Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1369
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by excillon View Post
    Scott Hairston? Yuck.

Hairston's a good guy to have on the bench if you're contending. All he can do is hit lefties. I'd feel better letting a young guy face lefties and learn than have Hairston up there taking away at bats. I'd say it's a horrible move, but at 3MM a year, I guess it's not bad. It's not Upton, but at this point in the offseason I'm like "meh, whatever". Our best signing was a reliever...so I'm already thinking it's a lost cause, especially with ****ing Ian Stewart and Valbuena manning 3B while struggling to hit .200 and an OBP of .275.
    So much of this is wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Someone include Emma Stone in the new thread; she's the cubs mascot for 2013.
    No.

vCash
    Ok, lets run with that. What RF do we have ready? Well it's supposed to be Dejesus...because right now he's our CF and in that particular region of the OF he SUCKS ***. Schierholtz, it's not a blockbuster move that's gonna make us compete, but I will concede it's a solid signing. I get it. What I don't get is why in 2 years all Theo Epstein has done is get us Rizzo (which was a great move), and a shitload of mediocrity. Soler and those other don't count, because god knows if they even make it. On a winning team, Dejesus is nothing more than a bench/platoon guy, but he's a starting OF on the Cubs. Our "ace" Garza, is at best a 2-3 starter on most teams (although that was Hendry). Nothing can be said right now of Shark as he had one year starting. Even teams rebuilding that want to win down the road make SOME good moves other than drafting and international signings. We really can't get ONE good player on this team, instead of a bunch of platoon guys, bench guys, 3rd tier pitchers (although I do like Ejax, he's underrated), and guys who we keep saying "are gonna be good"? I'm tired of having to talk about how the Cubs are "gonna be good" when the ****ing Cards, White Sox, and a slew of others are going to the playoffs. Even the damn Royals are in better shape than us. To top all that off, that ******* Theo says "we're gonna compete" this year?! With what?! And people wonder why I say **** Theo Epstein and always bring up the fact that Duquette never gets credit for building a large portion of the winning BoSox. Want proof of that? Look at the Orioles.

Sorry for the rant, man. It's nothing personal, not trying to pick a fight. Just sick of our FO, who in my opinion are starting to look more like con men than a real front office. Trades/signings should be made to win, but once in a while, you should make one if for nothing else than giving a fanbase someone to hope for and rally behind. Someone like a Justin Upton for instance (although not at what Towers is asking), a David Price, you get the idea.
    Yeah let the fans decide who we trade for...that's smart.

vCash
    People ragging on Theo and Co. make me LOL. Like we were going to be WS champs in a year or two... building a baseball team takes time. He didn't exactly inherit a great roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OldStyleCubbies View Post
    No.
    Sorry mate, I decided this weeks ago...we held a press conference.
    Down in this vagina mine.

vCash
    Sorry for the rant, man. It's nothing personal, not trying to pick a fight. Just sick of our FO, who in my opinion are starting to look more like con men than a real front office. Trades/signings should be made to win, but once in a while, you should make one if for nothing else than giving a fanbase someone to hope for and rally behind. Someone like a Justin Upton for instance (although not at what Towers is asking), a David Price, you get the idea.
    [Insert Nathan Fillion gif}
    Screw sabermetics.

vCash
    Heyman listed us as one of 8 teams that could land Bourn. The other 7 are the Rangers, Mariners, Orioles, Braves, Rays, Dodgers, and Mets. Says we've agreed with Hairston but do like Bourn a lot, depending on how high it goes. I wonder if we're prepared to move our offer up from where he rejected it or if that truly was our last try?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Yeah let the fans decide who we trade for...that's smart.
    I never said that. You missed the point. However, you don't think that fans should have at least a bit of a say? I mean, it's fans that keep the damn operation going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ST.maarten'stop View Post
    But if what is being asked for is unreasonable and absurd in their eyes.. Like Towers asking for Castro or Bourn asking for 100 mill should they still go out and force the issue to get just guys or Stand still hoping a big name comes available so they could try acquire that big name and please fans? Or would it be more logical to fill your gaps temporarily with resources that are available at a reasonable price? I choose the latter...

It's been noted over and over cubs showed interest in every impact talent only to move on because the asking prices were unreasonable. It takes 2 to dance you cant for teams to give up premier talent if they dont want to, you cant make them lower their asking price for such a player just like you cant force a free agent to sign with you at the price you want. Patience!! this year team is already much improved compared to last and they do have staple players in Castro and Rizzo where you choose to believe in them or not.. you dont gauge success by the amount of shiny new toys your acquire each offseason.

Your rant is like that of a spoiled child who whines because he didnt get want he want despite the best efforts to deliver the goods...I am very pleased with the front office so far. This season sets us up to go after premier talent next offseason now that most of the Role players are in place.. While holding a shitload of potential trade bait to acquire prospects..
    Normally, I'd agree. But how can one be a spoiled child when they are constantly denied, promised false hopes, etc? Last time I checked, we weren't in Tampa, KC, Oakland, or Seattle. We're a BIG market team, one of the wealthiest no less. And we can't put together a winning team in 2-3 years?

The point is while I do agree wholeheartedly with building from the drafts and international signings, I ask why we can't do both? How did we not go after Greinke? We have the money, we could have done it, and he's still young enough to be a viable starter when Rizzo, Castro, and hopefully others come around. You can't sit here and say Theo did not drop the ball on that one. How can we not trade Soriano to someone for a decent return, especially if we're eating a chunk of his salary? People are knocking Towers expectations for Upton, but I have to wonder what they're REALLY asking for out of Soriano.

Although I guess overall I should be happy, I mean, we are talking about the guy who signed Dice-K, Lackey, and Crawford. And lets not bring up the JD Drew fiasco. Theo Epstein is terrible at signing free agents, let's face it. Maybe he's got an eye for talent, which he does I'll give people that, but that makes him a scouting director, not a GM, and certainly not a President of Operations. Those people have to be able to land both.

vCash
    Greinke may have told us right off the bat he wasn't interested. According to reports earlier in the iffseason, a few players shut us down immediately, because they didn't see us as a contender from day one. Greinke and Upton very well could have been who these players were. They went after Sanchez, my honest guess is they would have went after Greinke, if they thought they had a chance. The FO has done an excellent job in FA this offseason. Upgraded our rotation and bullpen a bunch and added a few guys offensively who'll be positional upgrades too. Didn't affect our longterm outlook whatsoever and have a team that has a punchers chance to surprise this year.

vCash
    Normally, I'd agree. But how can one be a spoiled child when they are constantly denied, promised false hopes, etc? Last time I checked, we weren't in Tampa, KC, Oakland, or Seattle. We're a BIG market team, one of the wealthiest no less. And we can't put together a winning team in 2-3 years?

The point is while I do agree wholeheartedly with building from the drafts and international signings, I ask why we can't do both? How did we not go after Greinke? We have the money, we could have done it, and he's still young enough to be a viable starter when Rizzo, Castro, and hopefully others come around. You can't sit here and say Theo did not drop the ball on that one. How can we not trade Soriano to someone for a decent return, especially if we're eating a chunk of his salary? People are knocking Towers expectations for Upton, but I have to wonder what they're REALLY asking for out of Soriano.

Although I guess overall I should be happy, I mean, we are talking about the guy who signed Dice-K, Lackey, and Crawford. And lets not bring up the JD Drew fiasco. Theo Epstein is terrible at signing free agents, let's face it. Maybe he's got an eye for talent, which he does I'll give people that, but that makes him a scouting director, not a GM, and certainly not a President of Operations. Those people have to be able to land both.
    This post is flatout ignorance... I wont even bother..

vCash

The idea that this team just ignores everyone good has long been an awful idea. Who saw Anibal Sanchez coming? No one. Not one big time rumor, even, about them. But here we were just about to sign him. There's no knowing who this FO has contacted this offseason.

I swear, people don't remember that there are players who simply don't want to be here. Not everyone and their mother wants to come to Chicago.
    #ClutchTime

vCash
    What's the big JD Drew fiasco? Drew was a good player.

vCash
    We have another fan who has mud on their glasses...just when two of the most anti front office posters start to see progress we get a newbie wanting to bash all the positives. In the infamous words of one of the other front offices bashers SHUT UP...
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    I'm still not dancing-in-the-aisles thrilled with them just yet. They torched one season last year. This year, they haven't soaked the roster in gasoline, but they haven't exactly put away the matches yet either. We'll see.

Page 80 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast