Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Lowe speculates that Gay COULD land in Boston if traded

Boston has a worse per-game scoring margin than the Raptors and Pistons, and the struggles happening now are different than 2009-10 (when Boston showed early signs of greatness before falling into a malaise) and last season (when the lockout screwed everyone up). This team has earned the benefit of the doubt, especially on defense, but the front office will have to at least consider looking toward the future if things donít improve on the court in the next month. Gay and Rajon Rondo are friends, if that matters; Rondo chooses his friends carefully.

Two things work against Boston getting involved in any Gay deal:

1. The chances of pawning Jeff Greenís terrible contract off on Memphis plummeted when Levien and Hollinger took on key decision-making roles. Finding a workable deal without Greenís contract is tricky.

2. Boston used the full mid-level exception on Jason Terry, meaning their payroll during this season cannot exceed $74.3 million ó $4 million above the tax line ó at any point. Bostonís payroll is at about $71.9 million, meaning they can only take on about $2.4 million in salary. Memphis needs to drop $4 million to duck the tax; simple math says Boston would have to find a third team with cap space to facilitate ó unless Memphis is prepared to settle for a deal that cuts their tax payment but doesnít get them under.

Houston, Phoenix, and Cleveland are the only teams with major cap room, and any of the three could appear as a facilitator if Memphis does move Gay. (The Cavs obviously need a small forward, but itís hard to find a realistic fit, since Memphisí strong big rotation minimizes the need for Clevelandís best trade asset, Anderson Varejao).

A package of Green, Courtney Lee, and Avery Bradley works, though it only saves Memphis about $1.4 million in salary (and the same amount in tax payments). Memphis might be able to cut the rest by salary-dumping Marreese Speights or Bayless later (Speights isnít trade-eligible until Jan. 15 and can veto any deal), and they could sell at least Lee and Bradley as helpful pieces that fill needs now and going forward. Replace Green with the cheaper Brandon Bass, and Boston would have to work a lot harder ó sending out more players, and involving more teams ó in order to find a deal.

Paul Pierce for Gay works straight-up, but itís sacrilege and does not save Memphis any tax money this season.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...e-will-he-land

I dont really see it. Memphis could benefit from Pierce if they want to make a serious playoff run, but I dont really see us dealing him (Even if they should)

vCash
    And I wouldn't give up Avery toward getting Gay.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Very unlikely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    I absolutely would

vCash
    I'd do it. His FG% is the only downside, and that could just be the team. Bradley is a fun guy to watch but he's a roleplayer 3-4th option on offense, won't help is if the team is terrible next year

vCash
    I think I would...if we could use Jeff Green's contract to dump on them. Lee/Green/Avery for Rudy Gay. I shift Pierce to SG if we did that.

Obviously I'd prefer to use Sullinger and/Melo for a trade chip.
    El Presidente

vCash
    i dont see how this works for the celtics unless they dump Pierce off somewhere else. Shifting Pierce to SG would be disastrous on the defensive side of the ball and no way either of them comes off the bench. No thanks.
    The name is Amendola....

...Danny Amendola

vCash
    gay might be able to play SG on defense hes younger and quicker than pierce so pierce might not have to change his defensive role much. obviously bradley would be a superior outside defender but gay would bring a huge boost to the offense. Plus this could help make a nice tight rotation at the 1,2,3 spots with rondo terry gay pierce covering a lot of the minutes in those spots. Dont know what it would take to land him but i do like Gay as a player and definitely is a guy who could run all day with rondo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrianscal View Post
    I absolutely would
    Quote Originally Posted by rufo4100 View Post
    I think I would...if we could use Jeff Green's contract to dump on them. Lee/Green/Avery for Rudy Gay. I shift Pierce to SG if we did that.

Obviously I'd prefer to use Sullinger and/Melo for a trade chip.
    You guys are crazy to part with Avery for Gay. I don't think he's that good and he's definitely overrated. He's on a balanced scoring team with no superstar scorer. If he was on a different team, his stats would go down from 18PPG to around 12-14. A team with one of the best records in the league and playoff aspirations wouldn't be looking to trade him if he was that good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradytoMossTD View Post
    i dont see how this works for the celtics unless they dump Pierce off somewhere else. Shifting Pierce to SG would be disastrous on the defensive side of the ball and no way either of them comes off the bench. No thanks.
    this

vCash
    Doesn't solve our rebounding problem. Next trade please.

vCash

Lowe speculates that Gay COULD land in Boston if traded

He can score and hes athletic, he may not solve the rebounding problem or the defensive woes but were struggling in all 3 phases of the game. Depending what we give up for him I'd do it. And yes i would include Bradley because i understand he is a good energy guy and good defender but i think Boston fans overrate his trade value sometimes. He is a great piece on any team in the nba but i don't believe he is a guy you necessarily HAVE to have around to rebuild/reload.

vCash
    You guys are crazy to part with Avery for Gay. I don't think he's that good and he's definitely overrated. He's on a balanced scoring team with no superstar scorer. If he was on a different team, his stats would go down from 18PPG to around 12-14. A team with one of the best records in the league and playoff aspirations wouldn't be looking to trade him if he was that good.
    I don't want Gay because he doesn't fit, but you're acting like Avery is a superstar himself. If Gay's contract wasn't so bleh I would trade Green and Bradley, and probably a first for Gay with no hesitation.

vCash
    To me Gay is a younger Pierce. We need someone in the middle not another wing player tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    I don't want Gay because he doesn't fit, but you're acting like Avery is a superstar himself. If Gay's contract wasn't so bleh I would trade Green and Bradley, and probably a first for Gay with no hesitation.
    There's a difference between superstar and a key piece you need for your team. Avery's defensive value is worth too much to our team to give him up for Gay. Did you see how bad Tony Allen decimated us the other night with his defense? We let go one Tony Allen, and we were lucky to find a similar player in Bradley. If he goes, it has to be for a star because you can't easily replace guys like Tony and Avery.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast