Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think Upton's home/away splits and shoulder are enough for me to not want to give up Shark and Baez. I would gladly make Baez the centerpiece and add a player like Vizcaino(+) though.

vCash
    Save Baez for Stanton/Price next offseason. I like Upton but he's had two damn good seasons coupled with two pretty meh seasons. If I'm trading away our stud prospects I'd rather find someone that is more consistent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I think Upton's home/away splits and shoulder are enough for me to not want to give up Shark and Baez. I would gladly make Baez the centerpiece and add a player like Vizcaino(+) though.
    We are discussing Shark and Lake though, which changes the argument dramatically, of course. I do think we need to save Baez if weve got any shot at an Ace via trade (though he would be out the door for Stanton, haha).

vCash
    I have not seen TY or Marlin in a while unless I'm missing it. Any new rumors?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Yes, the Diamondbacks could use another pitcher.
    Kennedy
    Cahill
    McCarthy
    Hudson
    Skaggs
    Corbin

Do they really need another pitcher, though?

Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001
    How has Upton fallen this far in people's eyes? Id do that deal in a heartbeat considering his age and superstar potential (of which weve obviously seen more than enough flashes of that potential).
    Home/Road splits are disconcerting, as RedHeadsRules mentioned...

Career Splits
    Home: .307/.389/.548/.937
    Road: .250/.325/.406/.731

Even in his best year, 2011, when he was an MVP candidate, his splits were eye popping:

2011 Splits

Home: .333/.411/.622/1.033
    Away: .246/.328/.439/.767

Do I think Upton could be very good outside of Arizona? Sure. He's still very young and a couple years away form entering his prime, but it's a buyer beware situation, IMO. People will be paying for his reputation/pedigree/whathaveyou based on numbers that are pretty inflated due to his home ballpark... but he's talented enough that he should adjust. Still, though, it's reasonable to question how much he's worth in a trade, given his lopsided splits and the fact that he's making $38.5 million over the next 3 years already.

I'd still love to have him on the Cubs

vCash
    I think our best bet is to wait til ST and let Garza show he's healthy. If he is, I think it'd be possible to get Upton without having to include Baez. Maybe send Garza, Barney, Maples, Candelario, and Hernandez or Amaya. They'd get a solid SP they could get compensation for, if he leaves, a starting SS that gives Gregorius time in AAA and that moves to 2B after the season, when Hill is a FA. Maples gives them another big arm, and Candelario and one of the MI gives them sorely needed position player prospects with upside. Maybe they throw Pennington back our way, to platoon with Valbuena at 2B. Salaries are even close to a match between Upton and Garza.

vCash
    Hudson had TJS in July.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by g737 View Post
    Kennedy
    Cahill
    McCarthy
    Hudson
    Skaggs
    Corbin

Do they really need another pitcher, though?

Home/Road splits are disconcerting, as RedHeadsRules mentioned...

Career Splits
    Home: .307/.389/.548/.937
    Road: .250/.325/.406/.731

Even in his best year, 2011, when he was an MVP candidate, his splits were eye popping:

2011 Splits

Home: .333/.411/.622/1.033
    Away: .246/.328/.439/.767

Do I think Upton could be very good outside of Arizona? Sure. He's still very young and a couple years away form entering his prime, but it's a buyer beware situation, IMO. People will be paying for his reputation/pedigree/whathaveyou based on numbers that are pretty inflated due to his home ballpark... but he's talented enough that he should adjust. Still, though, it's reasonable to question how much he's worth in a trade, given his lopsided splits and the fact that he's making $38.5 million over the next 3 years already.

I'd still love to have him on the Cubs
    I cant remember, but I think either Hudson or Kennedy had arm surgery and will miss like half the year. The contract isn't a bad one for us, but for them its a good chunk of their payroll. I don't think they take just Shark and Lake for Upton. I'm pretty sure the ss they just trade for in the Cleveland deal is rated higher than Lake

Maybe Shark, Baez for Upton and one of Collmenter/Corbin/Skaggs to ease the pain for us a little.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I felt odd about his home/away splits but coincidentally fangraphs just posted an article about it http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...effect-mirage/

vCash
    Berkman getting 10-11 mill out of Texas is interesting. Wonder if this takes them off Bourn now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davell View Post
    Berkman getting 10-11 mill out of Texas is interesting. Wonder if this takes them off Bourn now?
    Really cant believe Berkman is getting that much. I thought like 3-4 million plus incentives. That is crazy.

vCash
    Hudson had TJS in July.
    Ahh, did not know that.

vCash
    I think our best bet is to wait til ST and let Garza show he's healthy. If he is, I think it'd be possible to get Upton without having to include Baez. Maybe send Garza, Barney, Maples, Candelario, and Hernandez or Amaya. They'd get a solid SP they could get compensation for, if he leaves, a starting SS that gives Gregorius time in AAA and that moves to 2B after the season, when Hill is a FA. Maples gives them another big arm, and Candelario and one of the MI gives them sorely needed position player prospects with upside. Maybe they throw Pennington back our way, to platoon with Valbuena at 2B. Salaries are even close to a match between Upton and Garza.
    Wait for Garza to pay a bigger price? I like Upton but not nearly that much. Barney is redundant there anyway. Gregorious doesnt need much time in the minors if at all.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 01-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan87 View Post
    I cant remember, but I think either Hudson or Kennedy had arm surgery and will miss like half the year. The contract isn't a bad one for us, but for them its a good chunk of their payroll. I don't think they take just Shark and Lake for Upton. I'm pretty sure the ss they just trade for in the Cleveland deal is rated higher than Lake

Maybe Shark, Baez for Upton and one of Collmenter/Corbin/Skaggs to ease the pain for us a little.
    Lake was just an example of who I would give back with Shark. Basically a 6 thru 12 prospect in the Cubs system. If it has to be Baez, then I agree with you the Cubs should get a decent young pitcher back. And truthfully if it is going to be Shark and Baez, I would rather make it even bigger and get Headley plus a pitching prospect from SD.

vCash
    Hudson was labrum surgery actually... IIRC. I would love to add him to his staff if he's healthy.

Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast