Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who plays D?

vCash
    Mirtle tweeted this Saturday training camp and Jan 19th season to start...

vCash
    So none of the kelowna rocket NHL drafted players are reporting to camp...so I doubt any of them will which im fine with

vCash
    No reason to rush Reilly with Gardiner coming into his sophomore year and Liles on the PP. But since Gardiner is out, it's hard to say.

Once everyone is healthy and playing, I would like to explore this line up:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
    Gunnarsson - Komisarek
    Liles - Holzer/Kostka/Ranger

However, going into the season with Gardiner out,

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
    Liles - Komisarek
    Ranger - Kostka/Holzer

Either way, Carlyle has some big decisions to make.

vCash
    He has huge decisions to make. Kostka has been huge with the Marlies so far and many people in the Toronto media think he deserves a shot.

I don't think Blacker. Maybe Holzer... Gardiner no doubt if he's healthy.

Right now it looks like:

Phaneuf - Gunnar

Liles - Gardiner

Komisarek - Kostka/Holzer/Franson

Keep them both Nonis.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Franson has no commitment to stay in sweden. He can leave when he wants. I think shutting Gardiner down would be good, let him heal up.

Phanuef- Gun show
    Liles- Franson
    Holzer- Komi

regarding Franson:
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/01...nson-in-lineup

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4580356/

old articles but it's straight from his agent, only two things stand in his way to being a leaf:

1: Lockout must end (check)
    2: Leafs must sign him (in-progress)

Leafs could re-file arbitration and if it's less than $3.5m the leafs have to accept it (according to TSN's list of new rules). I forget where the negotiations left off but i doubt he got more than that.
    Okay, thanks, I just thought i read somewhere that since he signed a full year contract without an escape clause or whatever the other NHLers had, that he had to play the full year there. I honestly don't know why Burke and Wilson barried him as the 7th defenceman when he was easily top 4 on a good Nashville team. He definately should have played more than Komi as he can actually skate with his big frame and his big shot hits the net a lot more than the other guys on the back end.

vCash
    ^
    Franson does not skate well. That's a myth for some reason. You'll see when the season opens. He's got alot of tools and alot of upside but man he's gotta put in some work to try and work on mobility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Okay, thanks, I just thought i read somewhere that since he signed a full year contract without an escape clause or whatever the other NHLers had, that he had to play the full year there. I honestly don't know why Burke and Wilson barried him as the 7th defenceman when he was easily top 4 on a good Nashville team. He definately should have played more than Komi as he can actually skate with his big frame and his big shot hits the net a lot more than the other guys on the back end.
    understandable i thought the same when i didn't see an out clause, but because Franson is not under contract he is not obligated to negotiate an out-clause and can leave when he wants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSoxMaster View Post
    ^
    Franson does not skate well. That's a myth for some reason. You'll see when the season opens. He's got alot of tools and alot of upside but man he's gotta put in some work to try and work on mobility.
    A myth for some reason? lol because you've never seen him play? He's looks slow but that's just because of his size. Myers looks slow out there too but its just cause he has longer strides. Obviously he's not going to be able to sneak through and dangle people but he can go when he has too. Komi on the other hand, slow as hell.

vCash
    Carlyle is talking to media right now.

stream from tsn.ca its right on the front page by the video player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    understandable i thought the same when i didn't see an out clause, but because Franson is not under contract he is not obligated to negotiate an out-clause and can leave when he wants.
    Makes sense, and I guess it's not the KHL either so they're not going to try and stop any deal made.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    A myth for some reason? lol because you've never seen him play? He's looks slow but that's just because of his size. Myers looks slow out there too but its just cause he has longer strides. Obviously he's not going to be able to sneak through and dangle people but he can go when he has too. Komi on the other hand, slow as hell.
    Franson is slow and I watch every game the Leafs play every year so last year was no exception. I even know what # he wears The kid is slow, definitly not fleet of foot. He was getting torched by inferior competition overseas. I like the kid, like his sence, love his shot but he's a bad skater. Not Komisarek bad but even I can outskate him. No lie lol. Hopefully Franson will benefit from that new power skating coach we hired over the summer. The thing that can mask Franson's poor skating is positioning. Players like him need to know where to be so they don't get torched often.

vCash
    Ideal scenario would be to get both Franson and Gardiner back. But in the meantime I see us rocking Holzer and Ranger as the 3rd pair, with both being easily pushed back down the depth chart if need be.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    The Leafs are going to be weak on defence this year in their own end and it will really show if Reimer has a sub par season. If the Leafs acquire a legit starter they won't be exposed as much. The Leafs don't have an elephant to play the shut down role and clear the front of the net unless Komi built a time machine during the strike.
    Last edited by Lavy16; 01-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    The Leafs are going to be weak on defence this year in their own end and it will really sure if Reimer has a sub par season. If the Leafs acquire a legit starter they won't be exposed as much. The Leafs don't have an elephant to play the shut down role and clear the front of the net unless Komi built a time machine during the strike.
    Komi got married and finished earning his uni/college diploma, maybe it's a Diploma that certifies his excellence in building time machines?????

vCash
    Excellence in Truculence.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast