Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    The first thing he said was no. Sullinger's minutes are currently limited. I don't see the problem.

The first thing Opalmerr said was actually "Unfortunately, no."...

I take that as he is actually in favor of Sully getting more minutes but his fouls are what is hindering his increase in mpg...

Quote Originally Posted by Opalmerr View Post
    Unfortunately, no.

I think eventually Sully will earn more minutes, but he is his own worst enemy right now. The kid cannot stay in the game due to foul trouble. Some of that is due to being a rookie and the referee's not knowing him yet. Some of it is due to over exuberance on his part. He makes a lot of mistakes that lead to him being called for fouls. That's okay. You want him to be aggressive, to make aggressive mistakes much more so than make mistakes of passivity. He displays a very good game IQ in other facets of his play so he will get better at knowing when to give a foul andwhen to preserve fouls. It will come and when it does, his minutes should increase too.
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    The first thing Opalmerr said was actually "Unfortunately, no."...

I take that as he is actually in favor of Sully getting more minutes but his fouls are what is hindering his increase in mpg...
    Ok be a smartass, Opalmer's wording is the least of my problems

SULLY THE BULLY with another impressive game! His physical strength is astounding, he was manhandling Horford at times.

vCash
    This is why i would really hate to trade sully. If he learns how to do this nightly, and he will continue improving, then he could be a very good pro player.

vCash
    During our four game win streak he's averaging 9.3 points and 12.5 rebounds while shooting 50 percent from the field in 26.8 minutes per game.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    During our four game win streak he's averaging 9.3 points and 12.5 rebounds while shooting 50 percent from the field in 26.8 minutes per game.
    Showing my age, reminds me a lot of Unseld who typically had better rebound totals than he did scoring totals. 14 rebs / game and 10.8 pts / game over his career.

Not proclaiming Sulinger to be on par with Unseld. Merely comparing styles of play. Unseld was a 6'7" 245 center in an era of 7'0" back to basket post players. Sullinger is undersized with a throwback game.
    Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI 14m  More
    SI: Statistics suggest Joel Embiid will fully recover from foot surgery. But it could be 9-12 months before he plays http://bit.ly/1qwZuIB

vCash
    "No! We can't play Sully more than 18 minutes! Let's play Bass and Green more!"

lol'ing.

vCash
    i loved sully in college and was ecstatic when we drafted him and is playing as well as i expected. but i kinda think its a good time to trade him, his value is high, hes just now played as many regular season games as he played in a college season so i see the rookie wall, slump coming... and i agree with bags, i think his value in the playoffs and vs playoff caliber teams is way less and his athleticism gets exposed more.

that being said, hes been terrific and still has a ceiling to tap into. can be a really good starter down the road. and love his intangibles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    i loved sully in college and was ecstatic when we drafted him and is playing as well as i expected. but i kinda think its a good time to trade him, his value is high, hes just now played as many regular season games as he played in a college season so i see the rookie wall, slump coming... and i agree with bags, i think his value in the playoffs and vs playoff caliber teams is way less and his athleticism gets exposed more.

that being said, hes been terrific and still has a ceiling to tap into. can be a really good starter down the road. and love his intangibles.
    There's a problem with trading him without getting a quality big back in return. We have no rebounders and I don't see anyone else on our roster capable of pulling down 16 boards in a game.

vCash
    His lack of size is really overrated. Barkley got by as 6'6 PF. Z-Bo and Love are just as unathletic. He won't be a star but I can see him having Boozer numbers, maybe a little less scoring but better defense for sure.

vCash
    During Monday's slugfest with the Knicks, Sullinger earned some stripes with teammates. After producing a fourth-quarter block on Carmelo Anthony, Sullinger won a scramble for the ball only to find himself swarmed by Tyson Chandler. The two wrestled for the ball. Sullinger was unwilling to give it up to the hulking 7-foot Chandler and earned a whistle -- and a Chandler shove -- for his trouble.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers noted how Chandler -- infuriated by the rookie -- proceeded to bark at him on the Boston bench throughout the final frame. Back in teddy bear mode, Sullinger simply laughed at him. It's a careful balance between playing a physical game and not letting emotions overtake him.

That's a lesson he learned on the playground with his older brothers at age 6.

"A little story of mine: One day we went to the park, and it was me and my brothers. I went for a layup, and Julian just pushed me into the pole," Sullinger said. "I started bleeding, so I went running home. I'm crying to my mom, and my mom's like, 'Go see your father.' My father told me, 'Do you want a trophy saying that you're the best player ever, or do you want to go earn that trophy that says you're the best player ever?' And, you know me, I was like, 'Just give it to me.' He was like, 'No, go back out there.' So my mom cleaned me up. She patted me on the back and said, 'Good luck, baby.' And I went back out there, and we started playing again."
    Sully Link

vCash

Does Sullinger Need More Minutes?

Every time this kid hits the floor this kid impresses me.. He currently leads the celtics in +/-. I think he is going to be a Celtic and a good one for a long time.

vCash
    Yeah I like Sully's play. He has been playing better of late. I like his progression, I think few mins could slide his way from Collins, but I feel he is progressing well.

I still want to see what trades/ adds happen before player rotations are set. I think then we will have a better understanding of were his mins should be.

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    The best +/- on the team!

vCash
    Im not sure why people think he's terrible on defense. He has a very high basketball IQ. He will never be a dominating defensive big due to his lack of shot blocking skills(can't jump). But there is far more to defense than that. He's already a better defending in his 1st season than Bass imho. Once he figures out how to not foul out of games he'll be in much better shape.

Should he get more minutes? sure...but a lot of that falls on can he keep himself out of foul trouble. If he can the minutes will come. Doc and his teammates have said over and over again how much they love him and how he does not play like a rookie.

If he stays out of foul trouble, he'll play...other than Garnett what big is realistically blocking him from minutes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gormans Mic View Post
    Im not sure why people think he's terrible on defense. He has a very high basketball IQ. He will never be a dominating defensive big due to his lack of shot blocking skills(can't jump). But there is far more to defense than that. He's already a better defending in his 1st season than Bass imho. Once he figures out how to not foul out of games he'll be in much better shape.

Should he get more minutes? sure...but a lot of that falls on can he keep himself out of foul trouble. If he can the minutes will come. Doc and his teammates have said over and over again how much they love him and how he does not play like a rookie.

If he stays out of foul trouble, he'll play...other than Garnett what big is realistically blocking him from minutes?
    Many of the calls he gets are typical rookie ones which he got away with in college... I said before many of those calls will go out the door next season...

Even though he is foul prone, Doc still sticks with him and doesn't give him quick hooks which should say something...

He had 7 and 6 in 14min the first time around against Houston... Want to see what he does tonight against Morris...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast