Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pablo Prigioni changes his role for the Knicks

you just have to like this guy, no way it can be anything else.

Pablo Prigioni changes his role for the Knicks

Saturday, January 5, 2013

BY STEVE POPPER

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Pablo Prigioni may be new to the NBA, but not to basketball after a lifetime of stardom overseas. But still, he is grounded, a fundamentally sound, unselfish old school point guard.

What he has seen in his basketball life told him that heíd erred Thursday night when he fired a pass to J.R. Smith, cutting along the baseline. Intended to be a lob, it was too fast, too low. Except that nowhere in his basketball life has he encountered anyone like Smith, who grabbed the pass and in one motion swung it over his head, rifling it through for a sensational dunk.

"I like him a lot," Prigioni said. "Doesnít matter how you pass the ball, he will catch it. I donít know how he dunked the ball because I think the pass was too low. But he catch it. He go up. Heís amazing."

The two combined the other way, too, if a bit more earthbound, earlier in the game when Smith weaved through traffic and fed Prigioni cutting along the baseline and the 35-year-old Argentine rookie flipped in a reverse layup. That one, as you might expect, didnít lead any highlight shows.

But Prigioni did his job Thursday, without the flash. He played 27 minutes ó his second highest total of the regular season ó and handed out nine assists with six points and three steals.

Prigioniís job has changed in recent weeks. Itís closer to what he was in the Spanish League, where he was one of the top point guards, and for the Argentine National team, where he teamed with Manu Ginobili and Luis Scola. His fellow countrymen convinced him to finally head to the NBA.

With Raymond Felton sidelined for what is expected to be four to six weeks after fracturing his left pinkie Christmas Day, Prigioni and Jason Kidd are needed to step up. And after empty offensive performances by the pair, Knicks coach Mike Woodson sat them down and told them he needed more.

"I tell him, I know how Raymond plays ó this is not my game," Prigioni said. "I will try to do my best and try to be aggressive and attack the basket. If I can finish I finish. If not I try to pass the ball. Even if I want to I canít do what Raymond does. I only can try to give my best and put all my best for the team."

Prigioni did put up nine shots Thursday against the Spurs, which was one off of his season high. The Knicks know that he will not be the scorer Felton is, but do need him to present the threat.

"With Raymond out, everybody wants me to do something extra and more ó me and Jason," Prigioni said. "We are two point guards that are healthy. So I will try to give my best until Ray comes back, and then when he comes back try to go back to my role on the team and continue trying to do my best in my role. I will try to focus this two or three weeks until Raymond comes back to give all that I have for the team and then come back for my role."
    "He was great," Woodson said after the effort against the Spurs. "He stepped up. I thought Kidd did a great job early in the game getting us off to a good start. And theyíre going to have to continue to play that way. I was able to rest Kidd for a while and let Pablo roll up the minutes, and he did an excellent job running our ballclub."

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    By the way Camby will start tonight against Orlando's twin towers, and big Baby is out still.

Guard matchups will be key their top scorers are all three guards, Nelson scored 32 against the bulls and Reddick can light it up.

I'm not making the GT lol, I seem to lose more than I win...........

Al Iannazzone

27 minutes ago

Amar'e Stoudemire was looking forward to reuniting with Raymond Felton, but he said he's getting comfortable with

Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni and they're building chemistry.

"It’s going to get better and better as we go along this year," Stoudemire said. "Stay tuned. It’s going to be a great, great combination that’s brewing up. The energy around us is awesome. That’s what you want.

"It’s a positive energy and you’ve also got a group of guys that are totally about winning. You want that also. So you’ve got those combinations of positive energy and a group of guys that want to win - success will come."

Felton fractured his fifth right finger and is scheduled to miss another 3-5 weeks.

Now I can't fly my airplane

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    Does Amare give these ****ing interviews while wearing a crystal necklace and wear a got damn dashiki??!!

Why does he always got to be talking about phenomenal energy's and Awesome Dominance, I never Learned Defense........ect, UHHH!!!

First article was cool, second is like, " why can't he be like sheed and say they played hard and we played hard"!!!

Sorry/EndTangent.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Yes lets start dominating the frontcourt. If anything we can be the most versatile team in the league. Able to play many styles. We just got the big frontcourt style down. Chandler, Camby, Melo is a big rebounding frontcourt; that might just take teams that want to play physical with us out of their games.

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Backstabber View Post
    Yes lets start dominating the frontcourt. If anything we can be the most versatile team in the league. Able to play many styles. We just got the big frontcourt style down. Chandler, Camby, Melo is a big rebounding frontcourt; that might just take teams that want to play physical with us out of their games.
    I agree.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    I like Pablo but I have serious doubts about his ability to step up his game if need be. Hes an Ok bench player but his reluctance to shoot an open shot hurts the offense.

We need guys that will let it fly. Its good to be unselfish but hes a little to unselfish.

Why does he always got to be talking about phenomenal energy's and Awesome Dominance, I never Learned Defense........ect, UHHH!!!
    Agreed...hes never going to be dominant again and to say hes never been taught defense is the stupidest thing. I ever heard from a basketball player. Anybody that has ever played BB on any level has been taught defense. Defense is all about desire...he never had the desire to be a great defender.

Total diss towards D'antoni....he helped Amar'e become an all star.
    Last edited by Missing56&33; 01-05-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: misspelling

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    He'll be a solid interior scorer. Maybe not dominate, but will have dominant games. He does give us something we don't have, a prime big coming off the bench.

He will eventually break the starting lineup, because it will be our most effective lineup. I'm not a big Amare fan, but I'm even less of a D'Antoni fan. The longer D'Antoni's career goes on, you understand he's a coach made from Steve Nash, otherwise he never belonged in the league.

I think Amare has a little credibility on this one. Now if Amare just averages 17-18, and focuses on his rebounding and defense; Woody may have just given NYC its first championship team in a generation.

My man Ike got a bad rap

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Backstabber View Post
    He'll be a solid interior scorer. Maybe not dominate, but will have dominant games. He does give us something we don't have, a prime big coming off the bench.

He will eventually break the starting lineup, because it will be our most effective lineup. I'm not a big Amare fan, but I'm even less of a D'Antoni fan. The longer D'Antoni's career goes on, you understand he's a coach made from Steve Nash, otherwise he never belonged in the league.

I think Amare has a little credibility on this one. Now if Amare just averages 17-18, and focuses on his rebounding and defense; Woody may have just given NYC its first championship team in a generation.
    Yessir

He is a great and explosive athlete, even after his surgeries. He just can't do it all the time anymore.
    We need him to put his focus on D, boxing out and getting boards. He needs to play more physical than he ever has. If he does that, averages 12-15 and scores at the right times, we are going to be tough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    I like Pablo but I have serious doubts about his ability to step up his game if need be. Hes an Ok bench player but his reluctance to shoot an open shot hurts the offense.

We need guys that will let it fly. Its good to be unselfish but hes a little to unselfish.
    In that last Spurs game he was much more aggressive and it payed off big time. By far his best game and I think that we will see more of that until Felton comes back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    In that last Spurs game he was much more aggressive and it payed off big time. By far his best game and I think that we will see more of that until Felton comes back.
    well he's played 2 games and obviously he was gonna have a better night than 6 points 1 rebound.

i think amare just needs to let the game slow back down. you know that feeling you get when you talk to a really hot girl? it's kind of out of body and you're not quite as grounded at first, that is what stat is feeling out on the court. it's what rookies feel out there because it is so damn important for them. stat just needs to have a few good games and all his confidence will be back. he has already proven to me that his injury hasn't completely ruined his career and he still has value to this team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDean89 View Post
    well he's played 2 games and obviously he was gonna have a better night than 6 points 1 rebound.

i think amare just needs to let the game slow back down. you know that feeling you get when you talk to a really hot girl? it's kind of out of body and you're not quite as grounded at first, that is what stat is feeling out on the court. it's what rookies feel out there because it is so damn important for them. stat just needs to have a few good games and all his confidence will be back. he has already proven to me that his injury hasn't completely ruined his career and he still has value to this team.
    I was talking about Pablo not Amare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    Does Amare give these ****ing interviews while wearing a crystal necklace and wear a got damn dashiki??!!

First article was cool, second is like, " why can't he be like sheed and say they played hard and we played hard"!!!

Sorry/EndTangent.
    He thinks it makes him sound smart.

If you follow him on twitter he rarely represents anything moe than a ****** trying to sound sophisticated. I rarely don't have the urge to punch him in the face.

I hate him so much in fact, I don't only want him off the Knicks, I want him out of ny.

But at least he educated me about the holy land on his path to proving he was Jewish. xxxxxxx moron...
    Last edited by still a fan; 01-06-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: avoiding word sensor just spell it out

Canelo with the nice 7 punch combination

vCash
    What I love about reading anything that Pablo puts out there is that because he's so humble and so real you get to really experience the emotions that he is going through as the season goes on.

Here's one thing to take in. If he is soooo amazed about how athletic J.R. is can you imagine how things will be once Shumpert comes back? That guy's mind is going to blow up.... LOL

vCash
    nobody gives our scouts the credit for players like him and Copeland and Thomson...... ( which now i wish we had instead of white ).......
    look.i like Pablo and don't get me wrong...but his age shows when he plays too many minutes...his shots and defense suffers a little so we have to watch what were doing with him....
    but there are a lot of other teams out there were he would be a 2nd option at pg so with that said ...he's doin a good job this yr and....
    doing exactly what he was brought here to do... if he scores 6 points or more a game then consider it a gift and probably a lot more wins... our scouts did a good job this yr...