Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who do you want as the 2013 Colts OC?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bruce Arians

3 37.50%
  • Norv Turner

2 25.00%
  • Tom Moore

2 25.00%
  • Other

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Coaching news (ARIANS GONE - OC SEARCH BEGINS)

Bruce Arians told USA TODAY Sports in November that if he never gets the chance to be an NFL head coach after this season, he's "really cool with it," because he proved he can do it by leading the Indianapolis Colts to a playoff berth in Chuck Pagano's absence.

Arians might not have to worry about being overlooked. Next week, he's expected to get a chance to make his case.

The Chicago Bears have requested permission from the Colts to interview Arians, according to a person informed of the communication between the teams.

NFL GALLERY: Team-by-team MVPs

MORE PHOTOS: Top coaching candidates

The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because neither the Colts nor the Bears have confirmed the request, said the San Diego Chargers are also a likely suitor for Arians. The person said Arians believed he'd be a candidate with the Kansas City Chiefs, though former Eagles head coach Andy Reid is on the verge of being hired there.

Arians cannot interview this week, per league rules, because he and the Colts are preparing for Sunday's playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens. He can interview after that game.

The fact Arians, 60, is even in this situation is amazing because last January, after the Pittsburgh Steelers were knocked out of the playoffs, his contract was not renewed and he made the decision to retire.

That is, until Pagano called him to see if he really had hung up his whistle. Arians, an offensive coordinator with the Steelers and Cleveland Browns and a former head coach at Temple from 1983-88, accepted the job as Indy's offensive coordinator.

Arians went 9-3 during Pagano's leave of absence to get treatment for leukemia and helped Andrew Luck to a solid rookie season. Now, he's a hot candidate for jobs he thought he'd never get a crack to win.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...g-job/1807639/

It's also been reported that San Diego is likely interested in Arians (and Tom Telesco for GM job). I'll post updates in this thread regarding B.A. and any of our coaches/front office folk.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Interesting that he went from the Steelers nudging him into retirement as an OC to having a very good chance at being a head coach next year.

You gotta think he'd be a highly sought after candidate. Not only is one of few guys you'll ever see who was basically a head coach and is available for reasons other than getting fired, but he's a guy who went 9-3 this year. How many of them have ever been available?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    one guy doesn't take you from yearly playoff conteder to the worst team in football

vCash
    I have no doubt he will get a Head Coaching position after the season, he has earned it.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7890510.story
    Bears will meet with Arians about coaching job

The Bears continue to give strong indications they lean toward hiring an offensive-minded head coach.

The latest candidate to emerge on general manager Phil Emery's interview trail was Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, whom the Bears were granted permission to interview next week.

Arians earned national recognition this season for guiding the Colts to a 9-3 record as interim head coach while Chuck Pagano battled leukemia. Arians, 60, also helped rookie quarterback Andrew Luck make a seamless transition to the pros while overseeing the league's 10th-ranked offense at 362.4 yards per game. With Arians' help, the Colts transformed last season's 2-14 mark into an 11-5 wild-card berth Sunday against the Ravens in Baltimore.

Arians previously was the offensive coordinator for the Browns and Steelers. He was instrumental in the development of two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers were 55-25 in the five seasons Arians served as offensive coordinator as he kept the offense up to speed with a feared defense.

"Bruce Arians has impressed with his selflessness. He has been a great personal example of what Chuck Pagano had laid down for the Colts — teamwork, worrying about the guy next to you more than yourself, creating that culture,'' Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said recently. "Bruce has not only been successful in filling in as a head coach and being a head coach in every sense of the word, but also in the way he has carried the torch for Chuck in an incredible way. What a human being he is.''

Arians also overcame his own health scare when he battled prostate cancer in 2007.

While Arians is probably the most familiar name on the Bears' current list, Emery has done due diligence in taking a widespread approach toward the search. He interviewed Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan on Wednesday in Atlanta and also reportedly was scheduled to interview Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael. Emery has an interview scheduled with Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy on Sunday in Denver and is likely to interview Packers offensive coordinator Tom Clements sometime next week.

Former Northern Illinois standout receiver P.J. Fleck was the Bucs' receivers coach this season under Sullivan.

"Monday before I left, I walked into Sully's office and said, 'Really, the Chicago Bears?' And his face was glowing,'' said Fleck, now the head coach at Western Michigan. "He looked at me and said, 'Can you believe it? We're talking about the Chicago Bears.'

"I would say one word that describes Mike Sullivan: Balance. When I think of Mike Sullivan, I take a deep breath. Mike Sullivan settles you down. When you look at his offense, it's balanced. You look at his coaching style and everything is balanced. Everything is centered.''

Sullivan didn't have the luxury of working with a Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, as McCoy and Carmichael did, respectively. Clements gets credit for helping Aaron Rodgers' game reach the next level as quarterbacks coach from 2006-2011.

Packers running back Ryan Grant talked about what makes Clements such a respected coach.

"His knowledge of the game, for one,'' Grant said Thursday. "He understands matchups. He's one of the smartest guys in this game.

"Then, his ability to get the most out of his players. He builds a strong connection that can help guys elevate their games.''

The Bears need to elevate their offense after another dismal showing in 2012. Coach Lovie Smith was fired Monday, in part, because of the offense's ineptitude during his tenure. Under first-time coordinator Mike Tice, the Bears finished the 28th in the league in total offense (310.6 yards per game) and 29th in passing offense (187.4 yards per game).

Although Emery seems to be on the offensive with this search, he did interview Falcons special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong and has a Saturday interview scheduled with Cowboys special-teams coach Joe DeCamillis in Dallas.

I'm worried Chicago may be one of the few teams that could lure him since I don't think he will go somewhere that needs to completely rebuild...have they ever had a high level preforming QB? Arians is a guy that could work with Cutler and possibly get him back to the Cutler that Denver traded after he threw for 4.5k yards and 25 TDs...they already are a playoff level team (even though they aren't in) and a few pieces from a title contending team. I think Arian's offense might be able to finally utilize Hester in a productive manner as well. Great fit for Arians bad news for us...

vCash
    The only thing I hope is if Arians leaves for a HC position, I hope we at least give Tom Moore a call and gauge his interest before going in another direction.

vCash
    Wouldn't mind Norv.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Wouldn't mind Norv.
    I agree, but it just kinda makes me chuckle to see it. I think he is the Offensive version of Wade Phillips, great coordinator bad HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    The only thing I hope is if Arians leaves for a HC position, I hope we at least give Tom Moore a call and gauge his interest before going in another direction.
    I would love to just get Moore in the front office in some capacity. I'm not sure he wants to be a coordinator anywhere, but he has been taking consulting jobs around the league with the Titans and I thought he worked with the Jets last year...maybe it was philly (or was that Mudd?).

I think Moore wants to stay busy but doesn't want a full time job...I would love to see him get a cushy job in the front office as director of offensive player development or something like that we really don't know what he does but at least his name is attached to the Colts and is there if needed.

vCash
    I don't think he'd want to return.. didn't Irsay force him into retirement?

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7890510.story

I'm worried Chicago may be one of the few teams that could lure him since I don't think he will go somewhere that needs to completely rebuild...have they ever had a high level preforming QB? Arians is a guy that could work with Cutler and possibly get him back to the Cutler that Denver traded after he threw for 4.5k yards and 25 TDs...they already are a playoff level team (even though they aren't in) and a few pieces from a title contending team. I think Arian's offense might be able to finally utilize Hester in a productive manner as well. Great fit for Arians bad news for us...
    Jay Cutler is good talent but that would be hard for BA to deal with on a day to day basis. Guy is totally Jeff George 2.0 IMO.

vCash
    I know that he did retire with Mudd, but then they came back as "senior coordinators" or something like that. Irsay actually allowed them to use a loophole that was closing...I think it allowed them to get full pension and retirement benefits while still working or and they were taking it off the table that year.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-04-2013 at 03:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerlive View Post
    Jay Cutler is good talent but that would be hard for BA to deal with on a day to day basis. Guy is totally Jeff George 2.0 IMO.
    Yea I see that, but George did have a couple good years in Oakland and Minnesota towards the end of his career once he got a decent team and some at least above average coaching.

vCash
    I think that was a result of some NFL pension gaffee. I thought he was still consulting for the Titans though and based on that offense I am not sure I would want him back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    I would love to just get Moore in the front office in some capacity. I'm not sure he wants to be a coordinator anywhere, but he has been taking consulting jobs around the league with the Titans and I thought he worked with the Jets last year...maybe it was philly (or was that Mudd?).

I think Moore wants to stay busy but doesn't want a full time job...I would love to see him get a cushy job in the front office as director of offensive player development or something like that we really don't know what he does but at least his name is attached to the Colts and is there if needed.
    I had read a week or so on a couple different legit sites that he wanted to coach again? I would love if he was here in some capacity as he worked wonders with Manning, Harrison, Dilger, Pollard and Edge. He would have new clay to mold in the form of Luck, Wayne(who he already knows and taught), Allen, Fleener, Ballard and TY.

vCash
    If he wants to return, then we'd obviously need to let him return. He spoke very highly of Luck before the draft, so I think he wouldn't mind working with him.

<3

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast