Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    Posts
    16,122
    vCash
    1500

    Jeff Passan's Take On The Mets

    I just read this article on Yahoo! Sports and thought it worthy to pass along.

    I don't always agree with him, but here he is spot-on.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no--28-...XBhZ2U-;_ylv=3

    Thoughts?

    Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964



    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

    ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    15,999
    vCash
    1500
    01. People misunderstand that Alderson's patience is a virtue.

    02. People that objected to or do not understand trading Dickey should review the circumstances under which SA traded 26-year old Rickey Henderson, and then reaquired him five years later.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    I think anyone with any sense can see thru this rebuild for what it is, the residue of turning the Mets into a mid-market at best operation, and secondly that the fatal flaw in the 'plan' as sold spun by Sandy Alderson to a gullible fan base is when push comes to shove and the team needs finishing off, or heaven forbid putting OTT, the money will not be spent.

    Why is a team that is allegedly not spending this year so it can spend next year, moving payroll from this year over to 2014? - That's the exact opposite of clearing the decks for a FA binge. No-one can explain the sense in that to me. If you look at the last few years. the only player they have paid a large contract too, is the only they knew they could not do without from a marketing standpoint, and of course on the field too. Behind virtually every course of action this team takes, is the same motive 'How do we spend less money on baseball today, without losing all credibility?'.

    They're after a cheaper, younger team that can stay competitive for longer and sell tix later into the season, now if that team happens to win - great, if not, well they only budgeted for 80 wins anyway.

    Now the Mets are totally out of trade chips what are they going to do?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I think anyone with any sense can see thru this rebuild for what it is, the residue of turning the Mets into a mid-market at best operation, and secondly that the fatal flaw in the 'plan' as sold spun by Sandy Alderson to a gullible fan base is when push comes to shove and the team needs finishing off, or heaven forbid putting OTT, the money will not be spent.

    Why is a team that is allegedly not spending this year so it can spend next year, moving payroll from this year over to 2014? - That's the exact opposite of clearing the decks for a FA binge. No-one can explain the sense in that to me. If you look at the last few years. the only player they have paid a large contract too, is the only they knew they could not do without from a marketing standpoint, and of course on the field too. Behind virtually every course of action this team takes, is the same motive 'How do we spend less money on baseball today, without losing all credibility?'.

    They're after a cheaper, younger team that can stay competitive for longer and sell tix later into the season, now if that team happens to win - great, if not, well they only budgeted for 80 wins anyway.

    Now the Mets are totally out of trade chips what are they going to do?
    lets relax by saying they're budgeted for 80 wins, that's way too high considering the mets are a much worse team right now than last year and couldnt reach 80
    This is just the beginning. Let's keep it up. History is bound to repeat itself. Let's hope that this time it's for the best.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Santana4Prez'08 View Post
    lets relax by saying they're budgeted for 80 wins, that's way too high considering the mets are a much worse team right now than last year and couldnt reach 80
    Why should I care about what they're budgeted to do?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    4,157
    vCash
    1500

    Marty's right!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Why should I care about what they're budgeted to do?
    This is an organization owned by the Wilpons for a long time which operates in the largest city in america, our debt should be mimimal. In no way should it be limited or scared to spend money. What they should be ashamed of is running it without long range plans from day one.

    SA has put a plan in place to build a sustainable system. He has cut away the non producing garbage in the minors both players, coaches and scouts. He is attempting to fill the minors with potential. Sadly, SA is hampered by the small to medium market budget he's been handed.

    Now i'm not saying go out and dig a hole with FA. Gone are the days we get Pujols for 10 years (thats foolish for anyone) and rightfully so. No we should be able to go out and get us productive backup outfielders and relief pitchers. WE CAN'T EVEN DO THAT with our current budget.
    " You seek Yoda!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    . No we should be able to go out and get us productive backup outfielders and relief pitchers. WE CAN'T EVEN DO THAT with our current budget.


    >>>This is what annoys me, however we have a ton of backup OF'ers, it's starters we need.

    If relief pitchers and an OF starter destroys the future as people are making out then we have no future.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    887
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post

    Now the Mets are totally out of trade chips what are they going to do?
    Bomb seasons to get higher draft picks

    Not thats a good thing, but literally the only other thing I see happening

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    Bomb seasons to get higher draft picks

    Not thats a good thing, but literally the only other thing I see happening

    I'm done with that, I don't like doing is this year, no way I will sanction it again.

    This team next year I want a team that can compete for a WC at least is that too to ask?

    Jesus Christ.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,825
    vCash
    1500
    I think we'll win more than 80 games in 2014 #progress

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    260
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I'm done with that, I don't like doing is this year, no way I will sanction it again.
    OK. See you later. The Yankees fans will love having you on board.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post
    ok. See you later. The yankees fans will love having you on board.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Sentinel Island
    Posts
    5,117
    vCash
    1500
    Some of you really need to lighten the fk up! When Sandy came in, you had no farm system, and a team that was barely able to stay relevant. Not to mention, according to the front office, they were "cash-strapped." And give me a fkin break with your theories on the Mets financial situation. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors, and most of you are not convincing anyone. What did you expect? For Sandy to come in and bring you a title in 2 years? Are you forgetting about the other 29 teams out there of which at least half were in a better position to compete for a title then the Mets?


    The Mets are not rebuilding in 2013. They have been rebuliding since Sandy came on board! Why else would you hire someone like Sandy? Were the A's and Padres that rich financially that he blew money on FA and turned his team into World Champs?

    NO! He is doing what he did with both of those teams.

    He is rebuilding the farm (smart move), waiting until the rest of this money comes off the books after 2013 (smart move), and then, with money freed up, fill out the holes that are left to fill out. I would be shocked if the Mets payroll is not at least 100 million by 2014, 2015 at the latest.

    I love watching the Mets. I love keeping my pops updated on them when he isn't able to watch/read about them.

    But if you, as a Mets fan, were at any point since Sandy came into office expecting a title, or are expecting one in 2013, the only thing you are doing is:

    -Setting yourself up for disappointment

    -Putting more stress on yourself

    -Setting up future plans to come on PSD and b!tch about it some more.

    Just enjoy watching your team develop and who knows, maybe you get a surprise.

    I know I'll enjoy watching them.

    Later Mets fans
    FC Bayern Munchen

    New York Yankees
    78-74



    G: 136 | AVG: .250| HR: 4| RBI: 40| OBP: .299 | SLG: .303 | wOBA: .273 | wRC: 69

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    6,896
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees90. View Post
    Some of you really need to lighten the fk up! When Sandy came in, you had no farm system, and a team that was barely able to stay relevant. Not to mention, according to the front office, they were "cash-strapped." And give me a fkin break with your theories on the Mets financial situation. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors, and most of you are not convincing anyone. What did you expect? For Sandy to come in and bring you a title in 2 years? Are you forgetting about the other 29 teams out there of which at least half were in a better position to compete for a title then the Mets?


    The Mets are not rebuilding in 2013. They have been rebuliding since Sandy came on board! Why else would you hire someone like Sandy? Were the A's and Padres that rich financially that he blew money on FA and turned his team into World Champs?

    NO! He is doing what he did with both of those teams.

    He is rebuilding the farm (smart move), waiting until the rest of this money comes off the books after 2013 (smart move), and then, with money freed up, fill out the holes that are left to fill out. I would be shocked if the Mets payroll is not at least 100 million by 2014, 2015 at the latest.

    I love watching the Mets. I love keeping my pops updated on them when he isn't able to watch/read about them.

    But if you, as a Mets fan, were at any point since Sandy came into office expecting a title, or are expecting one in 2013, the only thing you are doing is:

    -Setting yourself up for disappointment

    -Putting more stress on yourself

    -Setting up future plans to come on PSD and b!tch about it some more.

    Just enjoy watching your team develop and who knows, maybe you get a surprise.

    I know I'll enjoy watching them.

    Later Mets fans
    This man speaketh the truth!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •