Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash

Obama's Vacation: 7 M Dollars

The cost of Obama's vacation to Hawaii is costing taxpayers 7 M dollars. Total of over 20 M spent on vacation trips to Hawaii by Obama over the last 4 years.

$16.4 trillion – that’s the latest figure for America’s massive national debt. Nearly $6 trillion of this debt was racked up in the first term of the Obama presidency – a 50 percent increase. It is horrifying to imagine what the debt will be when Obama leaves the White House in 2016, unless Congress has the willpower to stand in the way.

Meanwhile, as the world’s superpower is literally drowning in debt, President Obama is basking in the warmth of the beaches of Hawaii, at an exclusive resort way beyond the financial reach of most Americans. The president pays the cost of his own family’s accommodations, but there are a large number of associated costs which are paid from the public purse.

What is the actual cost of Obama’s lavish vacation to the American taxpayer? A staggering $7 million, according to veteran White House reporter Keith Koffler, who wrote in his blog earlier this week:

In a move that is rich in irony, President Obama agreed Tuesday night to sign an emergency deficit reduction bill that does almost nothing to rein in spending and then jetted out to Hawaii to resume his vacation at an extra cost of more than $3 million to taxpayers.

The price tag is in addition to more than $4 million that is already being spent on the Obamas’ Hawaii idyll, bringing the total cost of the excursion to well over $7 million.

The added cost was incurred because by the time the Obamas return from Hawaii – whenever that is – the president will have used Air Force One to travel to Honolulu and back twice.

The White House doesn’t like to publish the costs of presidential vacations, but Koffler has done the sums:

Air Force One is known to cost about $180,000 an hour to fly. Based on an estimated 18 hours roundtrip flying time for the jet between Washington and Honolulu, the travel cost alone of Obama’s decision to return to Hawaii amounts to around $3.24 million. And that doesn’t include the price tag for the massive security operation required to move the president or the cost of the cargo plane that follows Air Force One around.

As Koffler notes, President Obama could easily have saved taxpayers a good deal of money:

The Obamas could have saved taxpayers millions by returning from Hawaii together after Christmas and then resuming their vacation at one of the many ritzy resorts that lie outside of Washington. If the beach is a must, even a trip to Florida would have been far less expensive.

Or they could have simply stayed at the White House or Camp David, each a luxurious government-run installation, billing taxpayers a relative pittance.

According to Koffler, "the total cost to taxpayers of Obama’s vacations to Hawaii since becoming president is likely in excess of $20 million, and possibly much, much more."

The message this sends is one of sheer contempt for the American taxpayer. $7 million may be viewed by the White House as a drop in the ocean compared to the overall size of America’s federal debt, but it is the principle that counts. The vast majority of American people simply couldn’t afford the kind of vacation enjoyed by the US president, not least at a time when 12.2 million Americans are still out of work.

For most of America’s embattled middle class, who, unlike the president have already returned to work, this kind of luxury is simply unimaginable in the current economic climate. And they’ve just been hit hard with a significant rise in their payroll taxes due to the expiration of the Social Security tax break. According to the Tax Policy Center, 77 percent of US households will now be paying more in federal taxes following this week’s fiscal cliff deal.

Barack Obama benefits from a largely deferential liberal press in the United States which rarely questions his opulence in office. It would be unthinkable for the British prime minister to act in the same manner. If David Cameron flew off to Hawaii and billed the British public £5 million for his Christmas vacation, he would be out of a job.

President Obama frequently calls on the American people to make sacrifices, but he is simply unwilling to lead by example and do so himself. In a speech in Virginia back in April 2011, Obama famously declared:

We are going to have to ask everybody to sacrifice. And if we’re asking community colleges to sacrifice, if we’re asking people who are going to see potentially fewer services in their neighborhoods to make a little sacrifice, then we can ask millionaires and billionaires to make a little sacrifice.

The president is elected to serve his country, rather than lord over it, a message which appears to be completely lost on the present White House. The federal government is simply running out of money, and America faces economic ruin unless spending is cut dramatically and the vast entitlements system is reformed. Barack Obama’s Hawaii vacation is merely a symbol of his wider presidency – a culture of impunity and extraordinary arrogance, reckless spending, a striking lack of accountability, and a shameless let them eat cake mentality. America’s middle class deserves to be treated better than this from a president who fails to practice what he preaches.
    Link: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...-middle-class/

He talks about sacrificing and everything like that yet he wastes 7 M dollars paid by the taxpayers to go on a trip to Hawaii.

vCash
    Considering the fact that they are saying that $3.5 million for 2 flights one to and one from Hawaii..

What else do they include? The hourly pay for the workers who were on duty at the hotel they were at?

Seriously if you add up all the arbitrary things that go into anything I'm sure you can get an ignorant amount. But if you're going to ***** about AF1 flying to Hawaii costing 3.5 million........... How much money do they waste flying AF1 everywhere every year?
    How do you say magic in Russian?

Don't forget about the Gustav

vCash
    Those who criticize the cost of Obama’s Christmas vacation don’t want you to know that George W. Bush spent at least $20 million taxpayer dollars just on flights to his ranch in Crawford.
    President Bush spent 32% of his term on vacation. I don't recall hearing about that. Yawn. Doesn't matter from either side to me.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    We allready had a thread about this stupid crap.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I will probably get ripped for it but to me it seems pretty selfish to go on that many vacations knowing it is costing the taxpayers millions of dollars.

vCash
    Thank you crew for the article.
    now every last one of the Rs that have been critical of my ranting against RT media, have a wonderful example of the stupidity and trash that RT news peddles.

Obamas stagerring debt was a continuation of Bushes wars, tax cuts, and fiscal policy, without which our economy would have collapsed.
    about the ONLY spending that wasnt attributed to the failings of the Bushies was the stimulus packages which were less then 1 T., and absolutely neccessary.
    But to read it told in this manner, its no wonder so many peopl go around ripping on O.

He is the best president in the last 100 years easily.
    Im so happy he was reelected, now you guys can cry about him and have no recourse...hes here to stay.

vCash
    There was already a thread about this so I merged it with that one. So I will post this response again:

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The reason they don't pay it is because so much of the cost is associated with being president not with the travel. There are people all over the place who would love to take out the president and so we must protect the president.
    This is nothing more than a partisan issue.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    now every last one of the Rs that have been critical of my ranting against RT media, have a wonderful example of the stupidity and trash that RT news peddles.

Obamas stagerring debt was a continuation of Bushes wars, tax cuts, and fiscal policy, without which our economy would have collapsed.
    about the ONLY spending that wasnt attributed to the failings of the Bushies was the stimulus packages which were less then 1 T., and absolutely neccessary.
    But to read it told in this manner, its no wonder so many peopl go around ripping on O.

Im so happy he was reelected, now you guys can cry about him and have no recourse...hes here to stay.
    I think this is actually an issue that has shown the greatest degree of bipartisanship on this forum. Most of us don't care and realize that everything the President does is expensive.

Best President in 100 years? Easily? He's not even the best Democratic President in the last 100 years. He's average. He's done little to improve the country or the government while not really making either worse, which is a small victory in the circumstances he's been given. Is he really better than FDR and Kennedy?

vCash

WoW..... What exactly has he accomplished to earn that title?

I'm sure that what Obama has done dwarfs the little accomplishments of say Franklin D. Roosevelt....

Saw us through World War II

Saw us through the Great Depression

Created the Tennessee Valley Authority which brought cheaper electricity and jobs to much of the Southeastern United States

Social Security

Created the SEC to regulate wall street and banking

The Fair Labor Standards Act 1938 which brought the country minimum wage, overtime pay and child labor laws.

Just off the top of my head most people would consider FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, Clinton and Woodrow Wilson to be better than Obama in the last 100 years. Most rankings and polls online have Obama in the 15-20 range of US Presidents. That puts him about right in the middle of the pack or slightly above average.
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 01-07-2013 at 12:34 AM.

vCash

When do you come back in here and tell us this was a joke?

vCash
    I understand that it's going to take a lot for a President to go on vacation, and I understand that it must be a very stressful job, but people have to admit there's something wrong about this. I'm not going to freak out about it, but I just can't believe people would defend 20 million of tax payer money going to a vacation for the man that is supposed to be helping fix the economy. If the economy wasn't such an issue, hell... Spend one hundred million on a two day trip to Dubai.

It's not the biggest issue, but I do think there's something a little wrong with it.

vCash
    But how much would it cost for a week at DC? It's expensive to support the infrastructure around a president wherever they are.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    But how much would it cost for a week at DC? It's expensive to support the infrastructure around a president wherever they are.
    Yes please... This quote should end the thread. It's not costing 7 million because he's on vacation. It's costing 7 million because he's the fricking president.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash

ewing

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.cGE

We all(well the ones that work)....that was BEAUTIFUL BMD.
    Now tell me how you didnt mean anything by that,how you were just trying to be specific, you know, in case someone didnt understand....

I have a better question.
    why is it these issues only become crystalized in the minds of Rs when it is the other party?

Bush out vacationed Obama 3 to 1
    Bush increased the debt more then any president in history and MOST of the debt incured under Obama were Bushes wars, Bushes tax cuts, and Bushes failed economic policies requiring stimulus to avert financial disaster.

Bush cut taxes under the premise that they "pay for themselves" and create jobs.Every R agreed and parrotted this talking point.
    8 years latter there were no jobs and huge debt,
    Now Every Republican is saying OBAMAS tax cuts are not paid for and are adding 4 trillion in debt , even as they were voting for it.

Maybe those are better ideas to chew on, rather then trying to galvanize yet another pointless critique on this Administration.

This thread had nothing to do with partisan politics. The OP clearly stated that he was sure the expanse was there when Rep were in office too and offered up that it was likely higher under Bush b/c he took a lot vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Somehow this was never an issue, and to my recollection it was not brought up to be made an "issue" until Obama became president. I don't remember this Marie Antoinette labels and people calculating fuel costs prior. Bear in mind that this is coming from someone with strong opposition to Obama policies.

In my own personal experiences I cannot stand other Republicans bring up Obama's vacations, while for 8 years prior they ignored as 'their guy' shattered the record for most vacations for any president(490 days in 8 years).

I get what you're saying though, BMD. I know you are not like that, and are open-minded...I just cannot criticize the perks that every president in history has been privy to.
    Why not? Maybe you feel like you shouldn't criticize a president for taking advantage of perks that have always been there but you can certainly criticize the peaks themselves if you feel they should exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast