Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

If you were Ted Thompson what would you do?

I realize this is just fantasy, but for fun, I would shake things up, we can't win with mediocre players I would sign, cut, trade, or let go the below players:

FA:
    Would do everything possible to sign CLADY (or JAKE LONG), BYRD, JACKSON & SPENCER, would off balance the cap room by cutting or releasing the following:

1. Let Jennings go (sign & trade would be a miracle), he has lost a step, and in reality is our number four receiver: Cobb, Nelson, Jones, then Jennings. Just look at the amount of times he was targeted vs. catches.

2. Cut or trade if possible the below players:

Hawk, not worth the cash amount, doesn’t create anything, mediocre at best.

Pickett, no I mean NO pass rush ability, we need someone who can occasionally put pressure on the QB.

Woodson, Love him, was great, future HOF, but has lost a step and takes to many risks to compensate for lack of speed. Not worth $10 million cap room. To stop the spread option players have to remain disciplined at all times, just watch how Sanford beat Oregon.

Walden, worst linebacker in pro football, doesn’t stay home or handle assignments, is by far our weakest link on defense.

Zombo: Doesn’t do anything when he does play

Sherrod: He couldn’t play before the injuries, didn’t even make the 46 man roster. Not worth a 1st round pay.

All running backs except Harris, street agents are better than all the rest.

Ross: Sorry that muffed punt return was too much.

Keep Finley for one more year, then draft Colt Lyerla out of Oregon, can play fullback and tight end.
    http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.d...&Q_SEASON=2012

DRAFT:
    Barrett Jones out of Alabama, and the best player available for the other picks.
    http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...barrett00.html

Other notes:
    Would also look for a replacement for TJ Lang (average at best).

Fire: Special Teams coach Slocum, and I really like Capers but time for new philosophies and someone who understands how to stop the spread offense.

Well that took awhile, what do you think?
    Last edited by BornPackerFAN; 01-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.

vCash
    I really don't like getting rid of pickett. If you can find a better end make Pickett backup NT.

vCash
    well saturday and driver are retiring, jarrett bush isnt worth the money he is getting paid to be on special teams... aj hawk makes 10 million and is average at best.. woodson is a HOF player but if he wants another superbowl he needs to take a pay cut, i mean he has donated a lot of money the last couple of years so he obviously is good with money... jennings u can either franchise or let walk.. finley i still believe is going to be traded or released.. he just hasnt done crap since that 3 td game vs chicago last yr... that should save the packers enough money, to resign rodgers, matthews, raji , and possibly someone else to add to our draft picks from this year , and its going to be nice having quarless, sherrod, perry, bishop, and bulaga back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I really don't like getting rid of pickett. If you can find a better end make Pickett backup NT.
    Agree, would be great to keep, just cap room issues

vCash
    Saying that Sherrod should be cut is absurd.

First of all, his salary next year is guaranteed so cutting him would make no sense. And while he was a first round pick, he was picked 32nd so he's not making all that much anyway. 4 years 6.5 million, most of which was already given to him in signing bonus/guarantees is not going to kill their cap next year.

Second, it's completely unfair to say that he couldn't play before the injuries. He played Tackle at Miss St, then the coaching staff decided to try him at guard (which didn't work) during training camp in 2011. In the meantime he fell to 4th on the depth chart behind Clifton, Bulaga and Newhouse. And when he did get some playing time in 2011 he looked good.

Finally it's not his fault that he had a bad leg injury that caused him to miss this season.

You don't give up on your first round picks after two years.

Some other points:
    Pickett is one of the better run defenders this team has, letting him go would create a whole new need. He's not a great pass rusher, but he doesn't play much in the nickel defense. When they come out with 2 D-lineman and 5 DBs, those snaps mostly go to Raji/Neal/Worthy.

Cutting Ross after one mistake when he has shown flashes and this team has spent a decade trying to find a consistent return man? C'mon now.

Also - signing a bunch of free agents is not going to automatically make this team better. But even if it did TT wouldn't do it. The reason why Jennings probably won't be brought back is not because he can't play anymore - he's got plenty left in the tank. But it won't make sense from a cap standpoint. Rodgers will be made the highest paid player in the NFL in a few years and Raji and Matthews will both probably be made one of the highest paid players at their respective positions. Not to mention some other guys that will have to be paid soon: Shields, Neal, Jones, etc.

Guys like Byrd and Spencer, while they might be upgrades, are not elite players and they won't come cheaply. Wasting cap space on them won't be a smart move.

vCash
    Would not get rid of Pickett. He had one of his better seasons this year. Would not get rid of Woodson, would try to restructure his deal. Would not get rid of Sherrod, he's only into his second season. Would not get rid of Ross, yeah he muffed a punt but he's young and has a ton of potential. Every young player fumbles a kickoff or punt return every once in a while. He's been great since activated and you want to throw him out because of one mistake?

vCash
    C-Wood needs to take a pay cut or we should cut him.
    We can bring back Walden for cheap, he's not the best OLB in the world but he's like one of our best pass rushers sadly.
    I'd keep Pickett, idk how much he makes, but we need the depth.
    Keep:Jeremy Ross, Derek Sherrod, Alex Green and Dajuan Harris.
    I think Jermicheal will stay a Packer, he will be re-signed at some point either during next season or after.
    Last edited by XJW18; 01-15-2013 at 02:08 PM.

[Packers/Lakers Lover]

"If Rodgers were even just simply as good as Brady or Manning in the playoffs, his team would almost never win. Instead, what we've seen is a super hero act."
    -Peter Bukowski

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmohr107 View Post
    Saying that Sherrod should be cut is absurd.

First of all, his salary next year is guaranteed so cutting him would make no sense. And while he was a first round pick, he was picked 32nd so he's not making all that much anyway. 4 years 6.5 million, most of which was already given to him in signing bonus/guarantees is not going to kill their cap next year.

Second, it's completely unfair to say that he couldn't play before the injuries. He played Tackle at Miss St, then the coaching staff decided to try him at guard (which didn't work) during training camp in 2011. In the meantime he fell to 4th on the depth chart behind Clifton, Bulaga and Newhouse. And when he did get some playing time in 2011 he looked good.

Finally it's not his fault that he had a bad leg injury that caused him to miss this season.

You don't give up on your first round picks after two years.

Some other points:
    Pickett is one of the better run defenders this team has, letting him go would create a whole new need. He's not a great pass rusher, but he doesn't play much in the nickel defense. When they come out with 2 D-lineman and 5 DBs, those snaps mostly go to Raji/Neal/Worthy.

Cutting Ross after one mistake when he has shown flashes and this team has spent a decade trying to find a consistent return man? C'mon now.

Also - signing a bunch of free agents is not going to automatically make this team better. But even if it did TT wouldn't do it. The reason why Jennings probably won't be brought back is not because he can't play anymore - he's got plenty left in the tank. But it won't make sense from a cap standpoint. Rodgers will be made the highest paid player in the NFL in a few years and Raji and Matthews will both probably be made one of the highest paid players at their respective positions. Not to mention some other guys that will have to be paid soon: Shields, Neal, Jones, etc.

Guys like Byrd and Spencer, while they might be upgrades, are not elite players and they won't come cheaply. Wasting cap space on them won't be a smart move.
    Like I said just want to shake things up a bit:

Agree with you on Sherrod (though I don't think he will make it)

Pickett is a good person to have in on run defense as they do.. Cap room was my point

Ross has two mistakes don't forget when the ball when through his hands during the Bears game.

Byrd and Spencer to be honest didn't give it a lot of though, was really replying to another post and thought this would be a nice post.

Great points though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XJW18 View Post
    C-Wood needs to take a pay cut or we should cut him.
    We can bring back Walden for cheap, he's not the best OLB in the world but he's like one of our best pass rushers sadly.
    I'd keep Pickett, idk how much he makes, but we need the depth.
    Keep:Jeremy Ross, Derek Sherrod, Alex Green and Dajuan Harris.
    I think Jermicheal will stay a Packer, he will be re-signed at some point either during next season or after.
    :Claps: Thank You!
    I said lets bring him back and got ripped a new one for it. I said bring him back, maybe not in a starters role (Perry Will Be Back) but bring him back for Depth. He will come cheap after his bad year, i just dont see why we wouldnt bring him back.
    The Quest For Lombardi
    Bringin' It Back Home

Where It All Began

vCash
    Excellent points...Ross has two mistakes, more angery at him now, but agree with you, would let him try out in pre season to see if he can catch.

Agree on Pickett and would restructure Woodson if possible.

See how good I would be if I was Ted Thompson, would listen to you guys and the team would be undefeated

But I would never have Walden back ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi~TwnHawksFan View Post
    :Claps: Thank You!
    I said lets bring him back and got ripped a new one for it. I said bring him back, maybe not in a starters role (Perry Will Be Back) but bring him back for Depth. He will come cheap after his bad year, i just dont see why we wouldnt bring him back.

I think we'll bring him back,

Allot of guys like to think the NFL is just like playing Madden, where we can just sign guys and throw them in, or we can just cut a bunch of guys and sign 4 Superstars.

[Packers/Lakers Lover]

"If Rodgers were even just simply as good as Brady or Manning in the playoffs, his team would almost never win. Instead, what we've seen is a super hero act."
    -Peter Bukowski

vCash
    That mistake in the bears game for Ross was a stupid trick play that should never be ran. Also almost every return man muffs a punt. Even Devin Hester has muffed a punt. I say keep Ross because it would be horrible if Cobb got hurt on a punt return and then we are down a reciever.

vCash
    Ross and Walden should be no-brainers in cutting them loose after that game on Saturday. I'd me more inclined to bring Ross back, MM needs to stick with the same KR all year whoever it is, like he said he was going to... until he didn't. As for Walden, if he's at the bottom of the depth chart then yes bring him back, but relying on him for extended snaps and in key situations is a nightmare. Cutting or trading Sherrod, Pickett, Woodson and Hawk is ridiculous, not even worth addressing.

vCash
    Ok, let’s talk serious football for a minute then....Just wanted to shake things for fun..I know it’s not like Madden:

First…Said I would do my best to sign the players…didn’t say I would sign any…. Let’s be honest, a lot of players would rather be in Miami or warm weather than Green Bay.

Second...Woodson...he is a leader and has great presence in the locker room, great person. But he isn't a disciplined player and takes risks that cost the team at this point in his career. To stop a spread offense players have to remain disciplined. Watch Clay Matthews against the 49ers, he got burned on the 20 year touchdown run…after that he adjusted and was containing the edge. Problem was the whole defense has to maintain their gaps.

Third..A.J Hawk also works hard, and is consistent, as a coach you look for guys that are consistent it is easy to come up with a game plan knowing what you will get…..perhaps the coaching staff wants him to play the conservative roll he is playing. We don’t know. Everyone seems to agree with getting rid of Hawk, but he may be doing what he is asked to do… At Ohio State he made things happen, that was his roll.

Pickett: Great run stopper and excellent back up nose tackle wouldn’t get rid of him if it wasn’t for cap room. Age is also a factor.

Walden: Is not a good player.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...dge-defenders/
    Look at the bottom you will find Walden.

Love your opinions though

Ok, back to the post: What would you do if you were Ted Thompson?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BornPackerFAN View Post
    Ok, let’s talk serious football for a minute then....Just wanted to shake things for fun..I know it’s not like Madden:

First…Said I would do my best to sign the players…didn’t say I would sign any…. Let’s be honest, a lot of players would rather be in Miami or warm weather than Green Bay.

Second...Woodson...he is a leader and has great presence in the locker room, great person. But he isn't a disciplined player and takes risks that cost the team at this point in his career. To stop a spread offense players have to remain disciplined. Watch Clay Matthews against the 49ers, he got burned on the 20 year touchdown run…after that he adjusted and was containing the edge. Problem was the whole defense has to maintain their gaps.

Third..A.J Hawk also works hard, and is consistent, as a coach you look for guys that are consistent it is easy to come up with a game plan knowing what you will get…..perhaps the coaching staff wants him to play the conservative roll he is playing. We don’t know. Everyone seems to agree with getting rid of Hawk, but he may be doing what he is asked to do… At Ohio State he made things happen, that was his roll.
    Pickett: Great run stopper and excellent back up nose tackle wouldn’t get rid of him if it wasn’t for cap room. Age is also a factor.

Walden: Is not a good player.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...dge-defenders/
    Look at the bottom you will find Walden.

Love your opinions though

Ok, back to the post: What would you do if you were Ted Thompson?
    I agree with this. I know liking Hawk is not a popular thing around here but he is consistent. He actually improved this year from last as well. The reason why so many are ready to get rid of him is because he was drafted so high and is not an impact player. He's solid and with that you know exactly what your going to get week in and week out. I hope he stays but in the same breath say that he needs to restructure his deal and take a bit of a pay cut. Not worth what they are going to pay him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast