Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Aaron Hill?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_HlTGzkKeE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    LOL!!! That's Fredball 101, tix sold in Sept = Winning.

No wonder you're happy with what is going on now!

We're 'rebuilding' because the owners can't afford to own the team. They can't even a afford to sign a single major leaguer of any description, not even one!!!
    You must be ****ing kidding me. There's no way you are serious and not trolling us. Then again, it's Mcfly, so I know you're not trolling.

Do you know the definition of competing? It's not the same as winning.

Second off, do you understand the concept of a rebuild? or do you think it's some mythical being like the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus to get people excited for what's to come. Wait, we've (and others) had this discussion before with you, and I already know the answer.

You're the only person on this forum that fails to see what the Mets have been doing. The Mets were in no position to compete. After overpaying FAs to try and extend their window to compete, the Mets finally realized it was time to rebuild for the future. Guess what, the farm has significantly improved and we have extremely promising prospects.

That's not good enough for you is it though? You want them to spend spend spend. On what? I'm all for spending, but there isn't much worth spending on. Stop gaps aren't worth the money when you have to overpay for them. You keep bringing up contracts that have expired or have been deferred, such as Jason Bay. We should spend because of that? Why? So we can overpay for more players that amount to nothing? Have you not learned that you spend money when you have the opportunity to sign a quality player to a reasonable contract, not to overpay a Oliver Perez or Jason Bay?

I hate the Wilpons just like most other Mets fans, but just because they're horrible at owning a team does not mean that they are making the right moves. Sandy Alderson has done a great job for the position he is in. For once, make a post without your completely biased and negative point of view.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    You must be ****ing kidding me. There's no way you are serious and not trolling us. Then again, it's Mcfly, so I know you're not trolling.

Second off, do you understand the concept of a rebuild? or do you think it's some mythical being like the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus to get people excited for what's to come. Wait, we've (and others) had this discussion before with you, and I already know the answer.

You're the only person on this forum that fails to see what the Mets have been doing. The Mets were in no position to compete. After overpaying FAs to try and extend their window to compete, the Mets finally realized it was time to rebuild for the future. Guess what, the farm has significantly improved and we have extremely promising prospects.

That's not good enough for you is it though? You want them to spend spend spend. On what? I'm all for spending, but there isn't much worth spending on. Stop gaps aren't worth the money when you have to overpay for them. You keep bringing up contracts that have expired or have been deferred, such as Jason Bay. We should spend because of that? Why? So we can overpay for more players that amount to nothing? Have you not learned that you spend money when you have the opportunity to sign a quality player to a reasonable contract, not to overpay a Oliver Perez or Jason Bay?

I hate the Wilpons just like most other Mets fans, but just because they're horrible at owning a team does not mean that they are making the right moves. Sandy Alderson has done a great job for the position he is in. For once, make a post without your completely biased and negative point of view.
    Amen brother

vCash
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/05/sp...&emc=rss&_r=1&
    The Mets’ owners, who were financially hobbled by Bernard L. Madoff’s immense fraud scheme, now have about $160 million in new money to spend.

The cash infusion, as refreshing to the co-owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz as a World Series-ending home run, comes thanks to their majority ownership of the SNY regional sports network. One benefit of owning a network like SNY is the ability to borrow money against it. SNY’s annual revenue is in the hundreds of millions of dollars because of monthly subscriber fees that keep increasing regardless of team performance.

The resulting stability and financial muscularity of SNY and similar networks make them low risks to banks. Late last month, SNY refinanced $450 million in existing bank loans at lower interest rates and borrowed at least $250 million more. With their 65 percent ownership of SNY, Wilpon and Katz should have walked away with about $162.5 million. The refinancing was first reported Friday by Bloomberg.

So what will the Mets, so restrained about spending on talent the last few years, do with this extra money?

They could repay the still-substantial bank debt on the team, sock away money in anticipation of future financial losses or use it for working capital.

Or, perhaps, they could even dabble in a free-agent market they have studiously avoided this off-season, emerging as the only team not to acquire a single major league free agent since the World Series ended.

In particular, the Mets need legitimate outfielders — even part-time ones — who could bolster what now stands as an unimpressive starting threesome of Lucas Duda, Mike Baxter and Kirk Nieuwenhuis, all left-handed hitters. Two recent pickups — Collin Cowgill and Andrew Brown — hit right-handed and can add some balance to the current outfield options, but both are fringe major leaguers who might not help much at all.

The best free-agent outfielder still available, by far, is Michael Bourn, the 30-year-old, left-handed-hitting center fielder who hit .274 for the Atlanta Braves last season with 42 stolen bases. But Bourn is looking for big money, perhaps as much as $100 million in a multiyear deal, and is represented by the uncompromising Scott Boras, so rule the Mets out.

