Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Apparently, Theo wants a decent prospect in return...

Is he nuts!
    Betances?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDN90 View Post
    One) There is more to a player than batting average, but we'll continue that theme.

Two) Soriano is a career .273 hitter. Not amazing, but solid.

Three) Martin hit .211 last year. The lowest Soriano has ever hit is .241, during an injury shortened season.

Four) Russell Martin hasn't had an OPS+ higher than 95 since 2008. Flip side, Soriano has only had an OPS+ lower than 100 once since 2002, which was in that same injury shortened year he hit .241.

Five) Soriano, even at this juncture, is unquestionably a better hitter than Martin.
    The difference being that we have semi viable OF options at this juncture. Our starting catcher is Cervelli? Comparing hitting abilities of corner OFers to catchers doesn't seem fair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    if you wanted cheap RH power the angels wont expect much for Wells, and will kick in almost all of the money for that contract, he can still play decent defense on the corners and has always been a good club house guy. No one has ever complained about his character.
    The Yankees have enough high character guys. Hopefully they just find a guy that can hit the ball, whether he's an ******* or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    The difference being that we have semi viable OF options at this juncture. Our starting catcher is Cervelli? Comparing hitting abilities of corner OFers to catchers doesn't seem fair.
    I'm not the one who brought it up in the first place.

Regardless, Soriano would be the DH, I would assume. Gardner wont. Granderson wont. I suppose we could let Ichiro DH, but I'd much prefer his defense than Soriano's.

vCash
    I'm not the one who brought it up in the first place.

Regardless, Soriano would be the DH, I would assume. Gardner wont. Granderson wont. I suppose we could let Ichiro DH, but I'd much prefer his defense than Soriano's.
    I'm not arguing that Soriano would be an improvement over whomever at DH. But comparing him to Martin isn't fair. Catcher is generally a defense first position. Corner OFer, generally not. DH, obviously not.

vCash
    Im ambidextrous

vCash
    Soriano can take over at 2nd once Cano gets traded! Brilliant!

vCash
    Who would have thought the yankees would be heading into spring training with cervelli as our starting catcher and matt diaz as the dh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    I'm not arguing that Soriano would be an improvement over whomever at DH. But comparing him to Martin isn't fair. Catcher is generally a defense first position. Corner OFer, generally not. DH, obviously not.
    Im not disagreeing with you, so I guess I don't know why you're trying to stress this point.

Catcher is definitely a defensive first position, but the original post I quoted was slamming Soriano for his offense and comparing it to Martins, when it's very clearly better

vCash
    Yankees must be going defense first at DH too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    That deal would probably look like some fringy prospect going to the Angels with Wells and 40M of Wells' 42M salary coming to the Yankees. As you say, Wells does have a reputation as a good clubhouse guy, but there's not much you can say about his offense that's positive. I suspect he could replicate what Andruw Jones did last year but that's not saying much.
    First of all, if the angels will receive nothing but 2 mill in relief, then what's the point? They may as well keep him, and no their are positive things you can say about his game, in his last full season he hit 25 home runs, and he was on pace to do that again this year before he lost his job, also he has traditionally good splits in the AL East parks, and has had traditionally horrible splits in Anaheim, he hits better in SafeCo and Oakland than he does in Anaheim that's really the problem, is he has never been able to hit in his home park, now i don't think vernon wells will ever be an all-star again, but he could give you something like .240/.290/.420 with 25 home runs from the right side with decent defense from the corners, and i don't think he is worth 1 mill, if he was on the free agent market do you really think he would only get 1 mill? I think something like 4-7 plus some incentives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Yankees must be going defense first at DH too.
    Congratulations, you won post of the day.

vCash
    One) There is more to a player than batting average, but we'll continue that theme.

Two) Soriano is a career .273 hitter. Not amazing, but solid.

Three) Martin hit .211 last year. The lowest Soriano has ever hit is .241, during an injury shortened season.

Four) Russell Martin hasn't had an OPS+ higher than 95 since 2008. Flip side, Soriano has only had an OPS+ lower than 100 once since 2002, which was in that same injury shortened year he hit .241.

Five) Soriano, even at this juncture, is unquestionably a better hitter than Martin.
    Six) Martin was a seriously better defender at Catcher than Soriano is an outfielder (Sori is a liability in the outfield),

Seven) Martin takes walks often on pitches that soriano would chase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Six) Martin was a seriously better defender at Catcher than Soriano is an outfielder (Sori is a liability in the outfield),

Seven) Martin takes walks often on pitches that soriano would chase.
    Eight) No one's arguing that Martin isn't a better defender. In fact, you were the one talking about their hitting, which is the point I argued. I never said anything negative about defense.

Nine) There's a good chance Soriano would be the DH with Ichiro in the OF because of his better defense.

Ten) Soriano (at this point) gets on base as much as Martin would, if not more. He has a career OBP of .323. Martin's the last two years? .324 and .311

vCash
    Soriano is too young for our lineup. Musial I thought would've been a nice fit, but...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast