Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Who plays D?

vCash
    Id like to see if Reilly is ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    Does no one ever learn...why rush these prospects...is Reilly really going to be the difference between the Leafs making the playoffs or not? Let him finish off the year in junior and go from there. Please don't ruin another highly drafted prospect
    It really ruined Drew Doughty or Tavares, or Stamkos?

Its obviously a case by case basis, but i dont think being in the NHL ruins anyones development

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post

Its obviously a case by case basis, but i dont think being in the NHL ruins anyones development
    pretty elite company though. I think Lavy was specifically referring to Schenn, but i think that is a bit different. Offensive Dmen and Defensive Dmen develop differently but i do agree with your case by case basis idea.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash

This really worked well for Luke Schenn didn't it

vCash
    The difference between Schenn and Rielly are major. Schenn can't skate.. Rielly can. Schenn has no hands.. Rielly has sick hands. It's night and day with those two. End of the day though I don't think keeping Rielly with the big club is a smart idea but he's got a chance to play his way on to the team.

vCash
    Id like to see if Reilly is ready.
    What's the rush...the Leafs don't need more offensive minded d-men to make the playoffs...they need a shut down one that can clear the front of the net.

vCash
    It's a lot easier to break into the NHL as a forward than it is as a defenceman...once again...ask Luke Schenn...the reason I keep bringing up Schenn is because he is a product of the Leafs system and it shows a history as to what happened in Toronto the last time they rushed a defensive prospect...I could mention Jeff Ware, Kenny Jonnson or Drake Berehowsky too if you want more of a franchise history

vCash
    Weak UFA class right now but I'm sure they can find someone serviceable. I wouldn't be opposed to having Ranger as a 3rd pairing guy if Franson doesn't come back. How much worse could they do? Better hope Gardiner heals quickly. I can't shake the feeling that the Leafs will keep Rielly. At least the 9 game stint before contract kicks in. Hope not

vCash
    were fine on d we have some depth there. Rielly needs to stay down. Ranger will be on this team for sure and i see Franson coming back

Phaneuf-Gunner
    Liles- Franson
    Komi- Ranger
    Holzer.

vCash
    How is cam fowler developing? RC kept him up but I dont follow the ducks

vCash
    I also don't think it's a great idea to keep Reiley around. I think his confidence would take a bit of a beating with guys skating past him. His offensive game is NHL ready and I wouldn't be concerned about that, just the defensive side of the equation needs some work and time to grow at a lower level IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    This really worked well for Luke Schenn didn't it
    Did Luke Schenn not become what we expected because he played in the NHL at 18?

What evidence or even what conjecture do you have of this?

Maybe luke Schenn just wasn't as good as the management thought or maybe he just didn't develop or maybe he still will?

vCash
    IMHO:

Dion - Gunner
    Liles - Kostka
    Komi - Holzer
    Gardiner(he's hurt)

I have a feeling Franson will be traded to Edmonton for either Gagner/Paajarvi/Omark or picks...just a hunch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ktownguy31 View Post
    How is cam fowler developing? RC kept him up but I dont follow the ducks
    Fowler appeared to suffer from the sophmore slump...he put up 10 goals and 30 assists in his rookie year and followed that up with 5 goals and 24 assists. He was a -25 and -28 in those years too. His lack off offensive production in his second year could be due to the fact the big 4 (Getzlaf, Selanne, Ryan and Perry) had 134 goals in his rookie year and scored almost 30 less in his sophmore season.

vCash
    Did Luke Schenn not become what we expected because he played in the NHL at 18?

What evidence or even what conjecture do you have of this?

Maybe luke Schenn just wasn't as good as the management thought or maybe he just didn't develop or maybe he still will?
    I would say yes considering how high he was drafted and what expectations were placed on him prior to playing in the NHL. Many people thought he was going to be the the second coming of Scott Stevens. As an 18 year old he had zero offensive game and this is something that needed to be worked on and should have been worked on in junior. No one ever expected him to be an offensive threat, but he needed to add that to his game to become a more rounded defenceman. He should have been sent to the minors at times in his stint with the Leafs, but for some reason he never was. I think it's because the Leafs management didn't want to publically admit they made a mistake by rushing him. They ruin his confidence and we all know how that turned out last year. My question to you again is...what is the rush to get an 18 year old into the NHL???

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast