Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lions D

vCash
    only re-sign Louis Delmas (3 yrs, 7 mil + 3 mil in health and performance incentives), Houston (4 yrs, 26 mil, 5 mil 1st year, 7 mil last 3), and Durant (3 yrs, 12 mil). Re-sign the major backups, cut KVB, Burleson, and Best, and trade Titus Young. Leaves you with the cap space to sign 2 semi-major guys. I was thinking Michael Johnson DE from the Bengals and Mike Wallace WR from the Steelers. Wallace would be the perfect complement to Megatron. He's fast, can spread the field, and has the size to make the difficult catch. He won't get top dollar because he had an off year, but I could see him getting 6 yrs, 50 mil. Back load the contract, it can be re-negotiated down the road or he could be cut in a few years. Johnson is a cheaper version of Avril, I could see us giving him 5 years, 40 mil. The more important thing will be to find 3-5 starters/contributors via the draft. I'm hoping KC passes on Geno Smith, sources speculate Reid could look to work on Cassel, or make a run at Vick. If they pass maybe we can sucker NYJ to trade up, giving us a 2nd round and 4th round pick to get their new franchise QB. Then you draft:
    1. Milliner 2. a. Vacarro 2. b. Okafor 3. Greene 4. Barner 5. Freeman 6. Wing 7. Rashad White
    Starters are then:
    QB - Stafford
    RB - LeShoure/Barner
    WR - Megatron
    WR - Wallace
    WR - Broyles/Thomas
    TE - Pettigrew/Scheffler
    LT - Backus
    LG - Sims
    C - Raiola
    RG - Peterman
    RT - Reiff
    DE - Johnson/Okafor
    DE - Young/Jackson
    DT - Suh
    DT - Fairley
    OLB - Levy or Durant
    MLB - Tulloch
    OLB - Greene
    CB - Milliner
    CB - Houston
    FS - Delmas
    SS - Vacarro
    K - Hanson
    P - Wing
    PR/KR - Barner
    Detroit Muscle

vCash
    holy crap that is 1 long unreadable WOT
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    holy crap that is 1 long unreadable WOT
    lol it's the truth though! We're most likely going to have to come up with 5-7 new starters on defense from outside what we had on our roster from last year. Best case scenario is we draft 4, sign 2, and can sign 1 guy on offense, imo Mike Wallace or Jake Long.
    Detroit Muscle

vCash
    It may be the truth but no one can read what you posted, including myself. Reformat it to a readable output.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Alright (this is for Ahoda):
    This offseason we're going to have to cut ties with a lot of players.

I expect (and want) to only re-sign a select few players; the standard cheap back-ups, Delmas, Houston, and Durant. I want to back-load their contracts as much as possible, and try and divert as much of it to incentives and bonuses.

In free agency I want to sign: Michael Johnson (DE from the Bengals) and Mike Wallace (WR from the Steelers). Michael Johnson is a cheaper version of Avril, and Wallace would be a great complement to Megatron, at a reduced rate coming off a bad season.

In the draft I want to emphasize defense, and impact players. Since the Lions have SOOOO many holes (like Swiss cheese), it'd be preferred that they find a trade partner (i.e. NYJ) that could offer them multiple picks to move up. So say we trade with the Jets.

We trade our #5 overall pick for their #9 overall pick, and receive their 2nd round, and 4th round picks from the 2013 draft.

We then draft:
    1. Dee Milliner CB Alabama
    2. a. Kenny Vacarro FS Texas
    2. b. Alex Okafor DE Texas
    3. Khaseem Greene OLB Rutgers
    4. Kenjon Barner RB Oregon
    5. Dalton Freeman OC Clemson
    6. Brad Wing P LSU
    7. Anthony Rashad White DT Michigan State

Doing all this, provides us the cap relief we need to turn over our defensive roster, and this draft provides us with a high number of impact players
    Detroit Muscle

vCash
    The Lions opted to retain General Manager Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz after a 4-12 season, but that doesn’t mean the status quo will remain in place across the entire organization.

Schwartz and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham both said that the team is not locked into to any particular defensive scheme and that they would evaluate this year’s results to tweak things to fit the personnel on hand.

“We evaluate every Monday after every single game. Adjustments we need to make, things we need to do better, things that work, things that didn’t work,” Schwartz said. “You also do that on a yearly basis. Part of it is also tied into personnel that you have and you want your schemes to match your personnel. You have a general philosophy, but there’s some flexibility within that philosophy.”

While they didn’t discuss it specifically, Tim Twentyman of the Lions’ website suggests that could mean less of the Wide-9 look that the Lions have featured since Schwartz’s arrival in 2009. The scheme is predicated on creating pressure on opposing quarterbacks, but the Lions saw a drop in sacks in 2012 as they allowed three more points per game than they did in 2011.

We’ll see what changes wind up getting made, but we’d expect to see a fair amount of them in Detroit if Mayhew and Schwartz are going to avoid the axe again this time next year.

Permalink 15 Comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 17 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    The Lions opted to retain General Manager Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz after a 4-12 season, but that doesn’t mean the status quo will remain in place across the entire organization.

Schwartz and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham both said that the team is not locked into to any particular defensive scheme and that they would evaluate this year’s results to tweak things to fit the personnel on hand.

“We evaluate every Monday after every single game. Adjustments we need to make, things we need to do better, things that work, things that didn’t work,” Schwartz said. “You also do that on a yearly basis. Part of it is also tied into personnel that you have and you want your schemes to match your personnel. You have a general philosophy, but there’s some flexibility within that philosophy.”

While they didn’t discuss it specifically, Tim Twentyman of the Lions’ website suggests that could mean less of the Wide-9 look that the Lions have featured since Schwartz’s arrival in 2009. The scheme is predicated on creating pressure on opposing quarterbacks, but the Lions saw a drop in sacks in 2012 as they allowed three more points per game than they did in 2011.

We’ll see what changes wind up getting made, but we’d expect to see a fair amount of them in Detroit if Mayhew and Schwartz are going to avoid the axe again this time next year.

Permalink 15 Comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
    My God what I'd give to have them switch to a 3-4, Use Suh and Fairley at DE, Sammie Lee Hill at DT, Jackson rotating in at DE, drafting Jarvis Jones at one OLB, Willie Young at the other OLB, and Tulloch with either Durant or Levy at MLB. *sigh* only a pipedream
    Detroit Muscle

vCash
    ^No doubt, Gunther is a 3-4 coach, I dont like that gunther isnt getting to use what he is used to coaching because swartz wants the wide 9.. give gunther his D back and see what happens

13 Rec - 247 Yards -2 TD

vCash
    If we were to switch to a 3-4 Defense (which is what I would like). It would look something like this with the current players still under contract. Free agents with be in (parenthesis).

NT-? (SLH & C.WILL)
    DE-Suh/Fairley/Nwagbuo/Mcqueen/KVB (L.JACKSON)
    OLB-?/Whitehead/R.Lewis (AVRIL & W.YOUNG & LEVY)
    MLB-Tulloch/Palmer/T.Lewis (DURANT)
    CB-?/Bentley/Green/Greenwood/Bartell (HOUSTON & LACEY & FLORANCE)
    SS-?/Carey
    FS-?/Wendling (DELMAS & SILVA)

The question marks are obviously where I think we need to either sign FAs or draft to improve.
    Last edited by davids209; 01-13-2013 at 02:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davids209 View Post
    If we were to switch to a 3-4 Defense (which is what I would like). It would look something like this with the current players still under contract. Free agents with be in (parenthesis).

NT-? (SLH & C.WILL)
    DE-Suh/Fairley/Nwagbuo/Mcqueen/KVB (L.JACKSON)
    OLB-?/Whitehead/R.Lewis (AVRIL & W.YOUNG & LEVY)
    MLB-Tulloch/Palmer/T.Lewis (DURANT)
    CB-?/Bentley/Green/Greenwood/Bartell (HOUSTON & LACEY & FLORANCE)
    SS-?/Carey
    FS-?/Wendling (DELMAS & SILVA)

The question marks are obviously where I think we need to either sign FAs or draft to improve.
    Here is what I would like to do
    NT-Sign both SLH & C.WILL. Both will do an excellent job platooning the middle and I don't think they will be expensive.
    DE-Sign L.JACKSON for pretty cheap and he will be the first back up for the 5 technique (DE).
    OLB-1st round, Draft a STUD and resign W.Young for fair price.
    MLB-?-get another one somewhere (resign/FA/draft)???
    CB-Sign Houston (PLEASE!), then potentially draft one in round 2-4 or matheiu in round 5?
    SAFETIES-draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round. Sign another two. Delmas for cheap? SILVA FOR CHEAP and an above average Safety in FA?
    Last edited by davids209; 01-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    According to me.
    After the signings and the draft it would look something like this.

NT-SLH/C.WILL
    DE-Suh/Fairley/L.Jackson/Nwagbuo/Mcqueen/KVB
    OLB-1st round draft choice/W.Young/Whitehead/R.Lewis
    MLB-Tulloch/Palmer/T.Lewis
    CB-Houston/Bentley/Green/Greenwood/Bartell/Matteiu
    SS-3rd round draft choice/Carey
    FS-Another FA/Silva/Wendling

The 2nd and 4th round draft picks, I will give to the offense. OL & Skill player.
    Last edited by davids209; 01-13-2013 at 02:39 PM.

vCash
    or we could just go 3-13 this year and get jadaveon clowney next year 1st over all?
    please forgive me i can't really spell , my grammar is terrible andi tend to jump around alot while writing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkinglionsfan View Post
    or we could just go 3-13 this year and get jadaveon clowney next year 1st over all?
    clown for clowney??? Should I make the posters now or wait a few months?
    Detroit Muscle

vCash
    In realness though, switch to the 3-4, re-sign Jackson, Young, Houston, Delmas, and Durant. Draft Jarvis Jones #1, Matt Elam #2, and Desmond Trufant #3. Then your defense looks like this
    Suh-Hill-Fairley
    Young-Tulloch-Durant-Jones
    Houston-Elam-Delmas-Trufant/Bentley

I can't recall a 3-4 defense ever having so much pass-rush potential from their front 3, Young is a smaller DE, which bodes will for his switch to 3-4 OLB, and Jones is a monster off the edge. Trufant could prove to be solid but has more of the size of a nickel guy. I could live with the CB combo of Houston-Trufant-Bentley though, and Elam is a wrecking ball at safety
    Detroit Muscle

vCash
    I wonder how many other people think it would be a good idea to go to the 3-4? Just moving to that defense already looks better on paper.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast