page.html

Edit: Mods are welcome to edit this
    Last edited by Lala'sBooty; 01-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lala'sBooty View Post
    Thought it was an interesting read... A lot has changed in a few years. To think that we were a low seed getting swept by the Celtics to now being a very formidable team is amazing.

I am new so I'm still learning my way around! But here's the link to the article...

a few years ago we would not have won this game!!!

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    To get where Boston and Miami are we have to start beating them. Come playoff time they go to another level....we have to get to that level and it start with regular season victories.

So this is a big game towards winning the season series vs the Celtics.

Somebody need to put KG on his *** SERIOUSLY.
    Last edited by Missing56&33; 01-06-2013 at 09:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    To get where Boston and Miami are we have to start beating them. Come playoff time they go to anothet level....we have to get to that level and it start with regular season victories.

So this is a big game towards winning the season series vs the Celtics.

Somebody need to put KG on his *** SERIOUSLY.
    Kg is a ***** ***. I wanna see sheed get in this game and taunt all the celtics. too bad we have a classy *** team.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Kg is a ***** ***. I wanna see sheed get in this game and taunt all the celtics. too bad we have a classy *** team.
    This....it would be sweet to see Sheed knock down some 3's with the 3 to the head ....looking at the Celtics bench.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    This....it would be sweey to see Sheed knock down some 3's with the 3 to the head ....looking at the Celtics bench.
    bahaha ball don't lie!!

vCash

Welcome to the board. I merged your thread since StillA already posted the same article

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast