Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    Like it or not Duda, unless he flops completely, will be the starting leftfielder. That's one. I could live with a Nieiwenhuis/Cowgill platoon. Its the RF spot that we need a decent power bat...Hairston is the bare minimum. A trade for a long term solution like an Upton would be the other best option. And if Bourn costs us the pick and Delmon Young does not then signing DY makes some sense.
    No.

Right now there should be open auditions for all 3 outfield positions. There are no more Jason Bay salaries to clog a specific spot. Duda only plays if he hits, or at least hits better than anyone else they put out there which admittedly isnt setting the bar too high.

Duda certainly hasnt earned a default position in the OF, not by anyone's wildest imagination.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    No.

Right now there should be open auditions for all 3 outfield positions. There are no more Jason Bay salaries to clog a specific spot. Duda only plays if he hits, or at least hits better than anyone else they put out there which admittedly isnt setting the bar too high.

Duda certainly hasnt earned a default position in the OF, not by anyone's wildest imagination.
    Agreed, Duda will be handed nothing, he hasn't earned that, not even close.

vCash
    No.

Umm .. right on! As certain kinds of people used to say (before they joined Wall Street and moved to the burbs). Wright, Tejada, Murphy and Davis are certain in the field. Nielsen, Harvey and Gee are certain on the mound.

And that's it.

- NOBODY in the outfield has a secure position; everyone there has to prove he belongs in the major leagues. Good luck on that project.
    - The starting catcher is John Buck - a guy who sure looks like he's sliding downhill. D'Arnaud has to prove he can play in the majors.
    - The back end of the starting staff is ?? We'll all have to wait and see if Santana has anything left. And whether young Wheeler can step up and contribute.
    - the bullpen is a bunch of guys who are called out of those auto shops the Wilpons want to wipe away.

We are in FLUX dudes. There ain't no core (unless some of you consider one guy - David - a 'core') -- there are only glimmers of promises.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNY62 View Post
    Umm .. right on! As certain kinds of people used to say (before they joined Wall Street and moved to the burbs). Wright, Tejada, Murphy and Davis are certain in the field. Nielsen, Harvey and Gee are certain on the mound.

And that's it.

- NOBODY in the outfield has a secure position; everyone there has to prove he belongs in the major leagues. Good luck on that project.
    - The starting catcher is John Buck - a guy who sure looks like he's sliding downhill. D'Arnaud has to prove he can play in the majors.
    - The back end of the starting staff is ?? We'll all have to wait and see if Santana has anything left. And whether young Wheeler can step up and contribute.
    - the bullpen is a bunch of guys who are called out of those auto shops the Wilpons want to wipe away.

We are in FLUX dudes. There ain't no core (unless some of you consider one guy - David - a 'core') -- there are only glimmers of promises.
    And the thing is, open tryouts at all these positions makes them fun to watch. Instead of being a team of self entitled players with expensive multi year contracts, they're a bunch of hungry young kids looking to prove they belong in the majors.

That's a healthy environment.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    And the thing is, open tryouts at all these positions makes them fun to watch. Instead of being a team of self entitled players with expensive multi year contracts, they're a bunch of hungry young kids looking to prove they belong in the majors.

That's a healthy environment.
    Actually that sounds like every Kansas City Royal's ST..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Actually that sounds like every Kansas City Royal's ST..
    You bet. That's what we've come to. We're mirrored in the dark days of the late 70's. Maybe Stork Theodore will be out there in ST shagging flies and trying to make the big club.

vCash
    You bet. That's what we've come to. We're mirrored in the dark days of the late 70's. Maybe Stork Theodore will be out there in ST shagging flies and trying to make the big club.
    I'd still rather have open tryouts every year than be stuck with expensive over paid, under productive clods. At least there's hope with the former, even if the hope only lasts until mid May at best.

Sigh.

vCash
    Boisclaire > Stork

Mets' worst play ever in the OF made by Boisclaire circa 1978(?) at Dodger Stadium. Still get chills thinking about it. Oh the humanity!
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-16-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: imadumbass
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    The late '70s were much worse than now. No hit Flynn at 2B, Montanez and Hebner on their downside at the corners, Frank Taveras at SS, Stearns trying to stay healthy at C, Youngblood/Mazzilli/SHenderson/KHenderson/Grieve trying to make an outfield in which nobody could hit 20 homers or drive in 80 RBIs....Swan who was good, with Zachry who had one good rookie year then not much, retreads like Pete Falcone, Ray Burris, Bobby Jones----all #4 starters. Skip Lockwood and Apodaca in the pen. No stars on the team after the Great Purge of 1976 [Seaver, Koosman, Matlack, Staub, Kingman and Milner---their three best pitchers and hitters all gone in six months for spare parts or nada]. And the hard part was watching Amos Otis, Ken Singleton, Bobby Stanton, Nolan Ryan and the stars they let go starring for other teams while we wondered if 'top' prospects like Brock Pemberton and Rich Puig could hit major league pitching [hint: they couldn't]. The farm had little until Frank Cashen took over. He used the few remnants of the old regime [Orosco, Allen, Brooks, MWilson] and built a champion within five years. Let's hope history repeats itself but we are starting at a much better place.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    The late '70s were much worse than now. No hit Flynn at 2B, Montanez and Hebner on their downside at the corners, Frank Taveras at SS, Stearns trying to stay healthy at C, Youngblood/Mazzilli/SHenderson/KHenderson/Grieve trying to make an outfield in which nobody could hit 20 homers or drive in 80 RBIs....Swan who was good, with Zachry who had one good rookie year then not much, retreads like Pete Falcone, Ray Burris, Bobby Jones----all #4 starters. Skip Lockwood and Apodaca in the pen. No stars on the team after the Great Purge of 1976 [Seaver, Koosman, Matlack, Staub, Kingman and Milner---their three best pitchers and hitters all gone in six months for spare parts or nada]. And the hard part was watching Amos Otis, Ken Singleton, Bobby Stanton, Nolan Ryan and the stars they let go starring for other teams while we wondered if 'top' prospects like Brock Pemberton and Rich Puig could hit major league pitching [hint: they couldn't]. The farm had little until Frank Cashen took over. He used the few remnants of the old regime [Orosco, Allen, Brooks, MWilson] and built a champion within five years. Let's hope history repeats itself but we are starting at a much better place.
    Stearns was an All Star caliber catcher who didn't get hurt until the early 80s, 1982 I think. Bobby Jones didn't come on board until the mid 90s. Montanez knocked in nearly 100 runs in his first season in 1978, and then disappeared in 1979.

Richie Hebner was a disaster from the get go.

Mookie and Hubie didn't make their debuts until 1980 and became full time players in the strike interrupted year the following season.

It was LeRoy Stanton, not Bobby.

Swan was a decent front of the rotation pitcher; Zachry was a decent back of the rotation pitcher, and every so often but not too often, Falcone would pitch a decent game.

I'd take the outfield of Henderson. Mazilli, and Youngblood over any outfield the Mets can put together now. That speaks more about how horrendous our outfield is now than how good it was then. It wasn't.

To your point, those teams didn't have anything close to David Wright. And while Daniel Murphy could hit bullets around Doug Flynn, Flynn could field bullets around Murphy. I take Tejada over Taveras every day of the week and at least 5 times on Sunday.

vCash
    im not sure if you truely realize how bad this lineup is. it is flat out the worst lineup, top to bottom in all of MLB. 4th place would be a terrific finish for this bunch. we're looking at last place, with 60-65 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by akorber View Post
    im not sure if you truely realize how bad this lineup is. it is flat out the worst lineup, top to bottom in all of MLB. 4th place would be a terrific finish for this bunch. we're looking at last place, with 60-65 wins.
    As it stands now, there are four automatic outs: The three outfielders plus the pitcher. Well, maybe three automatic outs if Baxter plays. That's still an awful lot of holes for the other hitters to compensate for and it's not as if Tejada, Murphy, Davis, and Buck/d'Arnaud are Silver Sluggers themselves.

The only thing is that last season I predicted 62-67 wins and they surprised the hell out of me the first half before becoming the team I thought they'd be in the second half.

And who knows? Maybe they get something out of Capt. K, den Dekker, Duda, and Flores. That's why they play the games.

vCash
    As it stands now, there are four automatic outs: The three outfielders plus the pitcher. Well, maybe three automatic outs if Baxter plays. That's still an awful lot of holes for the other hitters to compensate for and it's not as if Tejada, Murphy, Davis, and Buck/d'Arnaud are Silver Sluggers themselves.

The only thing is that last season I predicted 62-67 wins and they surprised the hell out of me the first half before becoming the team I thought they'd be in the second half.

And who knows? Maybe they get something out of Capt. K, den Dekker, Duda, and Flores. That's why they play the games.
    I don't think the lineup is the end of the world, but it's definitely bottom 1/4th in the league.

But if I recall, there was a year not too long ago where we had Brad Emaus towards the top of the lineup and Mike Jacobs batting cleanup. LOL. Oh and I think that lineup had Gary Matthews, Jr. too. WOW that was a bad lineup. Now, I think that was because we were injured everywhere, but all I'm saying is that I would take this healthy lineup over that one in a heartbeat!! Maybe all of those guys weren't in the lineup in the same year, but after awhile it all blurs together...all the agita.

If Ike, Wright and Duda stay healthy, I'll bet they'll have about 80 homeruns between them. Speaking of which, wasn't there a year recently where the entire club probably had less than 80 on the year? Hahaha. I looked it up: it was 95 in 2009. That was 27 lower than the next lowest team on the list. Yikes!

I'm not worried about Duda's bat. He's shown pop already and he's going to get even better defensively. His bat is there, he could go yard 30 times this season. It's just that his defense, as you know, is ridiculously bad. Watching it can make your eyes bleed.
    Last edited by StoicSentry; 01-17-2013 at 10:19 AM.

vCash
    I think everyone can, at minimum, agree that Hairston should not even be considered a full-time outfielder. He's a niche player- a guy that can mash lefties but is just exposed if he plays too much against righties. Perhaps a platoon situation with Duda and Hairston would maximize what you get from both?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    I don't think the lineup is the end of the world, but it's definitely bottom 1/4th in the league.

But if I recall, there was a year not too long ago where we had Brad Emaus towards the top of the lineup and Mike Jacobs batting cleanup. LOL. Oh and I think that lineup had Gary Matthews, Jr. too. WOW that was a bad lineup. Now, I think that was because we were injured everywhere, but all I'm saying is that I would take this healthy lineup over that one in a heartbeat!! Maybe all of those guys weren't in the lineup in the same year, but after awhile it all blurs together...all the agita.

If Ike, Wright and Duda stay healthy, I'll bet they'll have about 80 homeruns between them. Speaking of which, wasn't there a year recently where the entire club probably had less than 80 on the year? Hahaha. I looked it up: it was 95 in 2009. That was 27 lower than the next lowest team on the list. Yikes!

I'm not worried about Duda's bat. He's shown pop already and he's going to get even better defensively. His bat is there, he could go yard 30 times this season. It's just that his defense, as you know, is ridiculously bad. Watching it can make your eyes bleed.
    Eamus never played with Jacobs and Gary Matthews F-ing Jr but yeah, we've certainly had some head scratching lineups in the past.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast