Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Rules Questions

vCash

Rules Questions

I like to consider myself a pretty knowledgeable football fan, but there are a few things I'm unsure about in terms of the rules. I'd like this thread to be a place where anyone that is unsure of a rule or rules can get help from the community. Here are mine.

1. In a recent college bowl game, I saw an extra point get blocked. The defender recovered the ball in the field of play, but back pedaled into the end-zone and was tackled. The play resulted in a "1-point safety". I know that extra points are not returnable in the NFL, but if a player were stupid enough to do the same thing(e.g. Leon Lett), what would the result of the play be?
    1a. What if a team blocks a PAT, and as the ball is on the ground, they knock it out of the back of their own end zone?

2. I remember a game from a couple of years back where there was something called (I might be wrong here) a free kick field goal. It happened when one team scored and there were only a few seconds left in the half.
    On the ensuing kickoff, I believe the receiving team called a fair catch, and at that point were able to line up for this weird field goal. Is anyone familiar with the rules surrounding this?

3. If a team punts, one of their gunners is allowed to leap into the endzone and bat the ball back into the field of play to be downed. This is only legal if the leaping player does not touch the ground while in contact with the ball. Now allow me to present you with a scenario.

Team A punts directionally, towards the sideline. Team B's returner, assuming the ball will go out of bounds, moves out of the way. In reality, the trajectory of the ball is such that it will actually bounce a couple of yards in bounds and go out of bounds at the 25 or so. Could a gunner from team A leap into the air in similar fashion, and bat the ball forwards so that it can be downed closer to the goal line? The only thing I can think of that would stop this is a rule stating that this type of "forward bat" is not allowed by the kicking team, but a "backwards bat" is.

4. If a QB throws a pass that is deflected back into his hands, by rule he is not allowed to throw another forward pass. What if, after a QB had the ball deflected back into their hands they had the ball knocked out of their hands by a defender? If the QB was somehow able to recover his own fumble, could he attempt another forward pass?

5. The new overtime rules afford both teams an opportunity to score before the game is over, unless one team scored a TD. Team A is driving the ball, and team B intercepts a pass from team A's quarterback. While the defender from team B is returning the interception, a player from team A forces the intercepting defender to fumble. Team A recovers the fumble and returns it for a TD. Did that interception return count as team B's "posession" meaning that team A wins the game?

5a. Can someone tell me how safety's work in the OT period?

That's all I have for now. Have at it!

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ttemptt View Post
    Very productive. Thank you for your wonderful feedback. The community has been enlightened by your brilliance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGiantLeap View Post
    I like to consider myself a pretty knowledgeable football fan, but there are a few things I'm unsure about in terms of the rules. I'd like this thread to be a place where anyone that is unsure of a rule or rules can get help from the community. Here are mine.

1. In a recent college bowl game, I saw an extra point get blocked. The defender recovered the ball in the field of play, but back pedaled into the end-zone and was tackled. The play resulted in a "1-point safety". I know that extra points are not returnable in the NFL, but if a player were stupid enough to do the same thing(e.g. Leon Lett), what would the result of the play be?
    1a. What if a team blocks a PAT, and as the ball is on the ground, they knock it out of the back of their own end zone?

On extra points and 2-point conversion, the defense cannot score in the NFL. If the PAT is blocked, it's blown dead.

2. I remember a game from a couple of years back where there was something called (I might be wrong here) a free kick field goal. It happened when one team scored and there were only a few seconds left in the half.
    On the ensuing kickoff, I believe the receiving team called a fair catch, and at that point were able to line up for this weird field goal. Is anyone familiar with the rules surrounding this?

Nope.

3. If a team punts, one of their gunners is allowed to leap into the endzone and bat the ball back into the field of play to be downed. This is only legal if the leaping player does not touch the ground while in contact with the ball. Now allow me to present you with a scenario.

Team A punts directionally, towards the sideline. Team B's returner, assuming the ball will go out of bounds, moves out of the way. In reality, the trajectory of the ball is such that it will actually bounce a couple of yards in bounds and go out of bounds at the 25 or so. Could a gunner from team A leap into the air in similar fashion, and bat the ball forwards so that it can be downed closer to the goal line? The only thing I can think of that would stop this is a rule stating that this type of "forward bat" is not allowed by the kicking team, but a "backwards bat" is.

I think I get what you're asking. The refs would just blow it dead if a player on the punting team batted it when it was out of bounds. You can't just hit the ball farther than it was punted.

4. If a QB throws a pass that is deflected back into his hands, by rule he is not allowed to throw another forward pass. What if, after a QB had the ball deflected back into their hands they had the ball knocked out of their hands by a defender? If the QB was somehow able to recover his own fumble, could he attempt another forward pass?

No. Only one forward pass is allowed per play.

5. The new overtime rules afford both teams an opportunity to score before the game is over, unless one team scored a TD. Team A is driving the ball, and team B intercepts a pass from team A's quarterback. While the defender from team B is returning the interception, a player from team A forces the intercepting defender to fumble. Team A recovers the fumble and returns it for a TD. Did that interception return count as team B's "posession" meaning that team A wins the game?

Touchdowns end the game regardless. But if a defender intercepted, and then fumbled, it would count as a possesion. I know this because when that happens on regular plays, the downs are reset. The other team could then just kick a field goal and win.

I believe safties end the game in the current OT format.

Hopefully I'm right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGiantLeap View Post

It's a dead ball on an extra point. On a FG, the rules appear to have changed. Years ago, I know if you tried to run the ball out and got tackled it was a two point safety. I've seen however, many DB's on an int running around the endzone and when tackled it was just a touch back.

Dead ball and kickoff b/c nobody actually had posession.

It's a crazy rule which allows a team to attempt a FG like a kickoff. The defense has to line up 10 yards behind the LOS the play after a fair catch.

I believe the ball has to first land back or lateral and then can bounce forward. I don't believe you can direct if forward. I believe it's considered a forward lateral and goes back to where the player orignially touched it. Good one though.

Not after the first attempt at a pass forward. He could if the pass was a lateral. If he tried in the flat, had the ball batted in the air, caught it, then fumbled it, yes, then he could attempt a forward pass. You only get one shot at the forward pass.

Game over

defensive score, game over

That was fun
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 01-05-2013 at 11:38 AM.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.