Then again, Vince Gennaro, a consultant to several major league teams, suggested the Mets should at least think about Bourn, particularly if he remains unsigned as spring training draws closer and his price drops.

“They should give serious consideration to investing in the near-term competitiveness of the team,” Gennaro said of the Mets’ owners.

He added: “The Mets have two issues. One, the prospects for the team, and two, perceptions about the owners’ commitment to winning. They could make a dent in both of those issues by parting with some of this money.”

A more realistic option for the Mets would be to re-sign Scott Hairston, the right-handed-hitting outfielder who slugged 20 home runs for them last season in a platoon role. Hairston was a bargain for the Mets in 2012, making just $1.1 million, and it is believed he is now seeking a two-year deal worth upward of $8 million. That’s not a huge amount of money by major league standards, but it certainly seems to be for the Mets.

Because R. A. Dickey, the 2012 National League Cy Young Award winner, has departed for Toronto, the Mets also need to add some depth to a starting rotation that has talent in Johan Santana, Jon Niese and the rookie Matt Harvey.

The most inexpensive move might be to re-sign Chris Young, the 33-year-old, 6-foot-10-inch right-hander who went 4-9 for the Mets last season with a 4.15 earned run average in his latest comeback from an arm injury.

More enticing options would be two remaining free agents — Kyle Lohse and Joe Saunders — but they, of course, would cost more money.

For now, the Mets have made one significant off-season financial move — signing David Wright to an eight-year, $138-million extension. The refinancing is perhaps equally important, bringing new money to a club that lost $70 million in 2011 and $51 million in 2010. The Mets have not said how much they lost in 2012.
    Cha ching!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    You were Magoo'd.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    You were Magoo'd.
    I figured but it just felt weird without the Youtube link..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    You know I meant to say 2008.
    I wasn't going to assume.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    He wears his sunglasses at night
    So he can, so he can.

vCash
    They better just need that 700M for hookers. This affects the team and I'll be pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    They better just need that 700M for hookers. This affects the team and I'll be pissed.
    Que?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Que?
    I have no ****ing clue. I'm just coming down to Earth right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post

You may call choking, competing, I call it choking, chokes that could have been avoided with a little investment in the team at the appropriate juncture.

I completely see what the Mets have been doing, they have been slashing payroll and calling ti a rebuild, the prospects we got back are the natural residue of trading away all your top talent. It could hardly be otherwise, if they had not dropped the ball on Reyes, we'd have got even more prospects.

Call me when these quality players who will play for nice friendly contracts get signed.

I liked the trades, the trouble is the cupboard is completely bare, there's nothing left, the problem is I do not believe they will ever spend enough to fill the holes as they appear to ever make this team a consistent winner. They'e gonna run a decnt, cheap team because that's what they need, meaningfull games in September, sell those tix...winning, it would be nice but we're not going to pay for it.

You think they will. You think the Mets will win consistently under this 'plan'.

We will see who is right I guess.

PS - I don't think the Mets will make the playoffs with SA as GM, would you like to take that bet on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    You may call choking, competing, I call it choking, chokes that could have been avoided with a little investment in the team at the appropriate juncture.

I completely see what the Mets have been doing, they have been slashing payroll and calling ti a rebuild, the prospects we got back are the natural residue of trading away all your top talent. It could hardly be otherwise, if they had not dropped the ball on Reyes, we'd have got even more prospects.

Call me when these quality players who will play for nice friendly contracts get signed.

I liked the trades, the trouble is the cupboard is completely bare, there's nothing left, the problem is I do not believe they will ever spend enough to fill the holes as they appear to ever make this team a consistent winner. They'e gonna run a decnt, cheap team because that's what they need, meaningfull games in September, sell those tix...winning, it would be nice but we're not going to pay for it.

You think they will. You think the Mets will win consistently under this 'plan'.

We will see who is right I guess.

PS - I don't think the Mets will make the playoffs with SA as GM, would you like to take that bet on?
    In order to take up someone on that bet, you'd have to root against your own team...that's kinda sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Why is he any different than the 600 million people that claim that we are going to spend big in 2014? They continue to make one argument, he continues to make a different, more reasonable argument based on the evidence- such as this post.

I don't get how fans can't be MORE fed up over the ownership. Each time I look at the Dodgers it gets me depressed
    Oh GOD, who really believes that?
    I am all for a rebuild and even I do not believe that.

This team will not spend a dime until a stable core is found...and that is not on a time table.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    In order to take up someone on that bet, you'd have to root against your own team...that's kinda sad.
    Not really, I wouldn't root against the Mets to win a forum bet. I;d rather lose.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123