I find the responses in this thread curious.

Not really knowing much on this subject, I did what i usually do.I researched it from a basic point of view(did CFC work?) then from a negative conotation(the truth about CFC) then from a positive assertion(how it worked.)

The overwhelming evidence supports the fact that the program was a HUGE success.
1st, the program was a economic stimulus program.
Any enviormental impact was secondary. Its primary goal was to generate NEW car sales when the industry was struggling.

every major Car manufacturer enjoyed the best sales they saw in several quarters do to the CFC program.Success #1

Now in regards to the idea that these cars went on to be junked,doesnt appear to be true. Most working high mileage cars are sold in bulk to buyers in mexico and in some cases Canada where buyers arent so discerning.
So from an exhaust perspective we simply passed the dirty cars out of country but the direct impact was a significant decrease of Co2 emissions by vehicles currently on the road here.

The purchase of electrical vehicles wasnt a necessary component of the program,in addition, any inroads into the electrical vehicle market which mant Rs seem to want to dissmiss,are done so out of an intentional twisting of the facts.
Electrical car technology is in its infancy.like every other industry, these cars are as ineffecient now as they will ever be.The only way to stimulate further R&D and produce more cost/enviormentaly successful variants is through a robust market of government subsidy.

We already no Rs do not want us picking winners and losers, so subsedies are out, right?
so the selling of the idea electric technolgy has, and always will fail to achieve abetter result is a poropganda effort, to maintain the staus quo, of Fossil fuel dependence that has made so many people rich, and continues to do so.

In addition you need to extrapolate out from the inception date to the average end date of vehicle useage and THEN compound the effect of newer and newer vehicles on the road EVERY time a purchase was accelerated from the program.(if you bought a newer car 5 years ahead of schedule, then your next car would be 5 years ahead of schedule based on averages,that is the only way to try and calculate these things, and that newer car would again have a smaller emission footprint then your previous.)

Third, as we attempt to move away from fossil fuels, there becomes more market incentive to improve renewable electricity production.

Currently THERE IS NO LIMITATION TO THE PRODUCTION OF CLEAN ELECTRICITY.

WE CAN PRODUCE ALL THE ELECTRICITY WE NEED AS A NATION THROUGH SOLAR,WIND AND NUCLEAR.
the issue is the antiquated power grid that WAS built through public monies 100 years or so ago.
Now energy is privatized( for the most part )and companies dont spend money upgarding unless their are benefits to THEM. not to the country BUT to them.

There are enough solar powered homes in AZ and CA alone that if our power grid could support cross compatible supply and demand, along with wind turbines and solar farms ,people could "sell" their production back to an exchange and become independent energy supply middlemen,at a profit.

Our antiquated electrical grid wastes through inefficiencies huge amounts of Megawatt hours a day.

I dont understand some of the attempts to destroy important advances in how we generate energy.
The 1% will never support a move away from non renewables until every last drop is gone. That seems like a foolish model for a society, but its an excellent buisness model.