Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Why Play Small Ball When Lakers Are Built for Big Ball?

As everyone knows, the Lakers are built to play an inside out game. Two of the best big men in the league are in the starting 5, with a very respectable big (Hill) coming off the bench. Yet the Lakers don't play inside out and continue to be a perimeter oriented team. It is pathetic how few touches DH12 and Pau get on the block.

When Mike D was racking up wins in his PHX days, that roster was built for small ball. He had a PF playing C (Amare), a small forward with 3 point shooting range playing the 4 spot and a PG that loved to play in transition. Every one of the key players had fresh legs and athleticism.

Nash still loves to play in transition but nobody on the Laker's roster is equipped to run the floor with him like the PHX team of old. DH12 and Pau need to both be on the low block to be effective and the current perimeter play can't spread the floor effectively. A. Jamison, who is one of the best 3 point threats on the roster, doesn't even play anymore.

I just can't figure out if:

A) Mike D often blames the poor team performance on "poor Laker energy". They look like they are playing hard to me. Is he really that dumb?

OR

B) Mike D is just too stubborn to modify or scrap his system to fit the players he currently has?

vCash
    I wish Nash would score in the 1st half of games. The dood is just non-existent and has no impact on the game until the 4th quarter, when he decides to finally shoot the ball.... It's almost like having Fisher out there.
    http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss17/duanevalle/1950Rams2.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlakerfan View Post
    As everyone knows, the Lakers are built to play an inside out game. Two of the best big men in the league are in the starting 5, with a very respectable big (Hill) coming off the bench. Yet the Lakers don't play inside out and continue to be a perimeter oriented team. It is pathetic how few touches DH12 and Pau get on the block.

When Mike D was racking up wins in his PHX days, that roster was built for small ball. He had a PF playing C (Amare), a small forward with 3 point shooting range playing the 4 spot and a PG that loved to play in transition. Every one of the key players had fresh legs and athleticism.

Nash still loves to play in transition but nobody on the Laker's roster is equipped to run the floor with him like the PHX team of old. DH12 and Pau need to both be on the low block to be effective and the current perimeter play can't spread the floor effectively. A. Jamison, who is one of the best 3 point threats on the roster, doesn't even play anymore.

I just can't figure out if:

A) Mike D often blames the poor team performance on "poor Laker energy". They look like they are playing hard to me. Is he really that dumb?

OR

B) Mike D is just too stubborn to modify or scrap his system to fit the players he currently has?
    They don't look like they are playing hard to me. You must be watching a different game. They play hard "in spurts"...usually at the end of the game.

Also, Dwight got tons of touches early in the game and the Lakers got behind early. While playing the 2 big man lineup.

Should they go through Gasol in the post? Yes. If they are going to have Gasol on the team he needs the ball in the post or elbow. Its either that or don't play him.

A big problem with this team though is that everyone needs touches. Kobe, Gasol, Dwight, and Artest all really want and need lots of touches to be effective.

vCash
    I luv Pau but damn man. I hate to say it but for Mike's system to florish, for Dwight to be Dominant, and for the team to start gelling we need a stretch four. Dwight in Orlando when they were good had Hedo and Lewis, two players that dont clog the paint and are a threat from outside. Mike ran complete small ball with Matrix at the four most of the times. My point is if Pau cant do what Stat is willing to do for New York, or like Metta has done and come off the bench for the better of the team, he has to be moved.

Pau needs touches in the post. Well have him come off the bench and run the game threw him with the second unit or when Kobe's in they can run that high pick and roll like the days of old.

If Mike wants to run to start games

Nash
    Meeks
    Kobe
    Jamison
    Howard

Bench dosent have to run. Let them run threw Pau in the post and bang with Metta and Hill for the most part on D.

Duhon
    Morris until Blake returns or he plays better
    Metta
    Pau
    Hill

I still think we have the parts. The team just needs Mike to do whats best for the team, and tell them their rolls regardless how their ego's might get hit. Were wasting one of Kobe's best year. Were wasting a year with Dwight and Nash, but more importantly were wasting a real chance at a ring this year. Come on coach get it together!!!!

vCash
    I miss odom to. We should have got him instead of Jamison. Jamison's only job is to score and sometimes rebound and he cant do that. If we had Odom it didnt matter if he was off or not. He can still push the ball and rebound. He outplayed Pau easy last night. Odom and Pau running the second unit would have done wanders for this team to.

I also miss Barnes cant believe we kept ****ing Ebanks!!!!!!

vCash
    I don't know how many fking times I've said this on these forums. The Lakers are a mother-****ing half court team.

D'Antoni is the most stubborn and blind man I've ever seen, and quite frankly I fking hate him and don't really want to watch any more games after last night if he's still the coach.

vCash
    With the loss of Gasol, Hill and Howard, looks like Mike D can ( i mean has to) finally run the small ball he loves.

vCash
    Small ball = small brain. In D'Antoni's case, anyway.

vCash
    Because Jim Buss is an insecure tool who is threatened by the legacy Phil Jackson left behind and because of that he is trying way to hard to over compensate and in doing so is ****ing everything up. One of these **** ups was hiring the wrong coach for this team. This team is made for half court sets and stupid arrogant Jimmy didn't want Phil so bad that he hired a guy who's strength is young run and gun teams with a prime Nash to lead them.

**** you Jim...your ego is the problem here!!!

vCash
    For this I blame the F/O...This is something that should have been addressed during the coaching search. The number one thing they should have identfied before even looking at who to coach the team is what type of team do I want?

If they wanted to play small ball that's fine....But they should have made the necessary adjustments to the roster before doing so. They knew we were top heavy in bigs before they hired D'Antoni. And they also knew the type of system he runs.

-OR-

Do we work with what we have and select a coach that knows how to maximize an older but still productive line up. While I do not agree with not bringing Phil Jackson back, I can understand why because of his health, how long he may or may not want to coach, etc. But, there were plenty other coaches that could have made it work. Sloan, Shaw, maybe even Kurt Rambis.

So while I do not like D'Antoni, I will not place all of this at his feet. Our F/O knew what they were getting when they hired him.

vCash
    We know, we know...

vCash
    Jim Buss.

vCash
    Where the hell is that horse?

vCash
    Antoni's "Suns" ball, doesn't work for a Kobe system.

Laker's work perfectly with a big man(like Shaq), who can coexsist with Kobe. You get two support guys who are great defenders, and have kobe shoot most the balls, while your "Shaq" does a lot of tip ins, and offensive rebounds. Nash isn't the PG I would have picked for this team. Chris Paul is who you want, or just someone who is a team player.

Gasol is not the same big man and now you don't got Bynum or Odom, or a Derek Fisher. You find someone who can play the roles they did, and you might have a chance. But I think people are right, the one thing you can't replicate was Phil Jackson's coaching.

This quick, fast pace Antoni/Nash ball, where you run and gun is not effective with this team, it works for Houston, but its sloppy street ball that won't win Championships. Especially when you playing with 30+ year olds who don't got young legs.

I think Lakers would be better offer getting a big "young" "cheaper" "effective" 7 footer for Gasol, and figure out the howard situation, get him healthy or scrap him. Then I would smack Antoni and Nash, and tell them this is Showtime, and this is Laker Land, accept it or leave it.
    Then play the kind of ball that won this team championships! Antoni's system at best will get you a Western Conference loss.
    All great things come to an end...even in basketball -Me

vCash
    Can we stop hiring coaches named mike unless it's mike k
    Oggi pensu iu, dumani pensa Diu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast