Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why don't presidents pay for their own vacations?

I read a report that after the fiscal cliff Obama jetted back to Hawaii and it cost 7 million. Witnessed other reports on how much it costs the tax payers for when Michelle goes on Vacation. I don't remember the numbers on when Bush went on vacation but I'm sure it's close to the same figure. Bush also took the most vacations in the history of the states frequently going to his ranch in Texas.

Presidents get a salary why aren't they paying for their vacations? Unless i'm mistaken the tax payers pay for their food at the White House as well.

We all (well the ones that work) get a salary but I doubt any of us get our vacations paid for by our employer. Also outside of business lunch and dinners we all most likely pay for food at home and on vacation.

Maybe I don't know exactly how it works, and I understand they need secret service etc and can't possibly afford that (at least not Obama or Bush, maybe Romney could not sure). But going on vacation shouldn't be on someone else's dime.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    I read a report that after the fiscal cliff Obama jetted back to Hawaii and it cost 7 million. Witnessed other reports on how much it costs the tax payers for when Michelle goes on Vacation. I don't remember the numbers on when Bush went on vacation but I'm sure it's close to the same figure. Bush also took the most vacations in the history of the states frequently going to his ranch in Texas.

Presidents get a salary why aren't they paying for their vacations? Unless i'm mistaken the tax payers pay for their food at the White House as well.

We all (well the ones that work) get a salary but I doubt any of us get our vacations paid for by our employer. Also outside of business lunch and dinners we all most likely pay for food at home and on vacation.

Maybe I don't know exactly how it works, and I understand they need secret service etc and can't possibly afford that (at least not Obama or Bush, maybe Romney could not sure). But going on vacation shouldn't be on someone else's dime.

Thoughts?
    I thought of this as well and I am sure they have to rent out a lot more space for security reasons. THe operation of the jet also would annually be pretty expensive for when his wife and daughters want to go somewhere.

Here is a article from 2011.

Following his three-day bus tour to promote his economic agenda -- and not to mention the debt limit rancor in Washington before that -- President Obama is finally getting some rest and relaxation.

On Thursday, he and his family are heading off to Martha's Vineyard, the island off of Massachusetts. They'll be staying at a 28-acre retreat called Blue Heron Farm for about 10 days.

Raw Video: Obama's Martha's Vinyard retreat

There has been criticism of the president's vacation at this time. But how does the number of vacation days the president has spent compare to his predecessors? CBS Radio's Mark Knoller has kept track of presidential vacations for years and supplied the data.

So far, President Obama has taken 61 vacation days after 31 months in office. At this point in their presidencies, George W. Bush had spent 180 days at his ranch where his staff often joined him for meetings. And Ronald Reagan had taken 112 vacation days at his ranch.

Among recent presidents, Bill Clinton took the least time off -- 28 days.

To be fair, a presidential vacation away from the White House is not the same as a vacation for the average person. The president is still in contact with his advisers and on call for any emergency.

Mark Knoller: When presidents go on "vacation," controversy follows
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-20093801.html
    I guess if you are really rich like president Bush you go to your million dollar ranch and if your a poor guy like Obama you really don't have that as an option outside of camp david.
    Last edited by Pacerlive; 01-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.

vCash
    Well first off Bush wasn't uber rich like people though, more so then Obama but nothing like most people thought. But I wasn't trying to lay any blame on either side. All the presidents have taken vacation at the tax payers expense. That's what i'm getting at, not being partisan but more why don't they pay for their own vacations. If one president can afford to go to a more exclusive vacation so be it. People can afford vacations I can't, and I can afford vacations others can't. It's life.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash

Thoughts?
    Because we have to protect our president... we aren't sending him to Hawaii on Delta... Come on. This isn't the cost of his vacation it's the cost of securing the president. What do you think the cost for security for the president is daily at the white house?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Because we have to protect our president... we aren't sending him to Hawaii on Delta... Come on. This isn't the cost of his vacation it's the cost of securing the president. What do you think the cost for security for the president is daily at the white house?
    But shouldn't they incur some of the costs? Or a limit onto vacation spending? Obama has made headlines on the cost when we are simultaneously having arguments and what not over spending limits. Bush had the most vacations in history while racking up plenty of debt on his own.

I know this might sound to some that i'm only complaining because it's Obama but I promise you i'm not. What is to stop someone from being president and just being on vacation racking up the bill on the tax payers? Then when you factor kids like the last 3 presidents have had it goes even higher.

vCash
    But shouldn't they incur some of the costs? Or a limit onto vacation spending? Obama has made headlines on the cost when we are simultaneously having arguments and what not over spending limits. Bush had the most vacations in history while racking up plenty of debt on his own.

I know this might sound to some that i'm only complaining because it's Obama but I promise you i'm not. What is to stop someone from being president and just being on vacation racking up the bill on the tax payers? Then when you factor kids like the last 3 presidents have had it goes even higher.
    I just view it as pay. When the CEO of Netflix makes $4 million a year to destroy shareholder wealth like nobody's business, or Tim Cook gets paid $370 million to make the iPhone a tiny bit bigger and the iPad a tiny bit smaller, I think the president is entitled to a bit more than $400k.
    Last edited by Nymfan87; 01-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I just view it as pay. When the CEO of Netflix makes $4 million a year to destroy shareholder wealth like nobody's business, or Tim Cook gets paid $370 million to make the iPhone a tiny bit bigger and the iPad a tiny bit smaller, I think the president is entitled to a bit more than $400k.
    To counterpoint that though, no one is requiring you to invest in that company. Do I think companies that are public traded need more transparency in compensation yes. Should we change the rules to give shareholders more of a vote instead of voting on board members and what not sure. But no one is requiring me to invest in stock in any company I don't see fit. And there are enough apple fans that fully support everything apple does and love to own the stock.

vCash
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.cGE

We all(well the ones that work)....that was BEAUTIFUL BMD.
    Now tell me how you didnt mean anything by that,how you were just trying to be specific, you know, in case someone didnt understand....

I have a better question.
    why is it these issues only become crystalized in the minds of Rs when it is the other party?

Bush out vacationed Obama 3 to 1
    Bush increased the debt more then any president in history and MOST of the debt incured under Obama were Bushes wars, Bushes tax cuts, and Bushes failed economic policies requiring stimulus to avert financial disaster.

Bush cut taxes under the premise that they "pay for themselves" and create jobs.Every R agreed and parrotted this talking point.
    8 years latter there were no jobs and huge debt,
    Now Every Republican is saying OBAMAS tax cuts are not paid for and are adding 4 trillion in debt , even as they were voting for it.

Maybe those are better ideas to chew on, rather then trying to galvanize yet another pointless critique on this Administration.

vCash

From the mental health side I want him to go on vacation and spend time with his kids. Is it costly? Sure but its about security rather than the place. The jets and security have to be the biggest expense of it all and how much would you really want to gain back. A couple of 100,000 dollars over 4 years? Seems a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

IF you want a secure president and first lady/kids then you have to pay for it plan and simple. The other option is to risk it and that really isn't an option.
    Last edited by Pacerlive; 01-04-2013 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.cGE

We all(well the ones that work)....that was BEAUTIFUL BMD.
    Now tell me how you didnt mean anything by that,how you were just trying to be specific, you know, in case someone didnt understand....

I have a better question.
    why is it these issues only become crystalized in the minds of Rs when it is the other party?

Bush out vacationed Obama 3 to 1
    Bush increased the debt more then any president in history and MOST of the debt incured under Obama were Bushes wars, Bushes tax cuts, and Bushes failed economic policies requiring stimulus to avert financial disaster.

Bush cut taxes under the premise that they "pay for themselves" and create jobs.Every R agreed and parrotted this talking point.
    8 years latter there were no jobs and huge debt,
    Now Every Republican is saying OBAMAS tax cuts are not paid for and are adding 4 trillion in debt , even as they were voting for it.

Maybe those are better ideas to chew on, rather then trying to galvanize yet another pointless critique on this Administration.
    The fact that 75% of PSD posters are in college or younger.

And of course you reiterate the point that I already said about Bush and his all time high vacationing, and somehow then turn it somehow I think it's ok that Bush did it, even though I by no means am blaming this on only Obama.

But hey you go ahead and miss what i'm talking about and think I'm bashing Obama, figured you would because you do that in every thread. And thanks for the link saying Bush had the most vacations in history, since you know I already said that.
    Last edited by behindmydesk; 01-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerlive View Post
    From the mental health side I want him to go on vacation and spend time with his kids. Is it costly? Sure but its about security rather than the place. The jets and security have to be the biggest expense of it all and how much would you really want to gain back. A couple of 100,000 dollars over 4 years? Seems a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

IF you want a secure president and first lady/kids then you have to pay for it plan and simple. The other option is to risk it and that really isn't an option.
    I have 0 problem with them taking vacation. I've openly stood up for Obama and his love of golf, saying it's great that he's doing that because of mental health and to blow off steam and stress. I use golf because I actually engaged in a conversation on here about his golf love and his frequent games. I did chide him a bit about only playing for I think 1 dollar a hole when he played with Boehner saying that's not a real game. (I golf a lot myself and bet on it)

vCash
    Somehow this was never an issue, and to my recollection it was not brought up to be made an "issue" until Obama became president. I don't remember this Marie Antoinette labels and people calculating fuel costs prior. Bear in mind that this is coming from someone with strong opposition to Obama policies.

In my own personal experiences I cannot stand other Republicans bring up Obama's vacations, while for 8 years prior they ignored as 'their guy' shattered the record for most vacations for any president(490 days in 8 years).

I get what you're saying though, BMD. I know you are not like that, and are open-minded...I just cannot criticize the perks that every president in history has been privy to.
    Last edited by The Schmooze; 01-04-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    The fact that 75% of PSD posters are in college or younger.

And of course you reiterate the point that I already said about Bush and his all time high vacationing, and somehow then turn it somehow I think it's ok that Bush did it, even though I by no means am blaming this on only Obama.

But hey you go ahead and miss what i'm talking about and think I'm bashing Obama, figured you would because you do that in every thread. And thanks for the link saying Bush had the most vacations in history, since you know I already said that.
    so then why is it RELEVANT NOW?
    and why is this ALWAYS the case?
    why do people ask silly questions regarding the behaviour of one Administration, while the previous one did the same thing but to the 10th power?
    See, MY point wasnt worrying about Obama bashing, dude can take care of himself, My point was I cant take question like this and the debt level and fiscal responsibility seriously from people who happily and proudly drove the whole damn thing into a ditch.

these are questions better served for the people and party YOU support, that is how the people keep the leaders in line, not the other way around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Somehow this was never an issue, and to my recollection it was not brought up to be made an "issue" until Obama became president. I don't remember this Marie Antoinette labels and people calculating fuel costs prior. Bear in mind that this is coming from someone with strong opposition to Obama policies.

In my own personal experiences I cannot stand other Republicans bring up Obama's vacations, while for 8 years prior they ignored as 'their guy' shattered the record for most vacations for any president(490 days in 8 years).

I get what you're saying though, BMD. I know you are not like that, and are open-minded...I just cannot criticize the perks that every president in history has been privy to.
    Not entirely sure why a lot of things aren't issues till they become one. Doesn't mean they weren't an issue before just not brought up. Sometimes it takes looking at things in a new light to realize we need a fundamental shift going forward. Why did no one really care about how much time off the president had till Bush. Why wasn't gerrymandering an issue on this forum till DB brought it up? Does that mean DB only is mad because republicans are doing it? Why didn't I ask this same question 12 years ago? Well I wasn't on PSD to ask, or it never dawned on me to ask the question. Just because I never asked the question previously doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked when you realize it.

vCash
    I have 0 problem with them taking vacation. I've openly stood up for Obama and his love of golf, saying it's great that he's doing that because of mental health and to blow off steam and stress. I use golf because I actually engaged in a conversation on here about his golf love and his frequent games. I did chide him a bit about only playing for I think 1 dollar a hole when he played with Boehner saying that's not a real game. (I golf a lot myself and bet on it)
    There is the principal of that matter and then there is the real cost. From my point of view if being a ordinary guy going to the tropics for 10 days I would think that would cost on average 10,000 dollars. So suggesting that he pick up the cost really comes down to principal than actually gaining anything back.

ITs fine to bring up the principal of the matter but at the end of the day I wouldn't think twice about trying to regain some average cost of a vacation from the guy.

To me most presidents in all develop countries are under paid because of the past principal of paying for a public servant. That doesn't seem fair either considering the actual work it entails and how many lives their good/bad job affect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast