Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sepp Blatter rips MLS...

http://articles.philly.com/2012-12-3...ter-penn-state

So this happened over the weekend but he basically bashed the MLS league saying it hasn't done really anything because its not at the top of US sports world. I take the side of the MLS Commissioner on this matter. The MLS is only 15+ yrs old and its going up against 3 or 4 Major League sports. Nowhere else in the world has this problem. The NBA, NFL, and MLB how are you suppose to compete right away against all of these sports that have been around for years and years. He also never been to a game to realize the growth in the sport. We are in the top 10 in attendance in leagues. Now don't get me wrong quite a few teams do not sell out but a lot of teams have a tremendous amount of sport. Seattle had an average attendance of like 45,000ish.

What do you guys think about his comments and whose side would you take in this debate?
    Eastern Illinois Class of 2012'

vCash
    I definitely think the MLS is doing all it can in this tough, tough market.

vCash
    soccer fans are still a small group compared to other sports in the US. the us needs to bring in more international players to gain some popularity.

vCash
    See teams can bring in one or 2 big name players but thats it. If they tried building up Real Madrid type teams like in the old days the league would fold again. Since the interest isn't as great most teams can't make enough money to support the wages. Most owners don't want to spend it either, only LA and NY can because the players want to go their and because of the cities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubfan23 View Post
    See teams can bring in one or 2 big name players but thats it. If they tried building up Real Madrid type teams like in the old days the league would fold again. Since the interest isn't as great most teams can't make enough money to support the wages. Most owners don't want to spend it either, only LA and NY can because the players want to go their and because of the cities.
    reason why blatter said what he said. why can't they bring in promoters like in brazil? they have to start thinking outside the box.

vCash
    I honestly do not think though that getting some stars who are big in Europe would help the MLS. Only Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka people would. I don't think the Pato's, Ozil's, would boost attendance. What do you mean by promoters?

vCash
    I honestly do not think though that getting some stars who are big in Europe would help the MLS. Only Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka people would. I don't think the Pato's, Ozil's, would boost attendance. What do you mean by promoters?
    i meant to put sponsors not promoters. just like santos gets help from sponsors to pay for neymar's salary. what i meant by bringing in more international players is to raise the football quality of the mls.

mls brings players that are already done. they should focus on bringing talent from south america when they are young and fun to watch.

vCash
    I don't get why the MLS has to be "Americanized"... they should have a normal FA and a normal league with subdivisions and clubs like the rest of the world. That's the only way the sport will spread. Allow a village from Iowa to have a team and give them a chance, with hard work and luck and whatever other means, to compete against the big boys. Allow LA and NY to have 50-100 teams like London has. It's not a matter of every single team out there filling their stadium. It surely is important, but the game is far more special than having 15 teams filling out their stadiums. The fun part is battling for promotion and relegation. USA has the luxury of having legit State Championships and follow a system similar to Brazil's. MLS is killing that potential.

I find that the MLS is restricting the spread of the sport with its current set up. Surely, that's the only model of sports the Americans know, but the sport is huge everywhere in the world because of it's "free market" system.

And yes, the aim of the top USA league should be to have the best North, Central and South American talent and try to poach the best Asian talent as well.

And yes, you need sponsors to compete financially as well as expensive TV deals and if the product is good enough it can be sold to almost every country in the world. I've been up many times in my life watching Copa America, Libertadores, Brazilian or Argentinean league games. They've been broadcasted since the late 90s over here. I'm pretty sure if the USA had good teams and a proper league system people would watch, out of curiosity at first. And they might stick. But a huge issue would be lack of rivalries. Nothing beats a River Plate-Boca Juniors game. Or a Fla-Flu game in Brazil. A game between NY and Boston or NY and LA doesn't mean **** to anyone outside the USA and with no football culture it's tough to show the world if there's any actual rivalry there.

vCash
    The promotion and regulation system wont work in the US. There is not enough interest.
    One thing that might work is having european clubs loan out players(from their B squads or reserve teams) to MLS teams. Instead of loaning players out to clubs in europe. This might work and would help the players develop as well( under a different environment too).

Too many what Ifs

vCash
    Yeah promotion/relegation would never work. Teams in the MLS going to a lower league no one would go out and watch those games. The teams that get promoted don't even have big arenas then. I hate that their are to many allocation things or drafts though with the MLS. There should just be transfers and signing of free agents. Teams in the MLS do have sponsors, some have TV deals with local areas or jersey sponsors. But they aren't as big as out in Europe or S. America because the sport isn't as popular. Why give a team that much money if they wouldn't be getting the value of it back.

vCash
    Yeah promotion/relegation would never work. Teams in the MLS going to a lower league no one would go out and watch those games. The teams that get promoted don't even have big arenas then. I hate that their are to many allocation things or drafts though with the MLS. There should just be transfers and signing of free agents. Teams in the MLS do have sponsors, some have TV deals with local areas or jersey sponsors. But they aren't as big as out in Europe or S. America because the sport isn't as popular. Why give a team that much money if they wouldn't be getting the value of it back.
    While it would hurt the bigger teams that get relegated, I think there are many markets that could bring in about as much fan support as many of the MLS teams. Sure there are markets like Seattle and KC that have great support, but many of the MLS stadiums are half full, even if they can hold 20,000. I bet some smaller cities could get 10,000 people to go to a MLS game and it would mean something to them to have a professional team in their city versus cities like New York and Chicago where soccer is an afterthought.

I am not talking about every tiny town having a team, but what are considering secondary cities in the US with populations from 100,000 to 250,000 could easily support an MLS team just as well as New York does with the Red Bulls. I am from Fort Wayne and they love their semi-pro hockey team, getting anywhere from 7,500 to 10,000 people a game, I bet an MLS team would do just as well here. Some of the better MLS cities, only have one or two other pro teams and/or their pro teams are not very successful. Just having a team with a shot at the pros would bring interest to many of these teams and it would end up making the league more interesting along with regional rivalries.

vCash
    You clearly did not understand what I meant, or at least the whole thing. I said copy the Brazilian system.

Brazil has a national championship, 20 teams participate (think it was 24 a few years back, Hoops should explain it perhaps). That's the best 20 teams in the league. Out of these, 4 get relegated each year.

There is the 2nd division with 20 teams too, 4 get promoted of course.

Then we have the State Championships. Well in the USA due to lack of teams (not interest, I'm sure there would be a lot of interest if rules were flexible on who can have a team which should be limitless) it cannot be 50 states + a Canadian league. I think there are 28 or 29 State Championships in Brazil.

In the USA it could easily be divided into tri-state areas or four states per league etc. You could easily get somewhere between 13 and 15 regional leagues while Canadian teams could be playing in a neighboring US regional league.

These are basically regional cups with a two legged knockout game and a one game final. This adds huge excitement as everything is regional and middle or low budget teams can play against top teams and everyone loves an underdog

And of course, there's the Cup competition where everyone may get to play against everyone. A small town team from Wisconsin vs DC United and a low budget team from Anaheim vs NY Red Bulls. And you're telling me there's not going to be any interest?

Only costs would be for travelling. Teams will eventually grow with their youth academies and will be able to attract players as they progress and the game becomes more popular.

The MLS setup is destined to fail if you aim to become an Americas football power in terms of league quality. If you want the league to be a retirement home for Europeans who prefer the USA over South America, then you're all set. Foreigners won't really join a league that is so restricted.

The whole world has seen a huge revolution with free movement and free market due to Bosman and other reasons, they won't go 100 years back in time just to join the MLS. And decent American players will always want to leave.

Relegation system => better competition. If a team knows it can suck and yet still pile on the $ and get to be in the big boys league, they'll just stick around being useless.
    And why on earth restrict the USA's best league to a group of 18 or so football teams when the population is over 300m.

Malta's population: 450,000
    Malta's registered football clubs: Slightly over 70

Football teams don't need to be professional. Semi-professional or amateur teams should be able to face professional teams in the Cup or the State championship. It's what makes the game great.

vCash
    Fist off kinda hard cause I'm without a computer right now so it's not that easy.

MLS is 17 years old. That's incredibly small. And he league has grown and continues to grow a lot. Thinking a league will grow within that time and be anywhere close to a final product is just dumb. Especially when there is 4 other bigger leagues in USA.

NYK,
    There is the NASL and the USL. There other leuges, there aren't just 19 professional teams here. There are cup competitions where last year the Red Bulls played and actually lost to a smaller team in Harrisburg. Eric Wynalda actually made a memorable run last year with Cal FC. There are completions.

To the point of relegation, the commissioner has said he plans to go to it at some point, though I don't know how sincere he is. But again the MLS is 17 years old. One of the things helping attendance, growth, and players coming over is the building of soccer specific stadiums. Teams are just building and they cost in the 100s of Milliions of dollars. In any league when you get relegated you are going to lose money. It's not that fair for a team to spend that on a arena then be relegated in a year. Plus it won't encourage others to build them.

To the 3rd with rivalries , there are some and they are growing too. You have some big ones and more and more traveling fans. But USA is obviously huge. It's not an hour and a 10 dollar train ride. It's 100+ and a couple hour plan ride to most places. Places that are bus or train rides you are seeing better supporters which in return creates better rivalries.

vCash
    There already are semi pro clubs in the USA. Also some players would go play in college( dont know what NCAA has to say about the players playing in semi pro teams). soccer clubs in usa

Too many what Ifs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hizpcstr View Post
    There already are semi pro clubs in the USA. Also some players would go play in college( dont know what NCAA has to say about the players playing in semi pro teams). soccer clubs in usa
    they wouldnt allow it. they would get congress involved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast