Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

DeMar DeRozan skipped New Year’s Eve parties to watch videos to improve his play

DeMar DeRozan has now officially shattered every stereotype imaginable of today’s young professional athlete.

New Year’s Eve turns into New Year’s Day and everyone knows the kids are out at the clubs or someone’s house, right?

Practice for that day is long over, there’s not another game for two days, the benevolent dictators who run things around the Raptors schedule a rare mid-afternoon practice on Jan. 1 so that the kids can go out and have their fun.

DeRozan?

He’s a 22-year-old lad, with wealth and fame and notoriety beyond his wildest imagination and surely some A List event is beckoning.

DeRozan?

He’s in bed most of the night. Watching videos. Of himself. Playing basketball. So he can get better.

For real.

“New Year’s? I was watching film that night,” DeRozan said Thursday. “I probably watched film for about two hours. A lot of my mistakes, a lot of my decision-making, a lot of little things like that.”

No, DeMar. We’re talking New Year’s Eve here.

“New Year’s night. Right after they said Happy New Year,” he said. “It was about 1:30 in the morning until about 3 in the morning. I was just laying in bed and watching. I’m just trying to better myself at every part.”

The conversation post-practice got to that point because DeRozan is dead certain that his improved play overall is directly attributable to his improved study habits. He spends countless hours, he says, critiquing himself on a television screen because that’s what the true greats do and it’s finally hit him than if he wants to be elite, he has to emulate those better than him.

“I watch film with the coaches and everything but now I’ve taken it more on myself,” he said. “Just listening to older guys — Kobe watches a lot of film — just from the upper echelon players that do more than the average player does, watching film, watching little detail things. Mentally that helps you and that’s something I didn’t understand my first couple of years.

“I pay attention to all my mistakes and try to learn from them more than anything.”

There can be no questioning DeRozan’s improvement this season. He came to the NBA after just one year at university as a far better athlete than he was a basketball player but he’s worked diligently at his craft. His jump shot is exponentially better than it was in his first three years, his defence still has room to improve (“he’s strong enough and athletic enough to guard any twos or threes in this league, he just has to make sure he stays focused on that end of the floor,” said coach Dwane Casey) and he understands the nuances of the game far better than he did.

Some of it is due to the natural maturation of a young NBA player, a lot of is due to his work ethic.

“I’m more confident in every decision I make on both ends . . . more comfortable and understanding and not questioning none of my opportunities,” he said.

Questions like?

“Whether I should drive or shoot or if I should be aggressive this time,” he said. “I think I’m just reading situations better than I was and understanding what I have to do, not just for myself but for the next person on the team.”

Just growing up.

“It comes with experience and I watch a lot of film,” he said. “Just understanding defences or how they’re going to play me.

“Just little stuff that I never paid attention to before.”
    Everyone was critical of his contract but it looks like he's made a legitimate effort to improve his game and there have been some good results in his production.
    Last edited by CB29; 01-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.

vCash
    Derozan got engaged recently as well if my memory serves me correct. He's been putting in work and it has payed off for him, inking that nice extension. I think we can lay the "overpaid" argument to rest.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    When he gets to the FT line he can be an efficient offensive player. His 3P% has improved this year but still not what you'd want from a starting SG in the NBA, so he must still rely on slashing and his postup game to be a nice offensive weapon. As long as he continues to play within the offense and knock down his wide open 3's he'll be fine.

Nice to see his rebounding numbers up also, we need that outta him.
    Finally,
    A Sig With Class.

Canadian in Carolina. University of South Carolina Beaufort.
    vCash
    what a *****........... lol jkjk like his work ethic <3
    http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/11/NOAH.gif

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!- BEASTMODE

BLUE JAYS

twitter
    https://twitter.com/NicolasONeill_

vCash
    i have a man crush on him<3

vCash
    I was just checking his stats, his stats are actually pretty close to Rudy Gay's right now. That shows a lot of improvement on his part.

vCash

vCash
    He wants to win. He's been clutch late in the shot clock as well

vCash
    good man. sounds like he takes his work seriously and i like that a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    A guy making millions actually taking his job seriously? Go figure..

Loved this kid from the start and always will and someday I hope he becomes a top tier player that stays here and wins the title for us.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    If demar was to become an Allstar I actually don't think he would leave.

vCash
    That's good.

Hopefully it pays off. I actually didn't mind him being resigned because I like him so much. He's been paying off so far.

vCash
    I still cant understand why raps fans hate on him so much. Ive been impressed with his improvement every year

vCash
    Great to hear... Love the work he's put in this year he's been consistent and looks like he wants to take the league over... Glad to see a Raptors player taking time to watch themselves on a tape not sponsored by Primo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Six-8-TheWizard View Post
    I still cant understand why raps fans hate on him so much. Ive been impressed with his improvement every year
    After improving from his rookie to sopohmore season, a lot of people expected him to improve even more from his sophomore to 3rd year. He took a small step back his 3rd year and that's when fans started to hate on him a bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast