Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I wouldn't mind if Bourn makes a decision soon..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadsRule View Post
    I wouldn't mind if Bourn makes a decision soon..
    I'm trying to hurry things along.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Well Swisher signed right? So that's one of the dominos to the whole "trading Soriano and/or signing Bourn" ordeal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eriod View Post
    This sounds rather like an ULTIMATUM.

Thank you for confirming the IDENTITY of the person being discussed.
    I like your post, it held a kind of Supremacy over the others....

vCash
    CCO has Hoyer's transcript from his interview. Nowhere does he mention us looking at a CFer on a longterm deal. However, he DOES say the offense needs a lot of work and CF is a position of need, both short and longterm. Hollandsworth asked specifically about Bourn and Hoyer said he couldn't comment on individual players. Basically, people will view the comment differently. Personally, something that hasn't been discussed, but could be a remedy to losing the 2nd round pick, is trading Soriano and receiving IFA money as part of the return. Something else I took from Hoyer's interview: He says "certainly" a bunch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamus Cubs View Post
    I like your post, it held a kind of Supremacy over the others....
    Man, you guys are leaving quite a LEGACY. Oh wait, he's not in that one...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I wouldn't trade Samardzija or Baez either one for Justin Upton. Both Uptons are considerably overrated.
    I think Samardzija is being overrated my you, or you are grossly underrating Justin Upton. While I would not deal both Samardzija and Baez for Upton, I would trade either + if need be. Upton is still very young with a great future. I could see OPS from 850 to 900 yearly from him. He is only 25 so he would be an awesome core piece.It is really funny to see the turn around with Samardzija. Last year there was a question of if he could be a starter. This year fans need to be blown away in a deal if he is going to be in it. To me last year was great for him. It raised his stock so the Cubs could get someone of quality for him. Upton is that quality. Maybe Shark and Lake for Upton and a minor league pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CUBluejays View Post
    He views the seconded rounder as a supplemental first rounder, that has value. Certain players with the right contract are worth giving up a pick for. Since the Cubs have made an offer to Bourn he would seem to be one of those players at the right price.
    Im sure the pick is factored into how much they want to pay Bourn's salary. Im sure theyve got a ballpark figure to where they feel Bourn is worth the 2nd Round pick and if the demand goes over that projection, they decide to keep the pick instead and try a different avenue.

vCash
    I love that both Hoyer and Epstein have stated that you get talent when it's available and not based on an imaginary, arbitrary schedule:

You can’t really go out and just like snap your fingers: ‘OK, now we’re ready. Now we’re going to spend money. You have to look at it as a gradual process with each offseason. Looking at the free-agent markets going forward for starting pitching, it was really attractive. There [aren’t] many [proven] guys that come out [at] 29 years old.” Obviously Hoyer was referencing the Jackson signing there, and underscoring the point: regardless of how close you see yourself to competing, if there’s a certain player you want, you can only sign him when he’s actually available.
    - Hoyer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Maybe Shark and Lake for Upton and a minor league pitcher.
    Shark and Lake alone for Upton would be a coup, but do the DBags really need more pitching? Surely, they're looking for some hitting prospects in return for Upton given their stockpile of young SP's.

vCash
    I think you read that wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    Shark and Lake alone for Upton would be a coup, but do the DBags really need more pitching? Surely, they're looking for some hitting prospects in return for Upton given their stockpile of young SP's.
    Yes, the Diamondbacks could use another pitcher. They have too many outfielders. But I agree with you on Shark and Lake for just Upton being enough. However, on this thread there will be some who claim that is too much for just Upton. That is why I added a minor league prospect back. One not as good as Lake. Either way the point is Shark and whoever for Upton and whoever would be a good deal. The only think concerning me about Upton is his away splits. Hopefully he is not just a product of the ballpark. But at 25, I think he will get better anyway.

I would also like, instead of Upton, the same deal given for Headley.

vCash
    Yes, the Diamondbacks could use another pitcher. They have too many outfielders. But I agree with you on Shark and Lake for just Upton being enough. However, on this thread there will be some who claim that is too much for just Upton. That is why I added a minor league prospect back. One not as good as Lake. Either way the point is Shark and whoever for Upton and whoever would be a good deal. The only think concerning me about Upton is his away splits. Hopefully he is not just a product of the ballpark. But at 25, I think he will get better anyway.

I would also like, instead of Upton, the same deal given for Headley.
    How has Upton fallen this far in people's eyes? Id do that deal in a heartbeat considering his age and superstar potential (of which weve obviously seen more than enough flashes of that potential). Yes, its a risk due to his inconsistencies, but still that's not that huge of a payment to receive that kind of potential (shoulder concerns not factored because that's still an unknown as far as we all know for sure).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimbrH2001 View Post
    How has Upton fallen this far in people's eyes? Id do that deal in a heartbeat considering his age and superstar potential (of which weve obviously seen more than enough flashes of that potential). Yes, its a risk due to his inconsistencies, but still that's not that huge of a payment to receive that kind of potential (shoulder concerns not factored because that's still an unknown as far as we all know for sure).
    Well, his year was not as good last year, as the year before. Factor that in along with the rise in value of Shark and you get people differing on if Upton is worth it or not. The issue is, do GM's feel Upton's value has regressed? I so than maybe the Cubs could get lucky and get him for less than ever imagined possible. IMO he would be a huge get. But his splits do concern me a little. In a way, I think I would rather have Headley. But I believe he will cost more.

vCash
    Well, his year was not as good last year, as the year before. Factor that in along with the rise in value of Shark and you get people differing on if Upton is worth it or not. The issue is, do GM's feel Upton's value has regressed? I so than maybe the Cubs could get lucky and get him for less than ever imagined possible. IMO he would be a huge get. But his splits do concern me a little. In a way, I think I would rather have Headley. But I believe he will cost more.
    I still do the deal because our pitching depth has improved considerably. Im not a believer (certainly wont rule it out though) that Shark will wind up an Ace, which I believe is the final piece to this rotation. Now adding Upton will also make moving Soriano a lot easier which could help replenish what we lost in the Upton deal (some, not all of course). In this scenario, I resign Garza and look to add that final Ace piece next offseason. I just cannot see a scenario where Upton is not at the very least, an above average player at his position that still hasn't hit his prime age years and has a chance to explode hitting in Wrigley's dimensions half of every season. That being said, if the shoulder concerns are legitimate, I walk away entirely.

Page 6 of 92 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast