Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Post Ellis,Dalembert mentioned in trades?

The Milwaukee Bucks are stuck oscillating between different types of mediocre, they control a lot of moveable pieces and role playing veterans, and other contenders around the league will soon be shopping for an extra player or two to improve their chances of winning a title in 2012-13. These factors mean the Bucks are an easy team to implicate in NBA trade rumors.

Samuel Dalembert, Beno Udrih and Mike Dunleavy are all complimentary veteran players on expiring deals, while Brandon Jennings is headed to restricted free agency this summer and Monta Ellis holds an $11M player option for 2013-14. The Bucks certainly aren't married to their current mix of players, and things could change dramatically during the off-season if head coach Scott Skiles and general manager John Hammond aren't re-signed when their contracts expire.

Dan has already discussed the Brooklyn Nets' rumored interest in Ersan Ilyasova, and if that particular rumor still has any legs it won't emerge again until Ersan can officially be dealt (Jan. 15). Frank has already explained why Monta Ellis would be the more likely player to depart in the backcourt, so we should be clear on that front. From my perspective the Bucks are in a rebuilding mode (if they intend to become a contender), and it makes more sense to invest in a 23-year-old Jennings than a 27-year-old Ellis who may start to decline on the back end of his next contract -- he relies on athleticism, and his outside shot is sub-par, so it's hard to see he can be truly effective at age 30 or beyond.

In any case, let's get to the rumors. Monta Ellis and Samuel Dalembert are starting to pop up in hypothetical deals, but none of the current possibilities excite me. Here is a look at the Bucks' cap situation:

Bucks_cap_large

The Bucks have plenty of flexibility after this season, but let's remember that Brandon Jennings will probably cost somewhere between $6-9 million annually, and Larry Sanders would run the Bucks $10+ million per season in a new deal if he keeps up his current production (as explained by Frank).

The Rudy Gay Rumor

Zach Lowe of Grantland says the Memphis Grizzlies have "made it known in preliminary talks with other teams that Rudy Gay could be available via trade," so he explored some possibilities in his most recent column. Why are the Grizzlies looking to deal Gay? The simple answer is that they can't afford to keep Gay, Gasol and Mike Conley together in the long term. SB Nation's Straight Outta Vancouver explained the situation aptly several weeks ago:

The Grizzlies have a several players making a lot of money next year. For the 2013-14 season, Rudy Gay will be making $17,888,931; Zach Randolph will be making $17,800,000; Marc Gasol will be making $14,860,523; and Mike Conley will be making $8,000,001. The year after that, Gay and Randolph have player options for $19.3 million and $16.5 million respectively, Gasol makes $15.8 million and Conley makes $8.6 million.[1]

To put it simply, something has to give. That's $58 million tied up in four players, and that's not including Tony Wroten's rookie deal, team options on Josh Selby andQuincy Pondexter, Marreese Speights' player option, or Hamed Haddadi's $1.3 million. The Grizzlies are a small market team with a new ownership group. Unless they're willing to go far into the luxury tax to keep the entire core together, somebody's going to have to go eventually.

As for the trade possibility, Lowe lists the Bucks under the "Sensible Candidates"category with the following deal: Rudy Gay for Monta Ellis + Doron Lamb. We've assumed that Monta would opt out of his deal if the Bucks kept him until the end of the season -- he's got a window to get more guaranteed money in a long-term deal and he hasn't been overly happy in Milwaukee, so I think it makes sense -- so the deal would shift more long-term money onto the Bucks' books for a different B-level pseudo star. I'm not too impressed with the package.

Gay is a very solid player, and he may even make an all-star team in the Eastern Conference, but he's overpaid. There's a reason the Grizzlies would rather part with him than Gasol, Conley or even Randolph...they can spend that money in better ways. Gay is owed roughly $37 million over the next two years, and the final year of his deal is a $19 million player option that he would be unlikely to opt out from, because it's $19 million for one year for a guy who has never been to an all-star game and has never made an all-NBA team. It wouldn't be a Michael Redd deal for the final two years, but it wouldn't be different enough to make me that excited about it. I'd take my chances with a better deal coming along.

The Bucks would be essentially be tied down to another two years on the same path they've been travelling for the past five: get a B-level guy, surround him with C- or D- level guys and hope something good happens on the way towards the playoffs in a weak Eastern Conference. I don't like the current plan, so I'm more inclined to keep Ellis and hope that he opts out. Whether it's Hammond or someone else in control for 2013-14, the extra cap space and flexibility would be a great thing to have, because it might even encourage a true rebuilding approach.

Here's what Lowe thinks of his proposed deal:

If you can't get an "A" star with the kind of cap room Milwaukee might have this summer, why not take a shot at an overpaid "B" star in the hope he develops into an "A-" guy on your dime? Milwaukee's cap room for this summer depends on Ellis declining his own player option anyway, and the Bucks could make up the difference between Ellis's deal and Gay's by using the amnesty provision (remember that?) on Drew Gooden.

The Bucks have never liked the idea of paying Gooden (or anyone else) to go away, and my hunch is that they're not likely to get involved with Memphis here. But there might be a workable deal, especially if Gay wants out of the ultra-competitive Western Conference.

The Samuel Dalembert Chatter

LeBron James and the Miami Heat have struggled to rebound and defend the interior this season, and their fanbase has taken note of Samuel Dalembert's spot on the bench with the Bucks. The Heat defense hasn't been up-to-par (they are No. 16 in defensive efficiency) and they rank in the bottom-half of the association in all advanced rebounding-rate categories, so Dalembert would be a good fit.

Even LeBron has admitted that they may not have the right mix of players to compete on the boards right now (via the Sun Sentinel):

"We don't have a dominant rebounder," forward LeBron James said. "Collectively, we've got to try to help rebound with one another. Right now, we don't have the size, the athleticism to go up there and dominate a rebounding game. We're trying to collectively do it together, try not to give them second-chance points. We're getting killed in that, too."

"Rebounding is not something you work on, it's a knack," James said. "You go up and get rebounds however you do it. You block out, get a rebound. You see it in the air and you kind of read it off the rim. It's not like grade school, where five guys would box out and let the ball hit the ground once and then go get it. It's a knack. Some guys have it, some guys don't. As a collective group, we don't have it right now."

I think LeBron worked his way into a tricky spot with that quote, because if rebounding is "knack" that comes naturally and that it can't be worked on, then Miami needs to add someone to solve the problem.

Dalembert has that knack, but he's been buried on the Bucks' bench for the better part of the past two months. Heat fans have recently started asking Sun Sentinel reporter Ira Winderman about a potential trade. Winderman isn't exactly impressed with the option, and it's because the Bucks and Heat match up poorly when it comes to assets. Who would the Bucks want to take back for the veteran center? Here's a look at the Heat roster, via Basketball Reference:

The only (reasonable) option that interests me is Norris Cole (he can play some defense, for what I've read) -- although James Jones can hit some threes -- but someone like Joel Anthony or Udonis Haslem would have to go the Bucks to match salaries, and I'm not interested in adding any long-term money when Dalembert's deal could just expire at the end of the season. It would be a nice gesture to a vet like Dalembert to deal him to a team that would use him, but any move would leave Joel Przybilla next in line at center if injuries knocked Larry Sanders or Ekpe Udoh out of the lineup.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2013/1/4/383...muel-dalembert
    Last edited by MILLERHIGHLIFE; 01-06-2013 at 09:30 AM.

vCash
    After reading all that nothing new. Heat would be a bad trading partner anyway. Mike Miller is bad contract. Rather see Dalembert contract expire.

vCash
    Possibly involve a third team for a guard if we so the gay trade. But I don't really see the heat as a goo trade partner for anyone. They don't have great trade pieces.

vCash
    What about this trade?

Bucks send
    S. Dalembert to Miami
    D. Gooden and M. Ellis to Memphis

Heat send
    M. Miller to Memphis
    N. Coles to Milwaukee

Grizzlies send
    R. Gay and T. Allen to Milwaukee

Heat get
    S. Dalembert

Grizzlies get
    M. Ellis, D. Gooden and M. Miller

Bucks get
    R. Gay, T. Allen and N. Coles

Bucks would only have Tony Allen for one year. Next year Coles and Lamb could battle for the backup 2 position and we'd have star at the SF, with some cap room next summer to also sign a solid 2G.
    Last edited by UrOlympicHero; 01-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    I would do that in a heartbeat for the bucks. Whether or no that makes since for he other teams, especially the griz remains to be seen.

vCash
    I just want Monta Ellis off this team.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    New 2013 NBA trade rumors could reveal a Brandon Jennings trade by the Milwaukee Bucks in the near future. A new report from CBS Sports on Sunday (Jan. 13) points out that Milwaukee is looking to make a trade and that they have a number of players that could be dealt before the NBA trade deadline.

Jennings becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the regular season, but it might come down to how much Milwaukee wants to spend on re-signing him. The team failed to give him a contract extension earlier this season, raising the stakes when it comes to future negotiations. It's also possible that Jennings wants a max-contract that Milwaukee might not be able to afford.

In addition to Jennings, CBS notes that Samuel Dalembert, John Henson, Ekpe Udoh, Larry Sanders, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Drew Gooden, and Beno Udrih could all be available on the trade market. It's even possible that Monta Ellis could be had for the right price, especially since he has an early-termination option within his own contract.

Milwaukee definitely has some tough decisions to make in the immediate future and many of them could shape how this team looks in the next few seasons. The easiest players to trade might be Dalembert, Mike Dunleavy and Udrih because they have expiring contracts, but what exactly could they expect in return for role players?

Do you think that the 2013 NBA trade rumors surrounding the Milwaukee Bucks will continue to increase? Could a Brandon Jennings trade really help out the franchise in the long-term?
    http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle...81474981837691

Not liking the CBS quote of Sanders and Henson in the list. They should be untouchable and building blocks going forward for Milwaukee.

vCash
    I guess I'm not opposed to shopping Sanders and Henson. Obviously they are as close to untouchable as someone can be, but I'm not sure either one of them is a superstar. They both can be very good players, but I don't think either will be the central piece of a true championship team. If we could get that central piece for one or both of them (which is highly unlikely) we should do it.

I'm not saying we should be actively shopping either one of them, but if the call comes in and someone offers the world for one of them, then we'd be stupid for not listening.

vCash
    I rather trade the back court and package Gooden in one of them deals. Then start Beno at pg and hopefully we get a young sg back in a trade like Burks or Marshon Brooks.

vCash
    I'm seriously done with this team and hope they move away if they trade either Sanders or Henson.

vCash
    Sanders or Henson only if Gooden attached, and a good starter in return, hopefully someone with good fg%.

vCash
    I'm sick of the perpetual empty the roster and rebuild scenario. Sign Jennings at whatever the cost for God's sake, lock Henson, Sanders, and probably Ellis up LT, and trade baggage for Rudy Gay. I know some don't like Ellis & he has his quirks, but the kid can put fans in the seats. At this point we need FANS in the seats or we don't get a new stadium and they will end up moving.

Open the pocketbook you tightwad Kohl and lets actually compete for once. It's pathetic the last time we were memorably competitive was when Cassell, Ray Allen, and Big Dog were here. Typical liberal, tight with his own money but expects everybody else to shell it out.
    Last edited by Superfly; 01-19-2013 at 11:18 PM.

vCash
    Monta Ellis trade rumors hint a Milwaukee Bucks trade could take place within the next month. According to a new report on Tuesday (Jan. 15) there is a market for Ellis, but it could all come down to which players a trading partner is willing to take from the Bucks with him.

While it is clear that Ellis offers a lot to any team out there, Milwaukee really wants to trade Drew Gooden, Samuel Dalembert, and Beno Udrih. Those are three guys that don't have a lot of value right now, but who might be required components of any deal. The good part of the equation is that Udrih and Dalembert are in the final years of their current contracts.

Ellis is getting paid $11 million this season and then he has a player option of $11 million in the 2013-14 season. He could opt out and become an unrestricted free agent, meaning Milwaukee would be left with nothing if he wants a new deal. This is why he is a good player for another franchise to pursue, especially because he isn't locked into a longterm deal yet.

There are a few young players like Brandon Jennings and Larry Sanders that the Bucks front office would like to build around, but the team needs more talent to become serious contenders in the Eastern Conference. Trading Ellis might seem like a step in the wrong direction, but it would be catastrophic if they lost him to free agency for nothing.

Do you think any of the Monta Ellis trade rumors will evolve into something? What team do you think would be the best fit for a player like Ellis? Could the Milwaukee Bucks net a young asset or two for him?
    http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle...81474981838525

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I'm sick of the perpetual empty the roster and rebuild scenario. Sign Jennings at whatever the cost for God's sake, lock Henson, Sanders, and probably Ellis up LT, and trade baggage for Rudy Gay. I know some don't like Ellis & he has his quirks, but the kid can put fans in the seats. At this point we need FANS in the seats or we don't get a new stadium and they will end up moving.

Open the pocketbook you tightwad Kohl and lets actually compete for once. It's pathetic the last time we were memorably competitive was when Cassell, Ray Allen, and Big Dog were here. Typical liberal, tight with his own money but expects everybody else to shell it out.
    You my friend are awesome! Couldn't agree more!
    [CENTER]
    AARON RODGERS

*Super Bowl XLV Champion
    *Super Bowl XLV MVP
    *2011 NFL MVP