Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Some Stats

Some Stats

Just thought I'd create this trade so anyone could post any random interesting stat. With this forum dead, i'll probably end up using it as a note pad. Anyway, I'll start with some:

-In the first 11 games, Payton is shooting 81.3% on FTs and 35.3% on 3 point shots. He has made 6 threes already. It took him 67 games to make 6 last year. Obviously that was one of our biggest concerns moving forward, and so far the signs are positive.

-Another big concern was Vucevic's help defense. He's averaging 2.2 blocks per 36 up from 0.8 per 36 last year. He's moving well, giving effort, and playing smart defense for the most part.

-One more concern is if anyone would have the ability to get to the FT line. So far Aaron Gordon's FT rate has been almost Harden-like at 53%.

We're holding opponents to a FG% of 42.2 (Golden state is 3rd at 41.9%), and 3pt % of 31.9 (6th in the league).
    Last edited by 5ass; 11-18-2015 at 03:01 AM.

I've watched barely any of the Magic this year, just part of the Sixers game, but I used to watch a lot so I still kind of follow them. It's good to see the D getting shored up because that was the main problem I saw last year - the offense was average but could flash pretty good but the D was pathetic. It seems like Gordon getting minutes probably helps (based on what I saw in college) - how much of a factor would you say he is vs. Harris/Vuc improvements. To me they were the 2 worst culprits defensively last year.

From an outsider's view, I still think they need to trade Oladipo or Payton. And from what I've seen, I'd trade Oladipo because he looks like a prototypical tweener to me while Payton has all the instincts for the position and defensive versatility you could want. I love the kid TBH. Plus the team already has Fournier/Mario/Harris to work off the ball, and that's not even counting Vuc who is probably the best scorer of all.

Like I said I haven't watched much, just wondering how you guys think the rotation is going to shake out. I think an 8 man of Payton, Mario, Harris, Gordon, Vuc, Dedmon, Fournier, backup PG is a lot more desirable than all the mixing and matching I saw last year. Hell the Magic had 2 fairly solid players they let go (OQuinn and Harkless) - it'd be a shame just to see them have to let go of more talent because they didn't make it fit.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I've watched barely any of the Magic this year, just part of the Sixers game, but I used to watch a lot so I still kind of follow them. It's good to see the D getting shored up because that was the main problem I saw last year - the offense was average but could flash pretty good but the D was pathetic. It seems like Gordon getting minutes probably helps (based on what I saw in college) - how much of a factor would you say he is vs. Harris/Vuc improvements. To me they were the 2 worst culprits defensively last year.

From an outsider's view, I still think they need to trade Oladipo or Payton. And from what I've seen, I'd trade Oladipo because he looks like a prototypical tweener to me while Payton has all the instincts for the position and defensive versatility you could want. I love the kid TBH. Plus the team already has Fournier/Mario/Harris to work off the ball, and that's not even counting Vuc who is probably the best scorer of all.

Like I said I haven't watched much, just wondering how you guys think the rotation is going to shake out. I think an 8 man of Payton, Mario, Harris, Gordon, Vuc, Dedmon, Fournier, backup PG is a lot more desirable than all the mixing and matching I saw last year. Hell the Magic had 2 fairly solid players they let go (OQuinn and Harkless) - it'd be a shame just to see them have to let go of more talent because they didn't make it fit.
    Gordon is really disruptive defensively. He's not elite yet, but when him and Dedmon come into the game together the defense improves significantly. Oladipo has also been playing excellent defense. He's way more focused than last year, probably one of the best defensive guards in the league right now. Skiles doesn't throw around too many compliments, and he called oladipo an all defensive team player. Harris has also made some improvements. Its been a team effort, as they all raised their defense, but I think Vucevic is probably the biggest factor. He has become a respectable defender from being a bad defender. I never expected such a big jump in one offseason.

I agree that Payton and Oladipo aren't a great fit, but last year we saw some flashes of how they can work off each other both offensively and defensively. I'm not ready to give up on that pairing. They're currently both adjusting to their new roles. I'm willing to wait 2 years for that backcourt to start clicking because I love their defensive potential. Worst case scenario, you try to avoid putting them both on the court together and have Fournier pair with them in the back court. I disagree that Oladipo is a prototypical tweener as he has the ability to play good defense at both positions. Offensively he's still not good playing off the ball though, you're right. IF we had to trade one of them, I guess I'd vote Oladipo out, but that's only because Payton is my favorite player on the team.

I'm not sure what the rotation will look like this towards the end of the year or next year, ideally I want Oladipo to pick up minutes at back up PG. He just needs to start hitting his threes. Napier/Watson are good, but if Oladipo is playing the back up PG role that's more minutes for a better player. It's not like he'll be playing as a traditional PG either, we'll have other play makers on the court with him.

As for O'Quinn and Harkless, I've always been a fan of O'Quinn, but Smith has been better. Mario has been better than Harkless too, and he's giving us floor spacing.

Someone on Reddit said that Oladipo has the worst FG% near the rim and Payton was 3rd worst in the entire league. If neither of them can shoot OR finish, that's bad.

I been saying for awhile that Payton/Fournier is a better back court and that Oladipo is a perfect 6th man. 24 points off the bench tonight and a win.

A beach of Dipo, Mario, and Gordon can be outstanding.

Bonus: Tonight Ryen Russillo was talking about Dwight and said "he's not a guy you want on your side in a dark alley" lol.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by thaShady View Post
    Someone on Reddit said that Oladipo has the worst FG% near the rim and Payton was 3rd worst in the entire league. If neither of them can shoot OR finish, that's bad.

I been saying for awhile that Payton/Fournier is a better back court and that Oladipo is a perfect 6th man. 24 points off the bench tonight and a win.

A beach of Dipo, Mario, and Gordon can be outstanding.

Bonus: Tonight Ryen Russillo was talking about Dwight and said "he's not a guy you want on your side in a dark alley" lol.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    I'm not worried about that. Oladipo has shown he can finish around the rim at a decent rate (prime D-Rose%). He'll be fine. Everyone is freaking out about his shooting % but people don't realise that he's rebounding the ball at an incredible rate, playing great defense, and has cut down his turnovers significantly. He's playing in a different role and isn't getting his shots the way he's used to. No reason to panic. If the guy hit one more open 3 per game (which he will eventually), he'd be averaging 44% from the field and 50% from 3. So it's not like he's regressed badly and proving to be incompetent. Things will get better. Payton will be fine, let him keep shooting those jump shots, and eventually he'll be more efficient all over the floor. He's shooting 33% from 3, and 74% and the FT line. Good improvement so far for an offseason. In a couple of years he could become a respectable shooter.

As long as we keep playing defense, we'll be fine. We're the second youngest team in the league after the sixers, and we're already thinking play offs with 2 20 year old top 5 picks on our team.
    Last edited by 5ass; 11-26-2015 at 09:03 PM.

17 games in, we're 9-8. We're 14th in offensive efficiency, at league average. 9th in defensive efficiency, we allow 4th lowest FG%, and 7th lowest 3pt%. 15th in SRS.

21 games in we're 5th in defensive rating. 5th!

Quote Originally Posted by 5ass View Post
    21 games in we're 5th in defensive rating. 5th!
    This is the reason i wanted Skiles