Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticsD#1 View Post
    Best of all, Cleveland can take pride in Varejao helping Boston stop Lebron in the ECF. What do all of you think of this idea?
    I think in some twisted way, Dan Gilbert may actually think like that.

I'm just worried about Varejao's health. Hopefully, he just has a case of "this team sucks so why shouldn't I nurse my injury to death".

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Boston is not in need of a starting SF, part of the reason Green has not flourished in Boston, and frankly looks unmotivated by his current role. Based on team needs I can think of a 3 way trade that would work that could potentially help all three teams.

Memphis gets Green, Chris Wilcox, and a 2nd round pick (Boston)
    Boston gets Anderson Varejao and Alonzo Gee
    Cleveland gets Rudy Gay and Brandon Bass

I think this helps all 3 teams. Boston gets some much needed size plus a backup SF. I know most would prefer Cousins so we could have a future, but if you want to win now, and not compromise chemistry, Varejao is the only option. He fits nicely with our style and group of guys.

Memphis is trying to avoid luxury taxes, so this deal would save them money over the next 3 years, plus allow them to add a guy who could come close to replicating Gay's numbers if he was given starter minutes. They also get a quality back up center who likes to play above the rim, because Haddadi sucks.

Cleveland has some pieces and needs time. Rudy seems like a perfect fit for them, he gives them something on both ends of the floor and a running mate for Irving. They also get a very solid backup PF that can help bolster the frontline since they are losing Varejao. Best of all, Cleveland can take pride in Varejao helping Boston stop Lebron in the ECF. What do all of you think of this idea?
    Memphis defiantly needs more in this deal. They take a signif. down grade to Green and pick up a injured back up big in Wilcox? No chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
    Memphis would have to slide substantially yet from their current .625-.667 WP%, wherever they are now, for the thought to even become plausible, first and foremost. Regardless of where they are, w/o looking that up, they're not a .500 club like Boston or the majority of the other clubs they'd be linked to with this currently. Thus, they're NOT going to trade Gay unless they deteriorate.

I just went through their 12-13 schedule on their own website, which doesn't provide their W/L record for the season, but here again, what's clear is that they're above .625, or so. Of interest, however, is that they appear to be playing .500 ball the past 12 games, or so-if THAT continues, the Gay rumors may come to fruition a month from now.

Pierce for Gay makes NO SENSE for either club-PERIOD. Despite his brilliance (At times, others not), Ainge won't trade Paul, unless he himself wants out (Which will be to NY or any # of the CA teams, if he's actually traded this far into his entire tenure having been in Bo-town).

Wishful (And deluded) thinking by the original author here having published this in whichever newspaper, thus, CASE CLOSED.

The Green/Bradley and filler suggestion WOULD make sense, albeit such conditional, again, that Memphis continues to play .500 ball here on out. Under that scenario, they remain in condition and re-enter this spring's play-offs as the 6th-8th seed, perhaps, and so a Rudy Gay trade becomes plausible.

This is NO type of trade for Boston to make right now, though. Gay is averaging about 16-17PPG (Just shy of what Lee did in Houston last season w/ lesser minutes). He's not Boston's long term answer, regardless, thus, despite admitting to the truth by which the stat lines don't always tell the full story (All of us would clearly take Gay over Lee in a heartbeat here).

Boston's only answer for this season is to obtain the Phoenix C, in my personal opinion, and I think that the Suns would pull the trigger on any such realistic deal HERE, given their rebuilding state, if/when things made sense for both clubs. Option two would be Jefferson, clearly.....Cousins and Bynum the third choices, if/when those clubs continue on and/or slide, in each case.

If they're back playing .550-.575 ball by late Jan, I DO NOT DOUBT Danny will trade for one of these four names, w/ the intent of extending long term any of the four he may or may not obtain (At which point the perception of bench depth entering the season will be gone....their replacements to come from any of the vets willing to sign on for the rest of the season).

As much as I like him (In terms of character/heart, likewise), Gay is not the answer here for Boston, regardless. As a free agent someday, YES (Dream come true), but not this season.
    I agree that Gortat is a good option. He is my plan B if Danny cannot land Varejao. I think they are both quality big men that rebound well and play good defense. Only difference being Varejao is a little older and has experience in deep playoff runs. Only thing that Gortat is prob better is not missing time due to injury. Bynum does not interest me at all (way too injury prone), and Cousins is a major head case. No reason a guy @ 22 yrs old that averages close to 20 and 12 should b in trade discussions. I think it would take Bradley to get Cousins, and that is a no for me. Im not willing to trade someone who knows and understands his role, and shows the ability to bolster our defense for a mayb guy who puts up numbers but doesnt have a winners makeup. Not to mention Cousins is NOT a defensive player, he will not help us there. I like players with the right mentality, physical skill is not enough to win in the NBA anymore, you have to be a gamer. Pierce, KG and Rondo all have this quality,and Im done experimenting trying to convert guys into something they are not (a la Jeff Green experiment).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    Memphis defiantly needs more in this deal. They take a signif. down grade to Green and pick up a injured back up big in Wilcox? No chance.
    First off, Wilcox is not injury prone, before the heart surgery he was very durable and still is in my opinion. Second, Green is not a significant downgrade, he just doesnt get minutes and shots to put up numbers like Rudy. He plays backup to Pierce, who never wants to get off the court, and Doc is a players coach for veterans not young players. He only plays young guys out of necessity or injury (Davis and Bradley). I do agree that Memphis could/should get a little more, but it is difficult to do that without adding salary, which I know they do not want to do (its the only reason they are even considering trading Gay). I am open to throwing in next year's first round pick or even giving our 1st and 2014 2nd rounder to Cleveland, so they could give their 1st to Memphis if that entices them. We could also send them either Melo or Joseph in any deal. Im just hesitant to add too much because Boston would already be giving up some youth for basically a 30 yr old center for a 2 year run.

vCash
    I agree that Gortat is a good option. He is my plan B if Danny cannot land Varejao.
    Gortat is better than Varejao.
    I think it would take Bradley to get Cousins, and that is a no for me. Im not willing to trade someone who knows and understands his role, and shows the ability to bolster our defense for a mayb guy who puts up numbers but doesnt have a winners makeup.
    Cousins is better all around than Bradley will ever be.
    Not to mention Cousins is NOT a defensive player, he will not help us there.
    Dead wrong. Cousins is one of the better defenders at his position. Pairing him with KG would be an incredible defensive tandem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    In the past, but definitely not this season. Varejao leading in points, assists, and rebounds by a big margin in each stat.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    I think in some twisted way, Dan Gilbert may actually think like that.

I'm just worried about Varejao's health. Hopefully, he just has a case of "this team sucks so why shouldn't I nurse my injury to death".
    I worry about that a lot with Varejao too. But when I look at this team and think about what it would take to get us over the top, to really give us a shot at banner 18 this year or next, there is no other guy out there imo. It creates great story lines going into the playoffs, and he fits most of our needs...rebounding, interior defense, and constant pesky energy. I think he is the missing piece. Gortat may also fit the bill, but I just like the idea of Cleveland somehow joining forces with us to help get over Lebron for his treachery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    Yup they're getting the raw end... I think their a team which would actually love Terry... They need a scorer off the bench especially to make that playoff push in the wide open west...

First off, Wilcox is not injury prone, before the heart surgery he was very durable and still is in my opinion. Second, Green is not a significant downgrade, he just doesnt get minutes and shots to put up numbers like Rudy. He plays backup to Pierce, who never wants to get off the court, and Doc is a players coach for veterans not young players. He only plays young guys out of necessity or injury (Davis and Bradley). I do agree that Memphis could/should get a little more, but it is difficult to do that without adding salary, which I know they do not want to do (its the only reason they are even considering trading Gay). I am open to throwing in next year's first round pick or even giving our 1st and 2014 2nd rounder to Cleveland, so they could give their 1st to Memphis if that entices them. We could also send them either Melo or Joseph in any deal. Im just hesitant to add too much because Boston would already be giving up some youth for basically a 30 yr old center for a 2 year run.
    I'm a Wilcox fan, but I have to say to put Wilcox and Not Injury Prone in the same statement is verrry far from reality... He hasn't played over 60games since the 08'/09' season... He averages 59 games per year...

With that said there are 49 games left for the C's plus playoffs (hopefully), if Wilcox can give us his career games played average of 59 I'd be happy... Hopefully this finger issue is the big one for the year...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash

Cousins is better all around than Bradley will ever be.

Dead wrong. Cousins is one of the better defenders at his position. Pairing him with KG would be an incredible defensive tandem.
    I think you are confusing defensive ability with being a defensive player. Cousins is by far a much better player than Bradley at this stage in their careers and probably for the history of their careers, especially considering he is a big. That alone gives him more value. However, Cousins is an offensive minded player with very advanced low post moves, he can play defense, but he will never fully commit to it. He is a HEAD case, they have been saying that about this kid since his college days. If we are looking to get a franchise player for the future to pair with Rondo than Cousins is the best option. But if you want to win a championship in the next 2 years before Pierce and KG retire, he is not the guy. KG single-handedly led the Wolves to the playoffs with a very similar skill set to Cousins, and Cousins has not found a way to win in Sac town. Never underestimate mental toughness and it's role in building superstars in the NBA. Just ask Rondo and Pierce, both over-achievers who will finish with great HOF careers (Rondo barring any serious injuries).

vCash
    I think you are confusing defensive ability with being a defensive player. Cousins is by far a much better player than Bradley at this stage in their careers and probably for the history of their careers, especially considering he is a big. That alone gives him more value. However, Cousins is an offensive minded player with very advanced low post moves, he can play defense, but he will never fully commit to it. He is a HEAD case, they have been saying that about this kid since his college days. If we are looking to get a franchise player for the future to pair with Rondo than Cousins is the best option. But if you want to win a championship in the next 2 years before Pierce and KG retire, he is not the guy. KG single-handedly led the Wolves to the playoffs with a very similar skill set to Cousins, and Cousins has not found a way to win in Sac town. Never underestimate mental toughness and it's role in building superstars in the NBA. Just ask Rondo and Pierce, both over-achievers who will finish with great HOF careers (Rondo barring any serious injuries).
    you're comparing cousins with KG at his prime , are you serious ?

vCash
    Still doesn't make sense to me. They nearly beat the Clippers last year and have a great shot at going far in the playoffs this year. Why try to deal one of your key guys now and not in the off season?
    Honestly, I think Ellington is more of a natural scorer on that team then Rudy. If he were traded, I can see Ellington getting a little more burn, and Memphis saving money. I dont think Memphis can trade Gasol, Randolph or Conley. I think that is the core of the team and trading any one of them would change the dynamics of who they are. Rudy can be a solid #2 behind Irving in Cleveland but he will not be the reason a team like Memphis wins a chip.

vCash
    In the past, but definitely not this season. Varejao leading in points, assists, and rebounds by a big margin in each stat.
    Doesn't mean he's a better player.

Gortat is a better player than Varejao. Give Gortat Kyrie Irving every night and tell me how much better he'll look.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun5 View Post
    you're comparing cousins with KG at his prime , are you serious ?
    I said skill set, I didnt say he was the same kind of player as KG. KG was a monster when he came into the league, he was smashing on veterans like it was nothing, but that has more to do with his mentality than anything else. Cousins simply has a very similar skill set and physical ability to be just as dominant if he applied himself. Doesn't have the same tenacity or motor KG has, but he does have the moves and the size. He could play lock down D but he doesnt because he is lazy and a head case, hence y Im not on board with picking him up if it means we have to trade Bradley who works very well within our system.

vCash

Gortat is a better player than Varejao. Give Gortat Kyrie Irving every night and tell me how much better he'll look.
    I agree with both of you in some ways. Gortat has more upside and is a much better shot blocker. If given the opportunity he is a better offensive player than Varejao. But V is a winner, you can see it in the way he plays. He is the guy every fan on the other team wants to punch in the face for taking that charge at the right time. He has better basketball IQ than Gortat and he is smashing him this year stat wise. I think as of today V is a better player and would give us a better shot of winning in the next 2 years. I think Gortat can b very good with us, and if we were looking for long term solutions then he would have to get the nod.

vCash

You've also got to consider the price too. With Varejao putting up career numbers and the fact that he hasn't came out and said that he wants out and Cleveland's hesitance to trade him in the past you would have to think Gortat would be a cheaper option.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast