Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Yanks losing fear factor

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...al-on-the-wane

Some people want to make the argument that the Yankees still have a 200 million dollar payroll so they have to be considered contenders. But look at where most of that money is placed. So just out of curiosity, do you think teams are "scared" of the 2013 Yankees.

vCash
    My answer would simply be that other teams have been trying to live up to the Yankee mystique. They've seen that popularity can be won by spending. Hell, if I were the Dodgers FO and I hadn't won anything, especially with Magic Johnson now, I'd spend a **** load of money.

vCash
    Not many teams will fear a team that will be lucky to sniff the playoffs. Unlike the many Homer fans on hear - I call it like it is - good luck fans - enjoy the season!

vCash
    its gone already. people aren't afraid to come to new york anymore
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    its gone already. people aren't afraid to come to new york anymore

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Problem with the Yankees has nothing to do with fear. Look at how old half the team is; that is your problem.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Seriously though. I think the fear of the Yankee Machine evaporated a couple of years before Torre's departure.

vCash
    Fear in baseball?

Ha.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

Tick....tock.....tick....tock...

vCash
    When you don't make trades/signings to improve the starting rotation at every possible opportunity, you become mediocre.

Dan Haren & Cliff Lee sure would look nice in pinstripes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
    When you don't make trades/signings to improve the starting rotation at every possible opportunity, you become mediocre.

Dan Haren & Cliff Lee sure would look nice in pinstripes.
    Lee in all honesty wasn't Cashman's fault.

Haren, however, is a far different story.

And it's a story that repeated itself just this offseason. I guess the very real possibility/probability of losing Kuroda/Pettitte/Hughes/Joba next off season hasn't crossed Brian Cashmans mind yet.

Unless CC, Nova, and Phelps is the long term vision for our rotation going forward.

vCash
    Love me some cliff lee.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

"Wait a second.....did they say they are releasing new names from Biogenesis soon? I think I may have just soiled myself..."

Tick....tock.....tick....tock...

vCash
    all these whiny threads, no team ever feared the yankees, i find that argument dumb, they love facing them because of the competition and how they are such a big media force. has nothing to do with their current team

but every team goes through transition years, this is our time to transition

vCash
    The last time the Yankees were truly feared was the early 2000's.

Since then, parity has really emerged in the sport as small market teams realize they can win by making smart trades and building the farm, though their window may not be as great.

To be quite honest, I don't know that we'll ever see the fear/mystique that was once associated with the Yankees ever again. The game has just changed so much. Last year, the Angels should have been feared with the insane lineup they put together, but they ended up not even making the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    all these whiny threads, no team ever feared the yankees, i find that argument dumb, they love facing them because of the competition and how they are such a big media force. has nothing to do with their current team

but every team goes through transition years, this is our time to transition
    When you've had the highest payroll for the last decade plus your team shouldn't have to go through transitions. Some actually decent decisions and this team would be set up nicely for this coming year and the future.

This whole transition thing was pretty easily avoidable with some smarter moves in the past couple years.

I know you're fine with transitioning and like the fact that other teams are getting the chance to win championships but that isn't the normal mindset and I don't really see why it should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbilly2134 View Post
    The last time the Yankees were truly feared was the early 2000's.

Since then, parity has really emerged in the sport as small market teams realize they can win by making smart trades and building the farm, though their window may not be as great.

To be quite honest, I don't know that we'll ever see the fear/mystique that was once associated with the Yankees ever again. The game has just changed so much. Last year, the Angels should have been feared with the insane lineup they put together, but they ended up not even making the playoffs.
    I couldn't agree more. The model has changed and small market teams are finding ways to sign their star players until they are 30 with back ended deals and then selling them to large market teams in the final two years to re-stock there farm system.

Unfortunately, the Yankees haven't adjusted their model accordingly. If the Yankees wanted to re-build the "fear factor," they would do it by rebuilding their farm system and then using their financial might to buy an ace pitcher or power hitter when the time was right.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast