Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Who should be our 5th starter?

I say Jeremy Hefner.

He had a 3.66 FIP last year and a crazy low walk rate(1.73 BB/9) in 93.2 IP. His xFIP is a little higher at 4.21, but that is still perfectly acceptable for a 5th starter. His K/BB was 3.44 too which is great.

His 5.09 ERA looks like a fluke because he didn't allow many homers and his LOB% was very low. His BABIP looked higher than it probably should be(.319)

He also gets a decent amount of GBs(43.8%) so he seems like a worthy option.

Bill James projects a 3.87 ERA and 3.62 FIP for him in 2013 which would be tremendous.

I'd rather focus on the bullpen again, and it will be easier to demote Hefner to the pen than a FA starter for when Wheeler comes up. I think it makes sense.

I'm sure people will want Mejia to get a shot, but honestly his command doesn't seem good enough to be a starter. It's a huge issue for him that needs serious adjustment.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 01-05-2013 at 11:07 PM.

vCash
    I'd like to bring back Young for cheap, but I don't think that will happen.

If that's the case, then yes, I think letting Hefner at it would be a good move. This could also apply to Familia or Mejia. Let him prove himself and if he is unsuccessful for a bit, call up Wheeler when he's 100% ready.

In the end, I see all three of Familia, Mejia, and Hefner as bullpen pitchers.

vCash
    Mejia.

vCash
    Shawn Marcum if that's a possibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Mejia.
    He looks like a failed prospect to me. It looks like he doesn't know what he is doing out there sometimes. I'd actually keep him in AAA until he shows he deserves a shot. Hefner has done his part already.

vCash
    I've always said Hefner would be a good long man/6th man starter in his career. Kind of like a Miguel Batista.

vCash
    Whoever earns it in the Spring. No candidate presently on the roster is worthy of earlier consideration.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Marcum -> Jurrjens -> Wheeler
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Marcum -> Jurrjens -> Wheeler
    Jurrjens looks no better than Hefner. Marcum is injury prone and will want multiple years.

Wheeler will not start the year in the majors.

vCash
    I think Wheeler and d'Arnaud will be called up at the same time after they work together in Vegas for a bit. Would be awesome if they happen to make their debuts on the same day.

vCash
    I think it's time we see what we have with Meijia in the rotation, for better or worse. Odds are Hefner is gonna make some starts anyway this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    I think it's time we see what we have with Meijia in the rotation, for better or worse. Odds are Hefner is gonna make some starts anyway this year.
    In 55 IP, Mejia has a 1.03 K/BB with a 4.92 FIP.

I think he's best suited for the pen or AAA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    In 55 IP, Mejia has a 1.03 K/BB with a 4.92 FIP.

I think he's best suited for the pen or AAA.
    Come on man, 6 starts over the course of 2 lost seasons, one as a 20 year old who had no business in the MLB and one after coming off TJ surgery. The way this franchise screwed him over he deserves a shot. He has upside, we have nothing to lose, why not take a chance. Hefner is what he is, and like I said he'll get his shot this year as well anyway.
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5+7=DYNASTY!!! View Post
    Come on man, 6 starts over the course of 2 lost seasons, one as a 20 year old who had no business in the MLB and one after coming off TJ surgery. The way this franchise screwed him over he deserves a shot. He has upside, we have nothing to lose, why not take a chance. Hefner is what he is, and like I said he'll get his shot this year as well anyway.
    Do his minor league numbers give you any more confidence?

What is Jeremy Hefner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Do his minor league numbers give you any more confidence?

What is Jeremy Hefner?
    Hefner is a very solid 5 starter, Mejia has the potential to be more than that. My only point is we are in a position to gamble so why not take it. If he sucks Hefner is starting by June and Mejia goes to the pen. Best case scenario Mejia develops into a good 4 and we have even more SP depth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast