Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Grizz to make move to get under luxury tax?

Those who subscribe to "The 5 Percent Theory” believe such fringe powers should go for it anyway, since very few teams each season even reach 5 percent territory. But the Grizzlies are about $4 million over the luxury tax, staring at a very expensive four-man core that, if left intact, could take Memphis over the tax line in this season and the following two. Three straight tax seasons wouldn’t trigger the dreaded repeater tax penalties, but that path would hamstring Memphis’ roster-building flexibility during those three years and could put the repeater penalties in play if the Grizz cross the tax later.

All of this explains why Memphis, over the last few weeks, has made it known in preliminary talks with other teams that Rudy Gay could be available via trade, according to sources around the league. Memphis also has a brand-new ownership and a revamped front office; John Hollinger and Jason Levien are in, longtime personnel gurus the Barones are out, and Chris Wallace’s current level of power as holdover GM is unclear. They can also cite their exciting 2011 playoff run without Gay, though that run involved a superhuman performance from Zach Randolph, a very good matchup in San Antonio, and a much deeper wing core with actual shooters.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...e-will-he-land

I saw this coming. OKC traded Harden for the sole purpose of avoiding having to pay the luxury tax for years to come.

With the new CBA, there's just no way around it - small market teams cannot be over the luxury tax threshold.

Personally, I think a Gay for Monta Ellis swap would be incredibly beneficial to us, both financially and on the court. We'd get under the tax and the pure scoring guard that we desperately need.

Just my two cents.

vCash
    Gallo??Iggy??

vCash
    Id love for Detroit to get him.

To bad you guys are actually contending

vCash
    I really don't want to go over the cap either. Gay seems to be the odd one out. Would love a knockdown shooter thats around Gay's size.

Grizz: Titans: UK BBall: APSU BBall:
    - MJ-BULLS

vCash
    Damn. I'd hate to face Rudy in another jersey
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

HERE'S TO THE 2014-2015 SEASON !! GO GRIZZ !!!

vCash
    Me too Mzgrizz but it does drive me crazy how Rudy always tries to isolate when we got a good thing going with z-bo and marc. If we can get two great players back for him, i'll be thrilled

- MJ-BULLS

vCash
    would you guys be down for either of these trades?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aelm4ln
    -saves you about 8mil

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=avdo2u5
    -saves you about 13mil (at the end of the year)

vCash
    ^ First one's not bad... HELL NO to the second one.

vCash

Grizz to make move to get under luxury tax?

Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton for Rudy Gay and Wayne Ellington? I'm a kings fan so don't be too harsh. I don't want Evans because he doesn't fit here

vCash
    Genius stern.
    Luxury tax what supposedly bout ****ing up the big markets.

Yeah really Ny , Chi and L.a dont care to pay more cause they get more benefit, instead if ****s up the small market teams.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=acxy6rr

A lil random but you guys get a capable scorer and a backup PG u really need.Plus a 1st rd pk from Minnesota.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cvietti23 View Post
    Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton for Rudy Gay and Wayne Ellington? I'm a kings fan so don't be too harsh. I don't want Evans because he doesn't fit here

No thanks. I like Thornton as a shooter/6th man but Evans in no way shape or form fits with our team. We need guys who can spread the floor on the perimiter, not ball dominant slashers.

Quote Originally Posted by bolts4ever View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=acxy6rr

A lil random but you guys get a capable scorer and a backup PG u really need.Plus a 1st rd pk from Minnesota.

We have a solid backup pg in Bayless (injured right now but i dont think its too serious) and a rookie prospect in Wroten. I like Matthews but it does not adress our need at sf once rudy leaves

- MJ-BULLS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrfadeawayJB View Post
    No thanks. I like Thornton as a shooter/6th man but Evans in no way shape or form fits with our team. We need guys who can spread the floor on the perimiter, not ball dominant slashers.

We have a solid backup pg in Bayless (injured right now but i dont think its too serious) and a rookie prospect in Wroten. I like Matthews but it does not adress our need at sf once rudy leaves
    Agree with you. I haven't seen anything that would work. Wonder what FO is thinking???
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mzgrizz View Post
    Agree with you. I haven't seen anything that would work. Wonder what FO is thinking???
    I would love to be a fly on the wall in a front office meeting

- MJ-BULLS

vCash
    Denver-boy posted 2 trades on the NBA forum that I could live with IF we had to trade him. I guess I'll have to get used to that idea, but maybe we can hold on for one last run with this core . I believe Rudy will continue to improve, but like Calkins said today in the CA, sometimes he lacks "a sense of where you are". I've seen him do this in games where he looks to be off somewhere in his head and not paying attention to the game. Done this for years. Maybe if some team can figure how to change this behavior, he will rise to the level that everyone expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast